Ubisoft issues South Park, THQ Montreal statement: new IP confirmed

Friday, 25th January 2013 10:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Ubisoft won big at the THQ auction this week, snapping up South Park: The Stick of Truth and THQ Montreal. The publisher has now issued a full statement on the matter, that confirms THQ Montreal’s development of an unannounced new IP, which could be Patrice Désilets new title ’1666′, or a game known as ‘Underdog.

The statement was sent to VG247 this morning, and reads, “In addition to the team at THQ Montreal, Ubisoft also acquired a new, yet-to-be announced IP in development at the studio. THQ Montreal will join Ubisoft’s development teams, already the second-largest in-house development staff in the world with 26 studios in 19 countries and more than 6,250 people dedicated to video game production.”

On South Park: The Stick of Truth, the statement simply adds, “South Park: The Stick of Truth is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the studio behind Fallout: New Vegas, and is scheduled for release in calendar 2013.”

1. SplatteredHouse

In the document published showing the auction results, there’s mention of Patrice Desilet associated with a “Project Clearwater”. Might be worth noting, for future ref. I could see nothing about 1666, by name, at least.

2. SameeR_Fisher

I am so worried about “1666″ game.

3. SplatteredHouse

I would guess its future could depend on realities around the current completion state of it, how much it would cost to deliver, do they have the staff to spare, that kind of thing. Ubi are bound to start looking over what’s come in and seeing what works with their plans, and where to spend resources.

4. SameeR_Fisher

& that’s exactly why I am worried, to me “1666″ comes from a very creative mind who gave us Assassin’s Creed, I want to see what Patrice Désilets was making, a new innovative game, a new IP, that’s what we need, I really want to see and know what THQ secret games were like.

I don’t want Ubisoft to shift all the new studio into Assassin’s Creed, AC is amazing, but I need something new as well.

5. Edo

To all of those who planned to play The Stick of Truth on PC …good luck with that.