Xbox 720 reveal set for April 26 – rumour

Monday, 25th February 2013 00:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft will unveil its new console on April 26, CVG’s Rob Crossley has said on Twitter, citing a trusted source. Both VG247 and CVG’s sources had earlier indicated an April event, and a recent domain registration hints that we don’t have long to wait. The PlayStation 4 was announced last week for a holiday 2013 launch.

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. LuLshuck

720>poopstation 3.1

2. salarta

@1 (LuLshuck): poopstation 3.1 > 720. You can handle vital bodily functions with a poopstation, poopstation does what 720don’t.

Waiting a couple months sounds wise, releasing it too close to the PS4 reveal invites people measuring the 720 by PS4 standards instead of by its own qualities.

3. Erthazus

I hope they won’t focus on the fucking kinect too much.

and bring decent developers that will anounce and show things, not like Square Enix that showed the demo that was last year or Blizzard that announced a PC port of Diablo 3 that is coming to PS3 and PS4 or… 4 dudes that is coming to the stage and do nothing and announce that Destiny is coming to the PS4 (although everyone knew that) with exclusive content. Well, great, the only problem that no one knows even what the game is about. Lol.

PS4 announcement was mediocre and HERE IS WHY: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/qcv4np/playstation-4-playstation-meeting-takeaways

4. salarta

@3: Microsoft is focusing on the idea of the 720 being an “entertainment console,” which means they’ll probably make the video game aspect into a diminished portion of their announcement and focus more heavily on streaming video. That’s my guess anyway.

5. Mike W

Judging by some of the comments here the 8th generation console war has officially begun and we haven’t even seen them yet.

6. Erthazus

@4, If that’s true, then that will be awesome because I won’t care for that console anymore.

If they will show the majority of stuff that Sony showed + they will say that console need “always Online” and “used games protection system” with kinect 2.0 features, skype and multimedia stuff that no one cares about, then they can start digging their own Xbox grave which is great.

although Skype for gaming is awesome. I use it on my PC all the time. It’s much better then Xbox Live voice chat or any voice chat.

7. salarta

@5: If you mean just this article, the only person fitting that statement is LuLshuck. If you mean overall, that’s not too surprising; the 8th generation console war essentially started even before we had any hints to specs or designs.

8. Mike W

True

9. Dragon246

They are creating another media box it seems, hopefully they will concentrate on games, but their track record isn’t too promising.

10. freedoms_stain

I’d ignore “LuLshuck”. Fairly certain it’s an alt account for a banned user. He seems to have slowly been ramping up the troll dial ever since he started showing up again. At this point almost everything he posts is, at best, pointless trash.

11. Moonwalker1982

They don’t seem to be in any kind of hurry to show the new console right after Sony, they really don’t seem that worried. Some people say they will use this time to quickly alter the specs, but i really doubt that’s going to happen.

Long story short….i hope MS can give us a great and entertaining show that makes me look forward to buying the new console. No doubt we are going to be seeing Kinect 2 stuff and frankly…i’ll give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe it will actually be good this time. No doubt there will be talk about apps and services, but there HAVE to be talk about games too and also a bit of footage.

12. hitnrun

@3 “I hope they won’t focus on the fucking kinect too much.”

You might spend your hope on better things.

Whatever you think of the PS4′s direction – and I was none too impressed – the Xbox 361′s trajectory has been set ever since MS saw the money the Wii made and jumped up and down on their top hats. It’s been obvious with every step they’ve taken in the last 5 years that they bitterly regret making a gamer’s console when there was that kind of casual money to be had. Kind of ironic because they had far and away the best platform for gamers for a number of years and they probably could have kept it if they didn’t throw it all away to chase the casual unicorn.

It’s true that we haven’t seen anything yet, but mark me down for “worst case scenario.” Microsoft’s design decisions have forked in exactly one direction since NXE.

13. G1GAHURTZ

“Bitterly regret”?

How dramatic…

14. kmad4

Xbox fanboys will be fagboys and ps fanboys will be fanboys it’s a never ending cycle but Im sticking to the system with the best exclusives Playstation >>>

15. melonbuster1

I’ll have all of them. Because at the end of the day I love halo and I love god of war and I love Zelda. So buying all of them is the only option. Now who I play the most depends on who has the games I buy the most. So good luck to all because I just want good games

16. melonbuster1

By the way I see most of you banging on Xbox720 for being online and having Kinect 2 and the used game thing but Sony is doing the same thing. Online is what the Ps4 is built for the controller and eyetoy is Kinect knock off and when Microsoft talks about the game lock system so will Sony. So come on guys stop being hypocritical when it comes to them

17. mistermogul

@12 – “the Xbox 361′s trajectory has been set ever since MS saw the money the Wii made and jumped up and down on their top hats.”

This is very true though even MS are intelligent enough to realise that the casual market have moved to smartphones/tablets right?

I hope Kinect is just an extra with the 720 rather than the main event… Otherwise I may find myself in the PS4 camp…

18. nikk900

I can imagine microsoft having a big, spectacular event with dancing women and celebs. But ultimately they will mostly talk about kinect 2.0 and social interactions. They need new games, they can’t rely on Halo/Gears/Forza and I’m interested to see what they will bring.

19. ps3fanboy

mickey$oft have been raiding the casual unicorn train for years now. the xbox dumbboys are in for a brutal awaking. so i am looking forward to this reveal of the new kinect facebook media whore box on april, it will be a laugh.

20. M. K.

I guess we wont see any games. I mean, sony also didn’t really show something right, but still, everyone is hyped and waiting for e3. So either MS is going the same way, telling a lot but not showing much or, they’ll get the PGR, Halo, Alan Wake train rolling and pwn Sony’s presentation.

Anyway, I’m not expecting much, I just want so see the new Xbox and compare my impressions :)

21. manamana

Pointless fanboyism is pointless. Only thing that worries me, is how ugly my telly will look with two sets of 3D cameras on top.

22. noamlol2

i’m considering a PS4 already but i know microsoft has much better software for consoles

still if they keep the adds on my xbox they can go suck my balls

paying for premium and getting adds…

23. Espers

@1 720 = monkey-box (referencing kinect :P)
    even the name is lame, imagine 10 years from now: ” microsoft next console monkey-box Xbox1440 ” <== LMAO