Day Z creator wants to “follow all the dead ends”

Wednesday, 28th November 2012 04:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Day Z fans don’t seem too keen on some of Day Z standalone’s new features, but creator Dean “Rocket” Hall is going to try every thing.

On the sim’s sub-Reddit, one fan asked Hall not to introduce two new related systems proposed for Day Z standalone: pooping, and getting sick. Usually from poop.

Hall responded by saying he’s going to do it even if it’s a bad idea.

“I hope I implement a lot of bad ideas. So that then, we know they are bad,” he said.

“Then we can remove them and move on. If we stick to safe ideas, this isn’t going to become a great game over the next few months – it will just be a cool idea and I’ll try and spend the next ten years going around conventions talking about how cool it was.

“I’d rather follow all the dead ends so I know what works and what doesn’t. I’m 31, I figure I’ve got a good 20 years of game making left in me. Let’s make the mistakes. If we’re not anxious about the new features that are being considered – then we’re not pushing the envelope hard enough.”

A bold approach and an admirable one, if not what the risk-averse design-by-committee end results we’re used to seeing. Day Z’s standalone is expected on PC but has not been dated.

Thanks, PC Gamer.

1. SameeR_Fisher

Respect for him.

#1 1 year ago
  2. naffgeek

You mean he isn’t listening to every internet noddy who shouts the loudest!!! What is he thinking…

Peoples sense of entitlement these days is incredible, I’ll buy it just for him sticking to his vision if nothing else.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Christopher Jack

Would like them to try to make it as realistic as possible but without being too harsh. For example, I know my character has to eat to survive, but I don’t want him dying after an hour for not eating. Maybe my character could start feeling woozy, slower & weaker but he should be able to survive at least 24 hours before it gets serious.

Now that I think about it- anybody have any idea how the in game clock works? Many of them have an hour for a full day rotation but I’d rather it remain the same as whatever the real time is on its server.

I’m really interested in this game but do not want to purchase Arma 2 just to use it.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Darkangus

Spelling: “but creator Dean “Rocket” Hall is going to try everything.”

#4 1 year ago
  5. jacobvandy

@3 The in-game clock is real-time, just the time zone is different based on where the server is located. I have never seen a server with a 1-hour day-night cycle… Most of the alterations I’ve seen have to do with switching the time zone on a restart, either to shorten the night or even make it so it stays daylight 24/7.

Anyhow, the hunger requirement is scaled based on a reasonable amount of playtime. It’s actually more like a few hours before you’d die of hunger AFAIK (I’ve honestly never been that desperate for beans), but if they made it 24 hours or even several days as would be more realistic, that wouldn’t make any damn sense. I doubt anyone plays that long in one sitting…

#5 1 year ago
  6. Christopher Jack

Wasn’t saying that Day Z did have a 1 hour clock, just many open world games do have time that range from 24 mins & 48 mins to 60 mins & 72 mins & beyond.

I personally think 4 hours would be the perfect time before your character starts feeling the effects from hunger meaning you have to eat at least once every serious game session but it won’t become a burden.

Anywhos, what can you actually do in Day Z? I’d actually like the ability to build camps, bunkers, fences etc from scratch & add onto existing buildings- so long as you have the requires building materials.

#6 1 year ago