Mass Effect 3′s next story DLC has “high potential for tears”

Wednesday, 5th December 2012 11:41 GMT By Dave Cook

Mass Effect 3′s next story DLC is being developed as you read this. BioWare Edmonton is bringing in eight writers to pen the script, it features the return of Seth Green’s Joker, and has a music number that has “high potential for tears”. Sounds like a biggie. Get the details below.

Eurogamer reports that over on the BioWare forum, designer Jos Hendriks stated, “It’s all hands on deck for this one. Pretty much every ME3 DLC writer here in Edmonton is involved”, which Hendriks clarified meant about eight writers.

Series composer Sam Hulick is also set to return to score the new DLC after giving expansions Leviathan and Omega a miss. Last night, Hulick tweeted that he is currently working on the expansion’s soundtrack, “What I’m up to lately: working on an unannounced Mass Effect 3 DLC! More details on this coming later on.”

He added this little tease too, “Tossing in piano and muted strings for this one particular piece. High potential for tears.”

Joker voice actor Seth Green is back in the frame, as confirmed by a tweet to Green from BioWare’s voice director Caroline Livingstone that read, “Thank you for yet another fantastic session. And thank you for being such a kind person You are lovely!”

Eurogamer adds that Kaiden Alenko voice actor Raphael Sbarge was recording new lines at the end of October, suggesting that he – and presumably Ashley will also return for the DLC, which is rumoured to focus on galactic hub the Citadel.

What do you think the new DLC will focus on? What is your view of the Omega DLC? Let us know below.

1. YoungZer0

Eh, can’t touch the ending of Walking Dead.

#1 1 year ago
  2. KAP

@article

What? Shepard dies twice?!

Too true.

#2 1 year ago
  3. NinjaMidget

@1 + 2

Hit the nail on the head fellas!

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

It’s really funny, if you watch the ‘Let’s Plays’ of Walking Dead on Youtube, most of them end with the player crying. :)

I swear one of them sounded like a horse trying not to suffocate.

#4 1 year ago
  5. udoh

I really hope that this DLC actually has us going back, after the ending with the remaining crew of the Normandy, tying up any loose ends and rebuilding the Mass Effect universe before ME4 is released.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

Will it be the tears of Wii U players unable to play this DLC either?

Okay, that was mean, but I had to.

Seriously, though, I haven’t bought the last two DLC packs anyway, once ME1 was announced for PS3. I feel like if I’m going to go back to a game after a very definitive ending, I should start from the beginning of the trilogy. I feel like my Fem-Shep’s story is over and if I’m going to do any of these, I should do them with a new character.

#6 1 year ago
  7. zinc

Tears of rage from over-entitled fans, disappointed with the plot no doubt.

#7 1 year ago
  8. TheWulf

Heh. I’m still enjoying the Mass Effect Universe. I dug ME3 and the DLC, and the multiplayer is something I’m still playing. Their only mistake with ME3 was to focus on a smaller, more human crew. But they admitted that mistake (thankfully). Their writing strength was never in humans, it was in genuinely interesting alien races and the characters that arise from such.

Mordin and Legion being high on my list of favourite videogame characters. Legion is like the smart man’s Wall-E. And Mordin is… Mordin, as wonderful as he is. To be honest, if I’d want anything from the DLC, it’s new salarian and geth crew to take on missions with me.

Mass Effect though has been a fairly amazing experience. It really doesn’t deserve the vitriol it gets. Especially compared to most of the shit that people chug down on a regular basis (modern military shooters et al).

For me, watching the whole ME thing… it’s perverse to some degree. Bioware finally learn how to write endearing, memorable characters that you can and will actually care about; They learn how to write stories with proper emotional depth, and they get kicked in the teeth for it.

Bad Bioware, bad! Go back to writing cardboard cut-out fantasy cliches with no depth at all! That’s what we all liked you for.

There’s just a wrongness to it.

Mass Effect 2, and to a slightly lesser degree, Mass Effect 3, are the best works they’ve aver put out, in my opinion.

#8 1 year ago
  9. thor

Tutta la Trilogia è splendida. Il DLC Omega è molto bello (come anche Il Leviatano) Non credo che sia opportuno insistere troppo sulle lacrime nel prossimo DLC: se ne sono già sparse troppe nel gioco. Credo invece che sia molto più gradita dai fan un’avventura con Shepard che si ricongiunge alla sua squadra e, soprattutto, con la persona amata. A questo proposito credo che vada approfondita maggiormente la relazione sentimentale (che non significa necessariamente più sesso…). Non do altri suggerimenti perchè BioWare non ne ha certamente bisogno…

#9 1 year ago