Capcom financials lowered due to weak Resi 6 sales, Monster Hunter 4 delayed

Wednesday, 19th December 2012 10:16 GMT By Dave Cook

Capcom has slashed its sales projections for the financial year ending March 31st 2013. The move comes following weak sales of Resident Evil 6, as well as a release date slip for Monster Hunter 4 that will see it miss this financial year. The report suggests that Capcom had high hopes for the 3DS title, but the game’s delay has now lopped off a sizeable chunk of its forecast.

The company projected net sales of 105,000 million yen for the financial year, as it bet big on the success of Resident Evil 6 and Monster Hunter 4.

Capcom has issued a new projection of 93,500 million yen, which equates to a drop of 11%, and added in its report, “Sales of the major new title Resident Evil 6 were initially strong, but subsequently weakened. As a result, sales for this title are certain to fall short of the plan.”

The developer also added that Monster Hunter 4′s delay will give it time to, “Further raise the quality of the game.” No new date has been given, but it will now launch in Japan after March 2013, with Gematsu reporting that it will launch in Summer.

Resident Evil 6 polarised game critics when it launched in October – see our score round-up for the full spectrum of numbers therein. Regardless, the game broke Capcom shipping records, but it appears as if those shipped copies failed to translate into sales.

Are you a fan of Resident Evil 6, or do you dislike it? Let us know what you made of it below.

Thanks Polygon.

1. SameeR_Fisher

So how many unites did RE6 sell ?!

2. Erthazus

Fuck yeah! Resident Evil brand is crappy now. That shows how CAPCOM was wrong about Broshooting fest №6. Maybe next gen it will be a horror game.

3. absolutezero

eh, Resi 6 is no where near as bad as its been made out to be. With the recent patch fixing alot of the niggling problems with the camera and FoV you can set it up to more or less play like a far smoother RE4/5.

With another person, which I’m guessing alot of the people complaining never had access to, it turns from a middling action game into a great little co-op shooter.

Much like Borderlands. In fact I would say I’m having far more fun with RE6 with a partner than I ever had with Borderlands 2, even when co-oping.

At least Resi knows its script is shit.

4. Da Man

Addicts demand the same old Poor camera/tank controls/Umbrella stuff :(

5. ps3fanboy

looks like this flew straight above your head without noticing… WE ADDICTS DEMAND HORROR… yes that is what we want and we want the controls,camera etc from the new game too.. but WE DONT WANT A BROSHOOTING FEST.

6. The_Red

- Capcom’s Dream Reality: We need to make RE more action because it people don’t like survival horror games anymore.
    - Reality: The actionified RE6 doesn’t sell all that well.
    - Possible result: Capcom tries to mix Monster Hunter with RE.

Actually no. They demand a decent horror game, something that Dead Space 1 proved can be made and enjoyed. It didn’t have tank controls, it used modern camera and obviously had nothing to do with Umbrella or RE. That game felt closer to old school REs than any modern RE game.

Of course EA realized that it is Survival Horror and decided to add co-op, cover system and human enemies to make it more like RE6.

7. Mike W

I have to agree with some of the commenters here, I miss the survival horror aspect of the game. But I did enjoy RE 6 of what it was, but the whole time, I was thinking the game would’ve been great if they would’ve stuck to the survival horror theme of the game.

8. absolutezero

Survival Horror is not a theme, its a genre and its gameplay is tied into its appeal. The Resi titles are no longer Survival Horror and everything apart from Dead Space 1 is’nt either.

See there needs to be some sort of Survival aspect to just the normal horror tropes, be that ammo conservation, enemy avoidance or puzzle solving, Dead Space just had jump scares and blasting everything. Mainly because it was directly inspired by Resi 4, which was not Survival Horror either.

SH is niche as all hell so I guess I can’t blame the major huge publishers from shying away from it, what I don’t understand is why no other teams are steping in to fill the void. Current Handhelds, XBLA and Steam are the perfect places to create some cheaper actual horror titles. Cinema gets this thats why things like Paranormal Activity are pumped out every single year.

9. YoungZer0

If you completely ignore the fact that Resident Evil is not a Horror Game anymore, you have a rather decent action title here. Terrible dialogs, terrible story, terrible characters, but decent action.

Nothing new, mind you, but still better than RE5.

PS: When is Revelation going to come out on PSN? Heard a shitload of good things about the game.

10. Da Man

#5

Well, then addict, please elaborate on what makes the game horrible. Since if it wasn’t for the backwards camera angles, controls and recycled ‘story’ Re 1, 2, and 3 are all the same as 4 or Dead Space.

Silent Hill was just a right game released at the right time, it was really cool and well-made, which is why the first two originals sold a bit, but who wants to play the same psychotic Steven King induced bs again and again.

11. RPRezo

#10

And who said it was horrible? It’s a mediocre game that ditched the genre of the original series to play in totally different field. And there are 2 problems with that:
    1) Series fans wanted a horror, not a shooter.
    2) Shooter fans have a lot of much better games and they don’t need another “mostly ok” series.

12. Clupula

Man, I can’t wait to see what happens after Lost Planet 3 and DmC don’t mean projections, either.

