Dead Island Riptide – Dev apologizes over CE torso

Tuesday, 15th January 2013 20:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Deep Silver UK has taken to Twitter to apologize over the lady’s torso included in the Dead Island Riptide: Zombie Bait Edition announced this morning.

Similar to classic torso sculptures, but with a bloody zombie twist, the 12-inch resin statue included with the collector’s edition is a bikini-clad with bits of blood spatter. However, it was the statue’s, um, ample assets, which drew the ire of the Internet, with many calling it out as being over sexualized.

“We deeply apologize for any offense caused by the Dead Island Riptide Zombie Bait Edition, the collector’s edition announced for Europe and Australia,” reads the tweet. “Like many gaming companies, Deep Silver has many offices in different countries, which is why sometimes different versions of Collector’s Editions come into being for North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia.

“For the limited run of the Zombie Bait Edition for Europe and Australia, a decision was made to include a gruesome statue of a zombie torso, which was cut up like many of our fans had done to the undead enemies in the original Dead Island.

“We sincerely regret this choice.”

The firm went on to state that it is collecting feedback “continuously from the Dead Island community,” and the international gaming community for “ongoing internal meetings with Deep Silver’s entire international team today.”

It finished by saying it is “deeply sorry,” and it is “committed to making sure this will never happen again.”

Dead Island Riptide will be released on April 23 in North America and on April 26 in Europe and the UK for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. YoungZer0

Seems not only the zombies are brain-dead.

*bada bum tssh*

2. Sylrissa

Well that certainly didn’t take long.

Seriously what were they thinking making something like that.

3. Stardog

Stage 2 (aka Operation Apology) complete.

PR sweep continues with Stage 3 (aka See What Hitman: Absolution Did At This Point).

4. monkeygourmet

They are now going include a severed zombie penis as well to appeal to everyone.

5. Ireland Michael

And yet they’re still going to sell it.

lolbullshitpanderingpressreleases

6. YoungZer0

@4: That would be hilarious.

7. Moonwalker1982

So i guess i’m the only one not seeing the big deal here?

8. manamana

Like I said: bunch of morons to let this happen. What were they thinking? Bad press is better than no press at all? Did they really thought a wounded female torso would be the next big thing?

9. Dark

““We deeply apologize for any offense caused”
    they don’t need to apologize .. just ignore the oversensitive idiots.

10. NeoSquall

I’m not “morally” offended by this bust, it’s just not a great countervalue nor a better deal than the Rigor Mortis US edition, which includes more “usable swag” than the bust itself.

I have no qualms showcasing my Catherine Love is Over Edition because it doesn’t defy the uncanny valley as much as a zombie bust.
    Even if they put a male zombie chest it would unsettle most unaware observers.

11. manamana

@9 … you mean like, the media and unknowing public mob? Great timing, really. If it only had a Zombie head, that would make it a Zombie. But I guess the people not knowing DI as a whole, this just looks like what it is. A dismembered female torso full of scars. No need to be oversensitive to see how wrong this is. But let me guess: you perordered?

12. Talkar

When i saw this article i couldn’t help but think of this:

Seems like you guys forgot something when choosing the image :P

13. absolutezero

“Warning includes content that make cause offense”

WAAAHHHHHH IM OFFENDED WAAAAHHHHH

14. LuLshuck

get a grip

15. mathare92

@12 Haha, was just about to say the same thing. The image is definitely relevant to the story, but it’s a bit weird seeing it on the site’s front page panel, given Pat’s policy on such things.

16. dex3108

This was simply an old marketing trick :D

17. MidlifeAxe

@7 I don’t see the big deal here either.

18. stevenhiggster

I’m not in any way offended by it, I just think it’s fuckin hideous and cannot see any reason why any sane person would want it!

19. monkeygourmet

To have sex with of course!

You silly goose :)

20. DreamCleaver

*sighs and facepalms*

@14 Couldn’t have put it better myself. I actually found it to be kinda catchy: Dead Island Riptide Zombie Bait Edition. She being the bait and all, or rather was in this case.

Not that I’d buy it, though.

21. DSB

Shouldn’t you guys be at CES whining at tech companies for using hot women in lowcut shirts to sell their products?

Oh right, I forgot. Employing attractive women to sell stuff is perfectly acceptable anywhere but gaming.

On the other hand, these guys went and did a halfnaked torso and didn’t expect any fallout? Right, that’s likely. Thanks for playing along everybody.

22. mathare92

@21 CES hasn’t been without controversy either. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20957848

Gaming’s come some way since the days of painted nude models being used at the VGA’s to represent nominees :P.

23. DSB

@22 Oh man, I just looked at the preceding “piece” as well. “Some people”. “Some women”. Brilliant journalism BBC, Fox News would be proud.

[The words are synonymous with journalistic trickery, because obviously you can attach "Some people.." to absolutely any claim you want - There's always "Some people.."]

Maybe booth babes are used because they’re effective. Maybe they’re effective because people like them.

I could understand if people were handing out stamps of acid to make you watch their flatscreen displays or play the next Gears of War, but really, our societies must be in sterling fucking condition for journalists to care about something like this :P

24. Kabby

I came for the picture.

25. Telepathic.Geometry

@4: That would be fine as long as it’s not a big fat sexy cock.

26. mandachaves

I live in the US ill trade with someone from the UK with our special edition with this one!!!! Let me know!!! Email me
    mandachaves@yahoo.com

27. roadkill

And the but hurt internetz strikes again. And they are right of course. Lol! Big tits are ugly!! Better include something flat chested. Yeah. Lol! You f**king losers!

28. silkvg247

As most of you know I am of the female gender. I do not find this booby statue offensive, it’s just zombie boobs. Yawn. People need to get a grip really.

The booth babes video (@22) pissed me off to whole new levels though, the guy at the start.. I’d love to introduce his face to a wall.

29. TheWulf

To be honest, I don’t think I’d want anything so ugly on my mantelpiece, let alone something that screams ‘you need help.’ I’m… not sure who their target demographic was with this, anyway. Asylum escapees, maybe? Either that, or there’s some truth in the press about how batshit crazy gamers can be.

I can’t lie, #9 does make me wonder. It’s as an engineering friend of mine said; imagine how stupid you think the average person is, now realise that most people are more stupid than that, and that’s why this will sell.

I hate being a realist but I think he’s right. And if he’s right, then we, as gamers, seriously need to get our shit in order.

And to say it again – I’m not offended. I just think that if any of us truly desire such a truly ugly, and utterly mental looking thing for our mantelpiece, then those who do are absolutely barmy and have no taste whatsoever.

Seriously… why would you? There are many, many more awesome things that you could fit on your mantelpiece, or on a shelf, or in any space. Whyyyy would you waste space on that? And I don’t buy trolling hipsters even, because even they would know better.

So not offended, then. Just dismayed.