DmC Devil May Cry: ‘Ninja Theory have been amazing’, say Capcom

Wednesday, 9th January 2013 08:27 GMT By Dave Cook

DmC: Devil May Cry launches worldwide next week, putting to bed years of controversy and speculation around the title. Capcom has told VG247 that through it all, developer Ninja Theory have been amazing to work with, and that they view the title as a true partnership founded on mutual respect.

As part of an unpublished VG247 interview from Eurogamer Expo ’12 that you can read in full on Friday, Capcom US producer Alex Jones discussed the process of collaborating with Ninja Theory on the title and explained that there is a great understanding and marrying of skill-sets between both companies.

“These guys have been amazing,” Jones explained. “Like most developers would had three or four random guys from Japan show up at some point and start lecturing them about how to do stuff, and it might not have gone as well.

“But the Japanese guys are super-open about knowing what Ninja Theory did well and leaving them alone to do that, and the Ninja Theory guys were really good about knowing that there is almost 30 years of fighting game experience at this table and thinking, ‘We should probably listen to them.’

I then asked Jones for his thoughts on Capcom’s drive to collaborate with Western developers and to create a family of worldwide partners, to which he replied, “There are very few good independent developers, and if you get the chance to lock one or two down and continue to work with them, as a publisher you have to do that.

“Because firstly you’ll never have enough internal capacity – given the expense involved in making games – to keep your portfolio level where it needs to be. Guys like Ninja Theory and Dontnod who – in the case of Ninja Theory have a proven track record of delivering quality products more or less on time, and at an expected level of quality – I mean yeah, you have to keep working with those guys.”

I then turned to Ninja Theory’s communications manager Dominic Matthews and asked him if there was now a great mutual respect between his studio and Capcom as they approach the end of the development

“There’s a lot of talent on both sides,” he said, “and I think like Alex said; Capcom has got such a rich heritage in fighting games – probably better than anyone else in the world – so it’s humbling for us to work with these people who know these things so well.

“But what we bring to the table is a different set of skills – story-telling, visuals, action gameplay that we’ve shown in out previous games – and there is huge mutual respect. The partnership between Capcom and Ninja Theory is very strong, and actually we’re quite similar in many ways because we have such high standards on both sides that we both know we’re pulling in the right direction.

“We’ve got amazing designers who have worked on this for three years,” he added, “but we’ve also had amazing partners at Capcom with Itsuno-san, who was director on previous Devil May Cry games and who held our hands at the start, and helped us get this exactly right.”

Stace Harman has written an in-depth, final preview of DmC before VG247′s impressions go live next week. Check it out here. Are you looking forward to the game? Let us know below.

1. naffgeek

Good to hear, now give them Resident Evil 7 please!!

2. Dave Cook

@1 Never thought of that. They’ll be doing DmC 2 next though.

Wonder who else could do a good Resi 7? Any thoughts Naff?

3. mobiugearskin

I hope this game does well. Capcom’s outsourcing hasn’t paid off elsewhere but DmC is different. It shows a real commitment from both sides.

As does the upcoming Lost Planet 3.

With regard to Resident Evil, if they want to continue down the action path, maybe People Can Fly? If they do a good job with Gears of War?

4. Clupula

I’m hoping that both this and Lost Planet 3 do very poorly, because I want Japanese companies to have Japanese developers work on their games.

I’m so tired of all this Westernization. Lost Planet 3 looks even worse than this does.

5. Dave Cook

@4 I can see LP3 doing poorly yeah.

DmC won’t though I feel, because it’s genuinely good, I promise :)

That aside, who could you see doing a Resi 7 next? I personally want them to kill the series dead mind you.

6. Clupula

Don’t get me wrong. I’m very fond of some Western developers, Naughty Dog, for example, but I think it’s kinda disgraceful to see things like Devil May Cry being given to Ninja Theory and Silent Hill being given to Double Helix, when it’s obvious they don’t understand what they’re doing.

The only Western collaboration I can think of that worked was Lords of Shadows, because that was, at least, a solid God of War rip-off, with enough Uncharted elements to work.

7. Clupula

I liked the Leon segments of RE6. I would prefer they continue in that manner and stay with Japanese developers. I would kill to see someone like Kojima take on Silent Hill, like he’s talked about doing.