I’m not a Capcom hater, but I really think they should focus on what they do best.

I will say I actually quite liked RE6, EXCEPT for the tedious Chris sections. I’m trying to platinum the game right now, and replaying the Leon and Jake sections was fun. Doing Chris’ right now on Professional, even if I only have one more chapter left to do, is work. And not fun work.

13. Clupula

As for survival horror, I’d say the first Dead Space still managed to be it, while the only true game in the genre this entire gen has been Siren: Blood Curse on the PSN.

14. OlderGamer

Thing is, the deffinitions of Survival Horror have changed scince PSx. The Resi games where built with bad controls, poor cam work, and a slow pace. I get the slow pace. But the other two need fixing. You have to look at what came after Resi. Left4Dead, for example, took the slow pace stuff and turned it on its head. No longer where gamers fighting the controler, the cam, or the lack of amo. And no longer was it a game where only a select few would want to play. My wife plays the L4D games and loves em.

If Capcom set out to recreate the experience of the first games, they will fail.

If you want to see how to do a Survival Horror game go study ZombiU. Because it the closest thing to a Resi game we are going to get, and for good reason. The rules have change, the genere has changed. All Capcom was trying to do was tap into that. Too bad some fans are stuck in the past. We live in a day where most gamers would rather play Gears of War then Resi Evil.

15. Da Man

#11

I was saying horrible in the sense of the horror genre..

What is a horror game? I presume an action one with a handicapped protagonist and scarce ammo..

16. Clupula

Left4Dead is NOT a survival horror game. It’s a FPS with zombies. Fun, but even less horror than RE6.

17. theevilaires

Bring back Onimusha! I miss Samanosuke and I think he shoukld be in the next PlayStation Battle Royale or at least a DLC character.

Kick ass intro plain and simple

18. OlderGamer

But that is what I mean Clupula, ask the average person what their deffenition of the genere is and most would likly include a game like L4D. My wife for example. Watched Walking Dead, loved it, and started looking for games like it. Had Zero intrest in Resi games because she played them on PSx and Dreamcast, found them frustrating and not much fun. I showed her L4D, now we own both games(even bought 4 packs on Steam to hand them out to friends/family) and we play often.

It isn’t about being Survival Horror for the sake of it. It is about making a fun game. The old RE games weren’t acsesable. And outside dedicated fans, I doubt they would sell. I think Capcom knows that and has been trying to broaden them up. But more people play Blops games then RE games. And games like Gears and L4D prolly eat the would be purchases of RE games too.

Alan Wake played similar to the classic RE formula. It was a good game, but didn’t sell all that well.

So really, what is a Survival Horror game, and is it important enough to stick with a tired and aging formula in spite of weak sales?

19. RPRezo

#15 And what’s an action game? I presume it’s a god-game with a handicapped protagonist that can’t kill everyone on sight with a touch of a button? Oh, and what’s up with that Mario fellah, why doesn’t he use a machine-gun?

What I’m trying to say is: making character weaker is not equal “handicapped protagonist and scarce ammo”. But yeah, horror and unstoppable killing machine in place of a protagonist a two mutually exclusive things.

20. Da Man

#19

Populous was called that..

Action game is where the point of the game is to kill your way through the level, these so called ‘horror’ games are about killing your way through but in a handicapped way.. I really don’t see that warrants to be called differently.

I get it you don’t want to play a co-op shooter, but last I checked all Iw as doing in Re3 was killing Nemesis with a crapload of ammo I synthesized, while in Dead Space I was killing aliens with a crapload of ammo I bought..

There really is a blurry line in between.

21. RPRezo

#20

No, they horrors are not “about killing your way through”. They are about surviving through. Remember my Mario example? Well it still works: you can say that most platformers are “about killing your way through but in a handicapped way”. But you wouldn’t say that (I hope). Because platformers are not actions despite having enemies (well some games are both, but that’s beside the point). And it’s also right for horrors.

22. xino

shame Capcom.

very annoying that the reviews impacted the sales of RE6.
    great game to me.

the industry do not know they are the ones killing the industry.

just because you don’t like a game because it isn’t what it used to be or changed, doesn’t mean you need to hate the game.

23. absolutezero

OG you need to look at the numbers that the Resident Evil series sold. Really, I’ll wait here while you nip off and have a look.

To date the series has shifted over 50 Million copies putting it into a pretty exclusive little club. Its by far the most important franchise to Capcom with the list of Capcom produced games selling over a million dominated by Resi.

Its not a small series, Mikami changed it up because the series was getting stale by continuing down the same path, he completely changed action gaming in doing so.

Survival horror is a pretty specific genre the edges are a little bit misty in that quite a few games can fit into the genre while mainly being something else, like Amnesia for example. Theres nothing Survival Horror about L4D, nothing at all. Half Life is closer to SH than L4D ever will be.

Its deader than a dodo though, no one actually wants to be scared or even think about being scared. Look at the reaction to Dark Souls asking for players to work a little bit.

“It’s too hard, my feet hurt, the music is too loud, I’m scared, I wish I was at home.”

