1. Fin

in b4 h8!!!!!

2. Clupula

Okay, you’re taking the piss now. Two articles on this in one day?

This just as easily could have been integrated into the other DmC article from today.

DmC247.com

3. angel831han

I’ve been wondering lately most of the game going prequel?
    Guess they need some ideas for the sequal

Dragon Nest Blogger.

4. Greek God

Good scores but didnt help the game anyway lol

5. Stephany Nunneley

@2 If I were taking the piss you would know it, trust me. Also, it was Dave’s article earlier, and this is a different shift.

6. Clupula

@5 – Ah, got it! So, there’s a schedule to who gets to put up the next DmC article.

What’s the ETA on the next one?

7. Dave Cook

@6 Give it a rest man eh? You’re crossing a line between friendly debate and being a dick. You’re usually making great points on these pages dude, so this is a shame to see. Reel it in a little if you can.

8. Stephany Nunneley

@6 Don’t poke the bear.

9. Dave Cook

@8 I’m the bear, right? :P

10. Stephany Nunneley

@9 Nope. I’m the bear today. ;)

11. Ownsin

I dislike the new DMC and honestly no offense, but i feel like VG247 is pushing DMC news around like its sponsoring it. Clupula may sound like a jerk when he says it, but he does have a point…

12. Clupula

@7 – Dave, I’m half Italian, asking me to reel it in is like asking me to stop breathing. lol

Alright, I’ll play nice. I like you guys.

13. Samoan Spider

14. Clupula

Although “Don’t poke the bear” makes me giggle, having as many gay friends as I do. I’m going to have to use that phrase one day.

15. Dave Cook

@12 Trust me man, I know :) I never know when to shut up. I know how it is.

16. Dave Cook

@11 we report on everything out there. Something about DmC was out there, so we reported on it. There’s no agenda dude.

17. Ownsin

@16 Okay my bad… its just that there has been way too many posts about DMC in these past few days. And it’s getting kinda annoying, but yeah i get the part about reporting the news. I mean after all i visit this website a lot since you report about everything :).

18. Ireland Michael

@7 One guy pokes the staff a few times and gets a public lecture, yet specific people consistently harass, mock and insult countless members of the site and get off scot free?

Really? You fucking kidding me, Dave?

I’m the first person to stand up for Steph on here, but that’s grade A double standard bullshit right there.

19. Dave Cook

@18 it wasn’t pre-meditated that way mate no. Don’t read too much into it please.

20. Ireland Michael

@19 Never said it was pre-meditated. Just total double standards.

21. Dave Cook

@17 thanks, that’s cool to know, glad you like it :)

@20 I know the kind of reader behaviour you’re talking about and yes it’s unacceptable, but no, it’s not double standards dude. I’ve just got less energy by the day to debate things like this with each passing day. I appreciate you flagging it as you did on Twitter recently though, sincerely.

22. Da Man

Amazing trailer, unfortunately still doesn’t make me go and buy the game.

Could you guys please check if Michael O’Connor created this account? Speaking of double standards:

Offtopic: you better edit that post, O’Connor.

23. Hellhound30x

“DmC247.com” ROFLMAO!!!

24. Hellhound30x

@#12 Clupula
    I just wanted to say, I totally get where you’re coming from man, and I agree with you 100%

25. Stephany Nunneley

@22 Either draw pistols at dawn or end it now. Stay on topic like you did at the start of your post. Save the rest for the forums if you absolutely MUST.

Seriously, everyone, singling other users out in news posts or baiting them is getting old around here. Nothing wrong with debate, but blatant baiting is just childish.

End of. Now, stay on topic.

26. Edo

I kind of like the new DmC…less cheese(still some,but DEFINITELY less)shorter cutscenes,and story that actually makes sense(at least so far I am mid-game to be honest).The only thing I kind of dislike is the occasional weird camera angles…why did they leave those..I have no idea.

27. Ireland Michael

@25 Thank you Steph.

28. salarta

It will be interesting to see how things go if DmC ends up with worse or even equal sales to DMC4. Capcom and Ninja Theory are going out of their way to market the game as much as possible, whereas DMC4 didn’t get much in the way of promotion (to my memory anyway) AND the game came out at a terrible time when not many people had PS3s (I would’ve bought DMC4 when it came out, but I had yet to buy a PS3).

I’ve also come to the conclusion that VG247 has been paid off to some extent by Capcom and Ninja Theory to promote their game. Maybe articles and reviews where VG247 staff explicitly praised the game were also paid off, maybe not, but I find it extremely hard to believe that a “news site” would naturally be inclined to cover one specific game with this much exposure and so many articles of endless praise. Most other sites would have left something like an accolades trailer made after a game was released to its own devices, but somehow because it’s DmC, such a trailer warrants an article. A trailer before the game released to showcase new information about the game’s content, or to reveal a newly added feature or DLC, makes sense. One that’s just the company trying to sell their product, no. That stops being news and becomes advertising under the guise of “news.”

