Microsoft reveals Xbox IllumiRoom concept at CES

Wednesday, 9th January 2013 19:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has shown IllumiRoom, a proof-of-concept system at CES 2013, which uses Kinect and a projector to augment surrounding objects.

All objects around the television screen are projected through visualizations which can “change the appearance of the room, induce apparent motion, extend the field of view, and enable entirely new game experiences.”

A demo of the system is posted below, and was first outed via a patent application last fall.

More will be revealed at CHI 2013 in Paris on April 27.

Thanks, CVG.

1. manamana

Yeah, it’s teasing. But at least its innovative. It’s likely it will never see a consumers household though…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Belmont

I think I once read a shallow rumor about that being in X720.
    It sounds nice but I don’t find it to be practical.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Keivz

FOV!

#3 1 year ago
  4. RandomTiger

If I had a projector I would clear that wall and use that instead of the TV.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OlderGamer

Well it is inovative. Gotta give them that much.

#5 1 year ago
  6. polygem

not so sure if i’d want that…looks stressfull but it’s indeed innovative and looks kinda cool.
    my dog wouldn’t be happy if i’d turn the room into an egoshooter nightclub though.
    does anyone know what kartracing game that was in the trailer…?

#6 1 year ago
  7. theevilaires

Key phrase “a patent application”

SONY and Nintendo versions should follow soon.

Verdict: impressive but not for long.

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

I can imagine two things:

Me getting sick with motion sickness.

and:

My dog chasing lights and dots all over the room and up the walls.

#8 1 year ago
  9. CyberMarco

@6 SuperTux Kart

#9 1 year ago
  10. polygem

@8:

same here…

@9: thx…strange that they use that for the trailer…is it on xbl or something
    ;)

#10 1 year ago
  11. Tormenter

I was about to say “gimmicky piece of crap” however I do have to admit it looks kinda cool, but if it acts like a projector then why not just get rid of the TV?

Regardless of how cool it is/isn’t, I still wouldn’t put a camera that’s controlled by services run by a multi-national conglomerate in my house.

You do know that they have full access to the feed, don’t you?

#11 1 year ago
  12. Erthazus

In my opinion it is innovative but too much distraction.
    I’m not sure that this is a good idea in the end.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Gekidami

Considering how much projectors cost and the set-up you need, i’m pretty sure people who have one would rather use it to project their game onto a big white screen rather than have it project around a TV. It just seems pointless and gimmicky.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Phoenixblight

Its the same thing for what you do on the internet and if you have a camera hooked up at all day.

#14 1 year ago
  15. fearmonkey

Neat but looks like it would actually get in the way of enjoyment of the game.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Gojira77

Not what i expected when i first read the patent. I thought it was gonna be closer to Virtual Reality type stuff, but that actually looks kinda pointless. I guess its up to the game developers to use it in a way that actually is more impressive. Im sure they can do it.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Phoenixblight

Its proof of concept. THis is not the final stage and would have quite a way to go until release.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Tormenter

Bulldust #14. The web camera on my computer, if I had one, would be controlled and administrated by software and user setting on my PC… yes it can be hacked, but that’s a different matter entirely.

Microsoft have the keys to the controls of your XBOX and full 24 hour access to any and all camera feeds coming from it… You know nothing.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Phoenixblight

Yeah and every time you use that camera where do you think that feed goes? Over the the internet into multiple places before it hits its destination.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Tormenter

19. Are you just winding me up, am I not being clear enough or are you just not seeing what I’m saying?

Yes, a webcam feed TRAVELS around the net before it reaches it’s destination.. HOWEVER, that feed isn’t open to everyone and their mum, it has to be hacked, however easy a job some may find it.. and I can certainly make it more difficult at my end.

But MS don’t have to hack a god damned thing they all ready own the code that gives them full administration access to your xbox and camera feed.

I hope I’ve make my distinction clear.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Phoenixblight

ISP have access to it especially so in America under the Patriot Act. I can play this game all day. Seeing you get all pissy is quite hilarious.

#21 1 year ago
  22. The_Red

Rather cool looking tech demo. I could do wonders for horror titles if used properly. Specially liked the part with the world featuring a whole different filter outside TV screen.

#22 1 year ago
  23. FabioPal

Impressive.

@13 I don’t think that their plan (if any) is to have it using a projector. Maybe some kind of technology to project bits and pieces in the environment? maybe integrated in the Kinect sensor? Who knows… I should try and find the paper in which the technology is discussed…

#23 1 year ago
  24. Tormenter

My apologies, I didn’t know you were just trolling.

I’ll leave you to your bridge.

#24 1 year ago