And there’s still enough negativity about DmC that I can see it doing…not poorly, but definitely under a million. A few hundred thousand. Nothing to sneeze at, but disappointing for Capcom. I know so many people who break into unbridled rage at the mention of it, while the only two non-internet people I know who might give it a chance are not fans of the series in the first place.

8. Dave Cook

@7 Oh yeah dude seriously, Kojima on Silent Hill would be a perfect pairing. I’d love to see that.

I can see DmC being a slow burner. Especially when it launches for cheaper on PC.

And yeah dude, Lords of Shadow was a beast of a game, it’s up there with my favourite of this gen. That ending!

9. Clupula

As for Resident Evil, the only Western team I can think of that MIGHT be able to handle it properly are owned by EA (Visceral) and even then, everything I’m seeing from Dead Space 3 is worrying me. Plus, I do NOT want a reboot of the series. An RE7, that continues where RE6 left off would be fine. I do not want to see the continuity erased.

As for Japanese teams, to me, while ideally I’d want every non-JRPG to be made by Platinum, Grasshopper, and Kojima Pro, there hasn’t really been enough horror this gen for me to even recommend anyone.

10. Dragon246

Corpse party?
    Horror genre but a completely different take.

11. Clupula

@10 – I don’t play portable games, so even though I’ve heard of it, I have no experience with it. And isn’t it a visual novel, anyway?

12. Clupula

@8 – See, what I loved about the ending of Lords of Shadows was that it could have perfectly well fit into the established Castlevania continuity with a little bit of tweaking. I’m slightly disappointed they’re not going that route with 2. They could have used that ending as the launchpad for the 1999 Castlevania everyone has been wanting for years.

13. Dragon246

@11,
    Mostly a visual novel, yeah.
    Not everyone’s cup of tea.
    I liked Obscure games too, although they weren’t received that well.

14. Clupula

Also, back to Lords of Shadows briefly, I remember getting to Patrick Stewart’s final speech in the game and it sounds like he’s having so much fun doing that reading, I imagined that and that alone was the reason he said yes to the project. The way he says, “charade” is like he’s telling a secret joke that only he and his best friends get.

15. Dave Cook

@12 Yeah I hear that man. I liked it as I’m such a fan of the series, have been for many, many years, yet it turned almost 25 years of canon on its head and said ‘right, this is a proper reboot now. We’re in charge’. I just loved it.

16. mobiugearskin

Played LP3 at Eurogamer, it was great. LP2 was messy game. Had a half-arsed Monster Hunter vibe.

Castlevania: LoS is my fav game of this gen. I just love the setting, characters, music… Its a beatiful world they created. And it was a solid brawler too. The sequel has a lot to live up to. Im pumped for the 3DS installment.

With Resi, what about From Software or Ubisoft. Both demonstrate a grasp of how to do games based on surviving. Souls. Zombiu. That could work.

17. ShowUsYourLunch

I do find it funny that people hang shit on capcom for handing away franchises yet also feel its fine to give them shit for lost planet 2 (for being bad) or that they don’t make new stuff (Dragons Dogma) and just being all round crap with dlc and other issuses.

18. ShowUsYourLunch

If i could see FromSoft do anthing. an adaption of Berserk would be amazing. Love the vibe you get of DeSouls and DrkSouls

19. Clupula

The first half of Lost Planet 2 was probably the most fun I’ve ever had in a multiplayer game. Unfortunately, once you get past the train boss, it’s all downhill. Including and up until that boss battle, though, it was so much fun to play with other people. Not so much by yourself, though. I never even beat the first Lost Planet because the gameplay of that franchise is boring, when it’s single player.

20. SameeR_Fisher

Here is what I think, I believe DmC will do fairly good, like 2.5 or 3 Million Copies sold, Ninja Theory did a really good job, though it seems the story is still weak, better than Heavenly Swords, but not near Enslaved ((judging from trailers)), as for Lost Planet 3, it may be critically good, but I doubt it will sell that much, probably a million at best.