29. Ireland Michael

@28 While it would obviously effect the chances of a sequel, sales have never been a sign of quality.

“I’ve also come to the conclusion that VG247 has been paid off to some extent by Capcom and Ninja Theory to promote their game.”

Tinfoil hats! Get your tinfoil hats here!

Lord forbid people just happen to have an opinion that isn’t you. Imagine that, huh? Brenna, Dave, Pat, Steph and everyone else breaks their backs supporting and writing for this site. Don’t be an ungrateful prick.

All you’re doing is proving Brenna’s article right.

30. salarta

@29: Sales aren’t a sign of quality, this is true. There are many great games that had poor sales, e.g. God Hand. But the point is, Capcom and Ninja Theory forced this reboot as an attempt to reach more into the larger mainstream audience, no matter what they may say afterward about doing it with “quality” as their main goal. This game doing worse than DMC4 sales-wise would be a vivid sign that they were wrong on this count.

As for your response to my comment about VG247 being paid off to promote this game, I don’t think it’s “tinfoil hat” territory at all. I explicitly gave my reason why: massive overexposure toward one game where all the articles make it out to be some kind of gift from the heavens, culminating in this article. Until this article, I was able to take all past articles concerning DmC as either legitimate news fare or simply the team honestly and responsibly giving their impressions. Then this comes along, which is really just a not-so-subtle case of VG247 advertising the game for Capcom and Ninja Theory.

Or is VG247 going to start showing off every single trailer for every single game that video game companies have recently released, with no regard for how much of a name the company is? Are they going to provide nonstop coverage of Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory interviews, sales numbers and trailers, including trailers made post-release for the sole purpose of flaunting any high scores they get? Is Bayonetta 2 going to get that? Or the next console Mistwalker game?

If VG247 is going to give all upcoming games the exact same level of exposure as they’ve done for DmC, then fine, I take back my assertion that they’ve likely been paid off. Otherwise, I would have to say that it’s likely they have been paid to promote the game, as making an article all about showing off a post-release trailer meant to hype the game up by its accolades suggests about them.

Whatever work they do for the site, putting up an accolades trailer is hardly breaking their backs. I’m sure they put some hard work into the site, but unless they’re chasing down secretive leads to try and root out corruption and mistreatment in the video game industry on the level of ea_spouses or something to that effect, “breaking their backs” seems like an exaggeration to me. It’s fairly simple to meet with a person and conduct an interview, or get invited to a fancy playtest by a company that really wants you to rate their game high; spending hours upon hours of poring through research and tracking down leads to get to the bottom of a subject nobody seems to want to talk about, THAT would make me think they were breaking their backs.

31. MAGIK88

To get back on topic, I actually like the new DMC.. What I wish they would address is some of the frames for heavy attacks.. They last a bit too long.. It makes the game slower than what it is.. Other than that it’s pretty cool.. We need bloody palace to keep the pace going.. The level design is really good.. The game play is kinda slow but meh.. It gets quick when you use the angel evade.. I would like an actual DMC5 but this one is good.. I can dig it.. We really need that bloody palace tho.. Like, Really need it..

32. Stephany Nunneley

@30 I tell you what I will do while I wait for my check from Capcom so I can make a payment on my Mercedes: I will count all the Black Ops 2 posts, all the StarCraft 2 posts, all the God of Wa posts, ad nauseum for you. Sound good?

This isn’t the first accolades trailer we have posted nor will it be the last.

That was seriously uncalled for.

33. salarta

@32: Oo, which Mercedes are you getting!

While I’m sorry if my post upset you, it’s also what I honestly think. I don’t have some nefarious goal to “smear” you, I’m simply stating what all these articles about the supposed greatness of DmC, culminating in the posting of an accolades trailer as its own news article, leads me to think. It’s not much different from Brenna making negative assumptions about everyone opposed to DmC. And you’ll note I haven’t said anything that’s on par with fan negativity toward DmC being associated with the unhinged types that threaten to kill other people over fiction.

As for this not being the first accolades trailer you guys have ever posted, when I did a search on your site concerning trailers, I discovered you guys have posted accolades trailers before. And for a little bit, I thought I had been off-base. But then I realized a couple things. 1) They were for games that were also being hyped out the ass by the big name companies that made them, which doesn’t resolve the issue of “Would they do this sort of thing for all games, even the ones that aren’t being pumped out by major companies?” And 2) even with those games, articles about those games were typically spread out every couple days, or maybe two articles in two days then a break of a few days. Not an article almost every single day for a week.

