XCOM Enemy Unknown: Gollop praises developer’s ‘great job’

Wednesday, 28th November 2012 12:45 GMT By Dave Cook

XCOM: Enemy Unknown developer Firaxis had a mammoth task on its hands when attempting to reboot Julian Gollop’s original game UFO: Enemy Unknown. The team can relax however, as the 2K-published game has received Gollop’s blessing.

Speaking with Eurogamer Gollop said, “I think Firaxis has done a great job,”The game is addictive and absorbing, not to mention quite challenging on the classic difficulty setting.

“Most of their decisions have been pretty sensible,” he added, “and they have made a very console-friendly game. Overall I think they have preserved the essence of the original X-Com.”

Gollop wasn’t all smiles and sunshine about the game however, as he expressed some issue with the game’s geographical mapping, and the fact you can only have one base, rather than several around the globe, “One small disappointment is that the positions of events and bases in the world view have no relevance at all.

“I often get the feeling that some things are just too deliberately contrived. The three simultaneous abduction sites [of which the player can only respond to one] being the worst offender.

“The original X-Com had significantly more pseudo-random elements. However, it is clear that they have been following Sid Meier’s dictum that games are essentially about making interesting decisions. They have strived to make every decision have some kind of trade-off.”

Gollop also finds the Thin Men enemy type too comical.

What do you make of Firaxis’ XCOM reboot? Did it preserve the essence of the original game well? Let us know below.

1. Erthazus

I didn’t liked it in the end. For me it was not XCOM at all. No atmosphere, enemies were too weak especially in the end of the game. What I liked in the previous games is that aliens had superb advantage over player Elite soldiers. Hated random “%” mechanic, base construction was a bit of a mess. AI is simple, story was not that good although XCOM was never about the story and of course in the previous games each soldier had inventory. I liked to search stuff in the inventory and choose “My weapon” of choice for the situation. Levels are small and most of the missions feels the same to me.

Liked visuals, 3D perspective was great, physics were awesome, music, Interface was intuitive but that’s it.

2. Hirmetrium

The AI is shackled in lower difficulties Erthazus. Anything other than Normal will be very, very lethal.

3. Gadzooks!

Firaxis should be proud of themselves, as XCOM is exactly what a remake of UFO should be. Respectful of source material, but not a straight-up copy.

It keeps the great atmosphere and tension of UFO and keeps the core strategic gameplay intact while removing the excess fat.

Brilliant game, and easily the equal of the original.

Now Firaxis, get some good DLC out. I’ll take as much as you can spare.

4. Mineral4r7s

And fix the god damn bug that won’t let me finish the game victorious.

Everytime I kill the last alien and finish the game it shows me a defeat message.

Playin on Classic – Ironman.

super annoying. Won’t do another playthrough until thats fixed.

5. Erthazus

@2, I played Classic mode. AI is simple as F.

6. viralshag

One of my dark horses for the year. Absolutely loved this game.

7. DSB

As a console game I reckon it’s probably pretty good. As a PC follow-up to UFO, I think it’s pretty lame.

It just started losing me from the beginning. It’s like they took the old one and made it look cute, and turned it into a boardgame of some sort. UFO wasn’t cute, and it wasn’t a boardgame.

UFO was a B-movie, it was silly because it had an air of taking itself seriously, but it was compelling for the same reason. XCOM decides not to take itself seriously from the beginning, and that ruins the joke.

I guess the keyword here is reimagining. It’s a new game with the XCOM name, but that ultimately also screws with my bias.

8. Erthazus

As a console game i think it is indeed great, but as a PC game it was a mess.