As for Resi7, I am yet to play RE6, but making a TRUE RE is really easy, remove Co-Op and just let the developers play RE:Remake, make that the model for your next game, and baaam you got a very strong true survival horror game, also no need for a western developers with Resi7, the Japanese need to stay away from trying to be western like, get back to how great they once were, and do their thing, no more western badass soldier who can kick zombies asses using karate or something, focus on making a Survival Horror title, not an Action or Dramatic Horror title.

CLOS.1 was the best hack n slash or action adventure game I ever played hands down, heck it is way better than Bayonetta IMO, also CLOS.2 is building on that alot and making the game bigger and better, CLOS.2 is the thing, my no.1 anticipated game in 2013, it sadden my heart that CLOS.2 will end the Lords of Shadow Sage, and we will probably get another reboot or something, well at least they will end it strongly.

21. Clupula

@20 – Capcom don’t even expect it to sell 2.5 million. Last I read, they expected it to sell 2 million. Selling as much as you said would make it a major hit in their eyes.

And Lost Planet 3 will be lucky if it sells a quarter of what you say.

22. Clupula

As for hack-n-slash titles, Bayonetta is the best one I’ve played with DMC3 a VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY close second place. then DMC1 and DMC4.

23. SameeR_Fisher

@21/22: I expect this no. based on 2 things, it is a well known series, so some people will get it based on its name, 2nd reason is the extensive coverage and praise it is getting from press, heck even Dave seems sold on it, 3 Millions is like the best it can make, but as you said 2 millions seems like a better estimation, it will be a hit in Capcom eyes, like DD was, as for LP3 well any weak game somehow gets close to the million mark :D.

I can understand where you are coming from with Bayonetta being your best hack n slash title, but to me Story always comes first, like ALWAYS, CLOS.1 story and length blew me away while Bayonetta story was so sub-par to me, but I agree on regards to DMC3, it is very high in my list of best hack n slash ((due to Vergil)), on my list is also Legacy of Kain in general, again due to the focus on story.

24. Clupula

Hmmm…if you’re basing it on story alone, then, yeah, I can definitely see DMC1 as better than Bayonetta. Bayonetta’s story was more of a parody of videogame tropes than an actual story. I loved the gameplay and the cutscenes never failed to make me laugh, but it wasn’t exactly a good story. Storywise, I actually prefer DMC3 to DMC1, since it has Virgil, Lady, and Arkham, who I think are all awesome characters. I always thought it was weird to try to seduce Dante with Trish, since she’s basically a demonic clone of his mom.

As for the Legacy of Kain games, they are the only games I’ve ever seen where I actually preferred to watch other people play them, because I hated the gameplay in all of them except the PS1 Blood Omen, but the story was always interesting. So, I discovered it was better to just watch my friends play.

25. stealth

Its going to flop, they need internal devs west sucks

26. Unlimax

See people .. This is why we don’t have nice things in gaming and the reason why is this community here and the modern gamers who keep praising and “accept” Capcom Policies WHATEVER THE RESULT IS !

“give them Resident Evil 7 please!!”

I have just lost my faith in humanity .. WHAT IS THAT !!?

The gaming industry is becoming worse and worse .

27. YoungZer0

@26: Ah, so you want another game like Resident Evil 6, got it.

28. absolutezero

FLIP FLOP KNEE JERK

29. Eddie Rodrigues

@27 you wanted RE6, all gamers did, only that some didn’t accept the choices Capcom did to please the gamers. Choices that we asked. DmC is Resident Evil 6 in a hack ‘n’ slash way.

30. Unlimax

@27 I’d prefer let the franchise rest for a moment rather than letting Capcom or others screwing it up .

@29 Not “All the gamers” Preferred this game based on your words, many of them criticized it .. But fans of the series on the whole have not yet attained the admiration .. Just Don’t tell me you’re influenced by Capcom words , Capcom wasn’t “CAPCOM” that you expected in the old days .. in short Capcom is Dead and all they care about now is to appeal the Call of duty public .. other than that they don’t give a damn about fans or what they want or even what they expect on their games , Their Greed blind their insight .

Oh well .. Its Difficult to convince others anyway .. But the choice is in your hand anyway and you can correct the situation that currently happening and And put an end to Capcom for the barbaric policy in destroying games .