UK Charts: Dead Space 3 takes first

Monday, 11th February 2013 09:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Space 3 has space jumped its way to the top of the UK Charts, toppling last week’s champion Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch.

Visceral’s horror shooter has reigned supreme following middling-to-high reviews. We’ve got all the scores here.

Fans engaged in something of a backlash over Dead Space 3′s use of microtransactions when crafting weapons. Many said they’d vote with their wallet and refrain from buying the game. It hasn’t worked.

Here’s the full chart:

16. Football Manager
17. Lego The Lord Of The Rings
18. Lego Batman 2: Dc Super Heroes
19. Madden NFL 13
20. Forza Motorsport 4

1. daytripper

Sales are down 26% compared to Dead Space 2 launch, maybe it has worked a little

#1 1 year ago
  2. Wezzulus

That whole backlash on the microtransactions, while it’s possible to find ration seals in game to buy those same packs… It’s all a bit silly. Fact is, is that Visceral games once again delivered a solid experience which provides as much fun to play as the first two. I’m having a blast with it anyway, still have to try co-op though.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

It’s a shame they had to fuck up the game with the micro-transactions, because i had the chance to rent it on the weekend and it’s probably the best Dead Space.

Let’s be honest here, Dead Space has never been scary. The jumpscares were always incredibly predictable and that’s all the game had: Jumpscares.

Oh, the lights went out, i wonder what could happen next? MMMMmmmmmmmJUMPSCARE!

There are SIDEMISSIONS now! That’s my wetdream coming true! I always wanted a space exploration game and now i have it. One side mission takes you to an abandoned spaceship. You enter it through space and find out what happened on that vessel. It’s fun and interesting and the exploration is usually worth it, because you get more parts which you can use to build better weapons.

I went to the ice planet, before i had to bring it back. The ice planet had some sidemissions as well. Maybe i will rent it again. I love the used-future environments.

Only thing i don’t like is one enemy design in particular. The Three Tentacle monster.

It looks stupid.

#3 1 year ago
  4. daytripper

@3 why not buy it? Support the developers etc

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

The angry internet minority does not represent 26% of sales. I assume the drop was to do with the lack of marketing, compared to DS2.

#5 1 year ago
  6. RandomTiger

@3 The first and the second game had great tension, in order for that to work I suggest:

1. Play it total darkness
    2. Play it with no one in your house and no allow distractions from phone etc
    3. Play it at the highest difficulty you can scrape by on, avoid new game plus and DLC that effects balancing if you need to

You talk about jumpscares as if something jumps out and scares you and thats it. In my game I had to worry quite a lot about getting killed, not using what was left of my pitiful ammo reserves and generally not getting overwhelmed. For me this made it scary.

Ultimately if you don’t want to be scared you wont be but you are kind of missing the point.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bomba Luigi

That Skyrim is still there is so awesome. In more than One Year after Release we won’t see Dead Space 3 on that List.

#7 1 year ago
  8. loki

Crapspace 3

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 it’s not crap. Have you played it?

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

@4: Meh. What if i buy it and that one sidemission was all the space exploration i get? I don’t know if i can get back to space once i was on the ice planet. Besides, REVENGEANCE is coming out this month as well, i’ll rent that game first too and then i’ll probably decide which of the two i’m going to buy.

Isn’t Crysis 3 coming out this month as well?

I only have so much money.

@6: Yeah, if i have to do all those things in order to get scared, i would argue that it isn’t really a scary game.

You could play Condemned in a well-light room full of people and you’ll still get scared.

… that fucking guy in the locker. Always gets me.

@9: Don’t do it, Dave. He’s never here to talk.

#10 1 year ago
  11. RandomTiger

@9 The demo was a bit crap

#11 1 year ago
  12. Dave Cook

@11 the demo isn’t the full product. I actually like this game. I was sceptical as hell at first. It’s decent.

#12 1 year ago
  13. viralshag

Vote with your wallets! I know I won’t be! Mwahahaha.

Might pick this up now and play it in a year. Just because I love EA and I want them to have my MONEY!

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

@12: Just proves to me that if anyone is interested in sales, should abandon demos. I’d argue (and some vg247 users have confirmed that) that DMC sold less units because most people thought they’ve seen it all with the Demo. Same goes for DS3. The full version is like a completely different game.