24. freedoms_stain

Alan Wake played like RE? Really?

Alan Wake didn’t have much survival about it, or horror for that matter.

I’ve never been a huge RE fan, but I fail to recall infinite ammo crates laying around at handy intervals.

25. Da Man

#21

For games built around surviving most of them have way too many shooting and bonuses based on how well you perform in regards to killing.

Halo Odst was more about surviving than Res. And it was dark and scary too.

You got enhanced weapons and an infinite ammo for killing Nemesis.

The whole genre is just something gamers made up. Which is why it’s so called ‘dead’. It never really existed, there were just just a few action games which weren’t the same as the rest.

26. RPRezo

#26

And Metal Gear Solid has a bandana with infinite ammo as one of the bonuses for completion. So what? That’s not stopping MGS from being a stealth game. Having infinite ammo is a reward that gives you an ability to get revenge on monsters after all they’ve put you through. It totally breaks the game, but that’s the whole point – to have some mindless fun after playing it properly.

And horror-games are not dead in the slightest. But as with so many genres that are not actions or sandboxes, it’s not loved by AAA-making companies anymore. Still, some of the best ever horror games were made in recent years – like Amnesia and Corpse Party.

27. RPRezo

#23

>>Look at the reaction to Dark Souls asking for players to work a little bit.

It got so successful that Namco Bandai decided to turn it into one of it’s main big-budget franchises.

28. Da Man

#27

You totally took that out of the context.

Metal Gear Solid.. not only lets you play practically the whole game by blasting people away with an auto-aim, but regardless of it not really being an example of a stealth game (it always tried to be as accessible as possible, so why even bring that up here?..)…

…The whole game of Re3 Nemesis was built around your weapon performance.. against Nemesis. It wasn’t a funny bonus for beating the game by running away from him.. It was the opposite.

They were always about shooting your way through. I can go Rambo style as Master Chief, but I have to be careful and stealthy as an Odst. Does that mean Odst is another genre.

Even in Silent Hill there were so many ammo if you explored that city it’s not funny..

29. absolutezero

The phrase Survival Horror was coined by Capcom for Resident Evil itself. Each time you load up a saved game you would get a message along the lines of :

“You have now stepped into the world of survival horror…Good luck!”

During the last generation there were enough games with similar controls, atmosphere and goals that it could easily be a new genre itself. Its entirely possible to create one with great controls and still keep the prime tenents of the series in-tact. Blood Curse and the Wii Fatal Frames have no hampering controls or camera problems.

Make no mistake though it is dead now, a couple of games a generation may come forward with some new ideas alongside more traditional ones but aside from those theres nothing there apart from a community now. Perhaps Zwei or Outlast might instill some undead life to the scene.

30. RPRezo

#29

Yes, it’s possible to play MGS as an action. And Hitman. And other stealh-games or survival horrors. But that’s not how they are supposed to be played. That’s just an option added to make this games more accessible and give players more freedom.

This talk is getting a bit redundant and pointless, but I’ll try one last time: there is a difference between giving an additional option and making it a main gameplay focus. A LOT of games have action elements. That doesn’t make every game an action. But if you insist that horror-games doesn’t exist, than you should start saying this about stealth, platformers, sandboxes and other genres that intersect with actions from time to time. Otherwise it looks like you are a hater with double standards.

31. Da Man

#31

Stealth games do exist though: Thief, Splinter Cell, Manhunt. And they’re actually impossible to beat the shooty way. I was saying Mgs would be a poor example since we were talking about such a niche genre, see..

As for intersections, yes there exist as well multi-genre video games.

I’m saying there isn’t that much to differ these ‘horrors’ from mere action games. As opposed to e.g. stealth games.

32. RPRezo

#32

Amnesia. Corpse Party. Horror games with almost no action whatsoever.

RE was one of those intersections that you admitted do exist (like MGS was for stealth). Horror + action with the focus on the first one. And now it has no horror, while action is sub-par.

33. Da Man

#33

I haven’t played neither ‘Amnesia’ nor that ‘Corpse Party’.. but I did play what was apparently the genre pioneers (Alone in The Dark, through Res, Sh and the rest) which were supposed to define it, do you agree?

Mgs was multigenre (with the aim of accessibility), Re wasn’t, and it has always been actually niche and quirky.

Anyway though, I get you want a more explory, less shooty, more moody videogame and that’s ok. It’s a shame they don’t make them anymore I suppose..

34. RPRezo

#34

Guess what: Metal Gear created stealth-genre, yet as you said – it’s not a pure stealth. You know, this gives me an interesting thought: maybe that is how it’s supposed to be. Maybe new genres aren’t just born out of nowhere, they evolve from other things. And that’s why first horrors and stealth games had action in them, while pure games of that types came later.

And I’m happy that after all we came to some sort of agreement )

35. Da Man

#35

I thought Castle Wolfenstein started it but anyway.

Why, yes that’s how it often works, barely any videogame existed in a vacuum and came from nowhere.

No problem, I know it’s annoying to see your fav styles and types of games fade away, I for one would hope the proper platforming games come back sometime.