Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will have DLC

Thursday, 31st January 2013 22:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will offer downloadable missions, Dengeki PlayStation reports. According to Siliconera‘s translation, DLC will include VR missions – a franchise staple – as well as side-stories about other characters. It’s not clear if this means you’ll be able to play as someone besides Raiden. No date or pricing details were given, and western release has not been confirmed. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance arrives on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in the US on February 19, in Australia on February 21 and in Europe on February 22.

1. Hirmetrium

OLDSNAKEOLDSNAKEOLDSNAKEOLDSNAKEOLDSNAKEOLDSNAKEOLDSNAKEOLDSNAKEOLDSNAKE

Sorry, did I get confused there?

2. theevilaires

I played the demo again last night and was able to cut down that stuff I wasn’t before. I still think the game is meh and have changed my mind to not get it day 1.

3. salarta

I’m expecting this won’t happen, and it will be okay and understood when it doesn’t, but I’d like Naomi to be in the game whether main story or DLC.

4. Clupula

@3 – Naomi is dead. Unless it’s a prequel DLC that goes into what Grey Fox was doing, I doubt she’d be in it.

5. salarta

@4: People keep saying that, and it’s because they’re not taking the time to think about how the characters and the Metal Gear Solid series operate.

First of all, big, shocking reveals are common for this series. Remember when Big Boss was dead, and then we suddenly found out he wasn’t in MGS4? Yes, his “life” was pathetic, but he was still alive. Remember Gray Fox? He was presumed dead, but in MGS we discovered he was made into that Cyborg Ninja. On the grounds of shocking reveals alone, Naomi could come back in some other form.

Second, we have to consider both Naomi’s nature and how she “died.” Naomi’s nature is and always was sneaky and deceptive. She looks like she’s helping you, then it turns out she’s infected you with a different strain of FOXDIE. She seems to be on your side, then the enemy’s, then yours again. With a woman like that, what’s to say that she wasn’t lying when she said she had cancer, that the contents of the syringe that she used really did deactivate her nanomachines, or even that the cancer would somehow play “catch up” to kill her? Plus, we never actually see her die in the game; all we see is Snake escaping the room and leaving Naomi behind with the assumption that she was going to die there. For all we know, with Naomi aware that she would be abducted again for her knowledge of nanomachines if anyone thought she was still alive, she might have faked her death so she could go on to live a “normal” life without the worry of something else coming for her.

Lastly: even if we assume that Naomi really did die in MGS4, there is nothing that says all Revengeance DLC “must” reflect canon. Who’s to say they couldn’t make DLC where characters like Naomi, Vamp, Emma Emmerich and The Boss are still alive?

6. Clupula

Well, it’d be pretty lame if it didn’t reflect canon. I don’t want to play some worthless alternate universe bullshit. I had actually been about to cancel my pre-order of this when the rumors were going around that this was non-canon.

7. Dark

@6 , don’t worry the game IS canon

8. Clupula

@7 – Oh, I know. I was the one who corrected them with that video the last time they said that in an article on here.

9. Clupula

But I’m saying if it’s side-story DLC, it’d be very lame if it’s non-canon side-stories.

10. salarta

@6: … I thought it was established that this is an alternative direction to what comes after MGS4, and not expected to be canonical in terms of whatever will come with MGS5 or whatever they call the next true sequel to MGS4. I don’t really mind whether it is or isn’t canon, just saying I was under the impression this is essentially a different timeline. And I suppose all I can say is that you not liking and not buying alternate universe takes of things is your prerogative; I’m happy to buy such things so long as the game pays due respect to the past of the IP and its characters, rather than being some kind of “new canon” with ideas for a new IP forced into an existing IP where they don’t belong.

11. Clupula

@10 – Nope. It is completely canon. All this happens in the same universe, the same history, as the other main line Metal Gear games. The developers never said this was an alternate history. That was something that journalists came up with after Platinum said they wanted it to take place after MGS4, so they would have more freedom. Kojima Productions clarified what that statement meant and made it known that they were making sure the story fits into the canon. Platinum are just handling the gameplay. Having Raiden be a cyborg the entire game frees them up rather than having to worry about him being a different character as a human.

I actually doubt they’re going to do another Solid game after 4. I imagine all of them will be prequels of some sort. There’s still a ton of Big Boss stories to tell. And Kojima has said he’s wanted to do a game with The Boss as the main character for a long time.

12. salarta

@11: Watched the start of the video posted after I posted my comment, it does look like Revengeance is indeed canon, thanks to both of you for the correction.

In any case, I see nothing wrong with DLC being an alternate universe/timeline, and I still say that even if none of the DLC was alternate universe/timeline, there’s absolutely nothing that says Naomi could never turn out to still be alive or be brought back to life in the series in some form or another. I’m not saying you’re among the types of people I’m about to describe by any means, but I think many people that are very ardently against the idea of Naomi returning are just filled with irrational hatred for the character and are trying to find excuses to keep her excluded from future games in the franchise. If they have valid points then I’m glad to discuss those points, but what I typically see is people trying to deny that possibility under very vague notions that it would somehow be “wrong.”

13. YoungZer0

The Metal Gear Universe is like a comic book. Nobody stays dead. There’s just too much Fanboy serving involved and Hideo doesn’t seem to have the balls to go through with the more radical ideas.

I have a feeling we’re going to see Solidus Snake in MGR.

14. Ireland Michael

@10, 11, Kojima has said its place in official canon will be decided entirely based on its reception.