Again, if you’re going to be treating all games you’re going to cover the way DmC is being treated regardless of what company is putting it out, then okay. I’ll take back my assertions and look forward to seeing an article or two released every day once Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Bayonetta 2, the next Mistwalker game, etc are released.

Lastly, the Mercedes joke was a good zing, but that’s not what people typically think is happening when they accuse a person or group of being paid off in video game journalism. People typically expect the company is paid off through exclusive interviews, early access to games or opportunities to fly or drive out to a company’s headquarters for playtest sessions, etc.

EDIT:

Jan 30: http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/30/dmc-devil-may-cry-trailer-notes-its-many-accolades/
    Jan 30: http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/30/dmc-is-a-reflection-of-our-times-ninja-theory-explains-the-games-satire/
    Jan 28: http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/28/uk-game-charts-dmc-knocked-to-4th-by-returning-champ-black-ops-2/
    Jan 24: http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/23/dmc-devil-may-cry-takes-over-japan-3ds-still-the-clear-hardware-winner/
    Jan 23: http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/23/dmc-devil-may-cry-the-vergil-chronicles-comic-issue-one-out-today/
    Jan 23: http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/23/dmc-devil-may-cry-dlc-costumes-priced-dated/

More gaps than I expected, but that’s for just this past week. Some look like perfectly reasonable news fare regardless of what I may think of them, others… questionable. Again, if you’re going to do this sort of thing for other games not made by big name companies like Capcom, then I apologize and take what I said back.

34. DSB

Make it rain Steph. Make it rain.

While I love accusing games journos of all kinds of things, I also think it’s painfully obvious that videogame publishers love money a lot more than they love videogames.

Really. How many games do you suppose VG247 sold posting this? Five copies? Ten?

Enough to pay for Stephs Mercedes? I doubt it.

35. Sini

It’s really hard hating on this game. Maybe if you’re really good, and I mean exceptionally good at this genre can you have a point, and you would still wish this game had more depth at high level instead of outright slamming it. I want to ride the internet hate bandwagon, but each time I play the game and spend an hour I realize it was 3 hours already and I’m loving it. Just can’t hate.

36. Stephany Nunneley

@34 Actually I am finished with it. If someone has nothing better to do than critique my job with long-winded posts full of accusation, without giving me the option of going to their workplace to return the favor, then let them wail. I have no patience for it.

37. DSB

@36 That’s probably wise, although I like the mental image of you going and throttling someone at their work.

I was just saying I doubt any publisher would waste money trying to promote an accolades trailer.

It’s all about that Metacritic, yo.

38. Ireland Michael

@33 Fuck off, and take your tinfoil hat with you.

39. salarta

@36: I’m going to say a few final things, and then drop this subject, as I will have said everything I needed to say. I do not expect you to respond to this message.

First of all, I am aware this is a very serious accusation when you’re talking about something that people make their living off of. These are people’s lives. I’ll be honest and say that the FULL gravity of it didn’t hit home until after the comment I’m replying to, but I still understood that it’s something you do not just say in vain. This is the first time I have ever made such an accusation.

Secondly and I think far more importantly, I am not saying you, personally, alone, are getting paid off in any way. I am saying that the site as a collective entity may be getting it. I don’t know the organization of how VG247 assigns its duties, who controls what, what policies you have in place for how and what games you will and will not cover. All I can say is what impressions I’m getting based on observations from an outsider’s perspective.

Third, I know for a fact that the accusation is not without risks. I’m posting in a comment section I have no control over, housed on servers that your company owns. I can be reasonably sure that your company has at least some level of IP address logging; this wouldn’t be special to your organization, it’s common practice. This means that if your company wanted to, they could do who knows what to me in retaliation.

Fourth and final, I don’t think my response is unreasonable (though I’m biased for being the person who said it). I didn’t say “you have to stop making DmC articles to prove me wrong,” which would be absolutely stupid. What I basically said was that if everything you’re doing concerning DmC is common practice for all games you cover, then I will sincerely apologize with all my heart for leveling that very serious accusation. As long as it’s a level playing field for all games, then I would be a moron and a tool to suggest otherwise.

And I’ll gladly admit to having been a moronic tool and having made a huge error in judgment in this article if that’s the case, because I’d rather find out I behaved like a moronic tool, apologize for it and know that at least this site cannot be questioned on its journalistic integrity, than to be right.

With that said, I’m going to shut up about the issue. I’ve stated what I felt I needed to state, I don’t think I need to repeat it, and this game isn’t worth the danger of anyone’s lives potentially being ruined.

40. absolutezero

Man you two have such raging erections for each other, its a wonderful sight to behold sometimes.

41. FrayJoker

@39 “This means that if your company wanted to, they could do who knows what to me in retaliation.”

Welp. Hope you like ninjas. Because they just got deployed. You paranoid fruitcake.

#41 1 year ago