Phantasy Star Online 2 dated for PS Vita, beta details revealed

Monday, 26th November 2012 08:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Phantasy Star Online 2 is heading to PS Vita next year, Sega has announced. The free-to-play MMO will also receive a closed beta phase early next year. Get the details below.

Gamespot reports that Phantasy Star Online will release February 28 in Japan, and that closed beta play will begin at some point in January.

The site also notes that the game will be free to download from PSN Japan, and will share servers with the PC build. Neither of these versions have been confirmed for a Western release, although the iOS and Android builds have been promised to hit these shores at some point in 2013.

Japan is also receiving a special edition of the game that comes with eight exclusive outfits, two-disc soundtrack set, 1,000 FUN points to spend on the game’s marketplace, a MAG device – whatever that is – and three exclusive weapons. It comes in at 5,229 yen.

Would you play this game if it hit PS Vita and PC in the West? Let us know below.

1. Fin

PSO v2 XBLA please.

2. bitsnark

@1 Basically this.

I always found it strange that an XBLA version wasn’t in the offing when the game was originally announced.

*Strokes cereal catcher*

3. Sylrissa

I would love to see this on PS3/PSV in the west, after the fun I’ve been having with Ragnarok Odyssey on the vita, would like to see more games like this.

4. CycloneFox

I’m waiting for this on Vita in the west. I will start to play PSO2 on PC an Vita, as soon as it comes to PS Vita in the west.

5. Dragon246

@Dave
    You got my hopes too high. Maybe you should have added japan in the heading?

6. OlderGamer

PSO Blue Burst on PC. Free to download, free to play. All of the JPN quests, plus new quests not seen in the game before.

PSOv2 will never happen on XBLA. But Blue Burst is V2 on crack. It also includes Ep 1, 2 and 4.

As for PSO2, I have a couple of friends that claim it is bad. I don’t know first hand. I do know that because people loved PSO v2 so much that pretty much any new Phantasy Star game is going to have a collection of folks that don’t like it. Samething with the Universe games, and I thought those were pretty good.

PSO2 is basicly PSU with strong ties and fan nods to PSO. It also has tweaked and modifiied gameplay, but has far more in common mechanicly with Universe, which could be a good thing, imo.

I wouldn’t buy a Vita for the game. I would play it on PC with a xb360 pad. I would also buy it for WiiU.

7. TheOutcastWolf

@1 You know what JP games happen when they reach the 360 don’t you?

If this is a Vita only and don’t get any 3DS version, then another sales boost will commence