Pikmin 3 screens show googly-eyed enemies

Wednesday, 23rd January 2013 21:38 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Pikmin 3 should not be scary but augh, look at the lips on these monsters.

Pikmin 3 is coming to Wii U and has not been dated beyond northern spring in Japan and the US and the second quarter in Europe.

Expect to see and hear a lot more of Pikmin 3 soon – it was part of Nintendo’s massive Wii U Direct presentation today.

Thanks, AllGamesBeta.

1. monkeygourmet

See, thing is… If Nintendo keep offering games looking like this on Wii U rather than hyper realistic stuff, the Wii U will easily be able to keep p with next gen from a graphics stand point.

And that’s obviously the direction they are heading.

P100, Mario U, Pikmin etc… All these games are very stylised and don’t need to look crazy realistic, the fact they are in HD and colourful just help them to look amazing IMO.

Obviously third party stuff will be more difficult but I’m more than happy with games looking like this.

Next gen, judging by the specs still won’t be incredible compared to high end PC so the Wii U can easily compete if it keeps putting out games like this.

#1 1 year ago
  2. polygem

i think you’re spot on. those games look slick and modern, yet familiar and they will age very well too.
    the wonderful 101 looked great too. it seems like bayonetta 2 will become the ‘tech off showing wow’ title. i wonder what the touchpad will do in that one.
    if leaked specs are true i think third party ports shouldn’t be a huge problem either in the next 2 years…then let’s see what nintendo will do then. for now, timing is good it seems.
    mine isn’t though. wiiu pad blinking. again. out of juice. need that nyko thing. tadaa…

#2 1 year ago
  3. Telepathic.Geometry

@Monkey and poly: I think that for a game to be regarded as beautiful, it absolutely must have some kind of stylised element. For example, if I were to write a quick list of the games which really gave my eyes an orgy of graphical overload:

Braid, Dead Space, Demon’s Souls, Dishonored, Dyad, Journey, Limbo, Okami HD, Rez HD, Legend of Zelda, Kirby’s Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaaxy, Viewtiful Joe, Geometry Wars, From Dust…

They all have their own distinct graphical style that makes them appeal to me. I think the gamess which are probably better looking on paper, like say Far Cry 3 on PC, are obviously technically very impressive, but they just don’t grab me from that artistic point of view, I can’t say they’re beautiful.

I always loved the Pikmin games too, they’re so full of character and life. This one seems to be very pretty as well, I just hope it looks good in motion. Screenshots don’t tell me much.

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

You can take photos of creatures from the vantage point of a Pikmin, like a mini nature program, using the Wii U pad as a camera…

You can then upload those photos to Miiverse to keep a log of your safari scrap book, How cool is that?!

These screenshots are from that mode, that’s why all the creatures look super close! :)

Also, good list; heartily agree!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Telepathic.Geometry

That sounds good, but the number one thing I wanna know is, what are the new mechanics. Last time they added quite a lot to the formula to make Pikmin 2 genuinely worth it. Having two groups you can switch between, having sumos and albinos with their various properties, having underground gauntlets, having no time pressure, having juices, it all made for a very fresh game.

I’m probably one of the biggest pikmin fans out there (to my shame, my GF still remembers my scream of “Piiikuuumiiin!” when it was teased a while back. But that doesn’t mean I’ll be satisfied with some “Now we have rock pikmin, they are strong against crystal enemies!” bullshit.

I want a game changer. Maybe rock pikmin can be camouflaged or can dig holes to trap monsters, or there’re a bunch of evil mushroom head pikmin out there or SOMETHING. I wana Ninty to do what they used to do so well and surprise me.

So far I haven’t seen anything like that…

#5 1 year ago
  6. absolutezero

Why would you tell me that mg. I mean now Im pretty much sure I’ll spend most of my time playing in that mode taking pictures instead of playing D:

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

It’s crazy, but I never really had a chance to try Pikmin, so this is all new to me! :)

Don’t you have multiple astronaut Charecters to play as and get through the levels in this one, I think Olimar has been kidnapped? Is that a new feature? Maybe that will mix things up for you greedy guts! ;)

Me too! doing my best Attenborough impression! ;)

#7 1 year ago
  8. monkeygourmet

Seems legit

#8 1 year ago
  9. Telepathic.Geometry

@monkey: Oh, you lucky fucking bastard! When they’re released on VC, buy that shit. Or isn’t there a Wii version too? Get that shit now and PLAY it you jammy git.

#9 1 year ago
  10. monkeygourmet

I think I’m going to get Pikmin 3 first, HD and Wii U pad support, get the hit of the whole fruit! jelly much?! :D

Jokes aside, I’m sure they’ll be loads of new features too, I just think their being pretty cagey about showing too much!

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

Also, off topic but still on the Ninty tip.

Do you remember that debug screen that leaked games on the launch of the console?

Yoshi Wii U was listed and now has been announced.

Other games were:

Soul Hackers?
    Resident Evil (maybe the 3DS HD remake?)
    Metal Gear?

Maybe these are all due for E3?!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Telepathic.Geometry

WTF are you still doing here?!? Get the fuck out of this thread adn go get Pikmin 1 and 2 NOW! THEN play 3. Jesus man, that’s like saying I’m gonna watch Return of the Jedi first and then A New Hope and Empire…

Seriously though dude, they are the most fantastic games, and I seem to recall that they’re both available on Wii for about a tenner each. Quality!

What you’re saying now makes me sad. Don’t be that guy man, play ‘em in order…

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

Lol, if I do, I’ll just be in the same position as you now.

Bitching about no new features! Don’t bring me down to your level… No, I’m going to play 3, then 1, then 2; just to infuriate you! ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Telepathic.Geometry

/hate

Seriously, my man brain has managed to hold out on Wii U because of the various niggles that bother me about the system, but Pikmin 3 might be my Achilles heel. I’m only human FFS… If that game manages to do what Pikmin 2 did, I will NEED a Wii U. Fuck’s sake, a god-damn Pikmin addiction. The shame…

#14 1 year ago
  15. monkeygourmet

Lol, it’s a brilliant console dude, and it’s coming on in leaps and bounds. Going o see lots of great quirky games on it throughout its life.

Would def take the plunge! :)

#15 1 year ago
  16. Telepathic.Geometry

I guess it’s inevitable that I will, but I have a feeling that it won’t be until late 2014, when Mario and Zelda and Metroid are on the horizon, and the system has been suitably updated… For this year and next, I’m probably just gonna go solo with my PS3…

#16 1 year ago
  17. Sini

holy fucking bloom, I’d gauge my eyes out after a day or two if I had to play those instead of just staring few seconds at screenshots.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Telepathic.Geometry

Brenna, take up your banhammer and slay the spambots, pleeeeeeeeease.

#18 1 year ago