The game that seems to be suffering from it the most from the demo release is Spec Ops – The Line. A game which didn’t even get started until Chapter 9 or so.

#14 1 year ago
  15. viralshag

@14, I have that on Steam but I haven’t played it yet. How long is it roughly?

I’ll admit the demo put me right off. I thought it was awful and the only reason I bought it was because it was dirt cheap and I have seen people on here arguing how good it is.

#15 1 year ago
  16. heroes159

OK. This is Officially my First Post on Vg247. I always browse this website & i don’t know why i never registered until few days ago. i always read the news that Dave Cook Brings us. I wanted to thank Dave Cook for Bringing us News. Thank You Dave. I really like your articles :)

Anyway, talking about DS3. I really loved Dead Space 1 & 2. But still didn’t bought Dead Space 3 coz I have too much games on my backlog ryt now to play. But I heard & few of my Friends also said the game is really good. reviews are also good for Dead Space 3. Its really good to see DS3 taking 1st on UK Charts. I hope more people buy this game. I really want this game to success.

@ 8 Plz don’t do that if you never played the game.

#16 1 year ago
  17. YoungZer0

@15: 6 hours. I recommend you take the time and play through it in one go. By the end, you will be as exhausted as the main character and every “Fuck you!” he throws at the enemy will leave your lips as well.

Take the time and check out all the ending as well. As they they all tell you a little bit more about the main character.

It is – in my opinion – the first true anti-war game.

#17 1 year ago
  18. daytripper

@10 Meh? I was only saying if you like the game so much why not buy it. Fuck sake you can’t talk to some of you, ridiculously highly strung

#18 1 year ago
  19. YoungZer0

I kind of boggles my mind how a simple “meh” can spark such a reaction. I didn’t mean it in any negative way.

#19 1 year ago
  20. daytripper

Ok my bad sorry. I would appreciate it if you would pay for the repairs for the laptop I just threw at the wall in such furiousness

:-p

#20 1 year ago
  21. YoungZer0

@20: How am I supposed to pay for Dead Space 3 then? O:

#21 1 year ago
  22. daytripper

Ill pay ok? Ill pay for everything Arggghhhhhh help!!

(Hate Mondays)

#22 1 year ago
  23. YoungZer0

daytripper smash? 0:

#23 1 year ago
  24. daytripper

Something like that :-)

#24 1 year ago
  25. Sublimeone

@ RandomTiger “Play it at the highest difficulty you can scrape by on, avoid new game plus and DLC that effects balancing if you need to”

I disagree, the first highest difficultly – impossible, I breezed through it easy pezy. I would have suggested playing on the Pure survival mode, to truly enjoy the game. That simply means playing the game twice to feel………., since it is only available after first completing the game( new game plus).

#25 1 year ago
  26. Clupula

There’s too much other stuff that I’m excited about (God of War: Ascension, Metal Gear Rising, Atelier Ayesha, Injustice) for me to worry about Dead Space 3 right now. I’ll probably pick it up around the summer or so.

#26 1 year ago
  27. SameeR_Fisher

@YoungZero: a demo is there to make people’s mind, it is not my fault or anyone’s fault if the demo segments SUCK, that’s EA/Publisher/Developer mistake for releasing a demo representing the worst of their game.

A demo is a must for alot of gamers, cause it help people asses if the title is worth it or not, you either release a demo to grab people’s attention, or you release a bad one and people walk away.

See you don’t have enough money to buy everything right ?!, it’s the same for me and many others, you live in a place where renting is available, I don’t, so to me when I am skeptical about the game no matter how many footage they release, then a demo is a must.

#27 1 year ago
  28. ManuOtaku

I do like the game a lot it is a fine dead space experience, as for the microtansactions i dont mind it really, if they just let you have the same things while playing the game.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Clupula

Not releasing a demo is pretty fucking stupid. The demo for this made it go from a “not ever going to buy” to “going to buy when there’s not much else out.”

#29 1 year ago
  30. xino

anyone got the teslar elevator code from Amazon?

freaking bastard didn’t send mine when i preorder before 8th!

#30 1 year ago
  31. danC

you can buy cheap dead space 3 from inexus.us/dead-space-3/?affiliate=k10 (they accept paysafecard, paypal, credit card) technical help is very useful

#31 1 year ago