Wii U won’t have a universal achievements system – report

Sunday, 11th November 2012 22:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Wii U won’t have an accomplishment system analogous to the PlayStation Network’s trophies or Xbox Live’s Achievements, according to one developer.

The news comes via Scribblenauts developer 5th Cell’s creative director and co-founder Jeremiah Slaczka.

“There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system-wide,” he wrote on NeoGAF.

Instead, it seems developers will be able to implement their own individual accomplishment systems should they choose.

“Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of ‘Global Starite Shards’ which is like a giant checklist of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren’t area specific,” Slaczka said, for example.

Although the Wii U’s launch is nearly upon us – November 18 in the US, and November 30 in Europe – Nintendo has been slow to detail its online connectivity, leaving many in hopes of an as-yet-unannounced accomplishments system. That hope appears to be fruitless.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. aseddon130

univeral?

sorry to be a grammar nazi, just thought i’d point it out.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Brenna Hillier

Cheers, fixed.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that another way of saying this is that Nintendo doesn’t have a trophy/achievement system at all. It’s an all or nothing thing. Of course, letting devs choose not to have trophy support if they don’t wanna do it is an idea that I can totally get behind, but you need to have a solid system in place.

Or just not do it at all.

It sounds like the latter to me, which as a self-confessed fan of the achievement system (which I know a lot of peeps don’t like) is a little disappointing.

Especially considering my first experience with “achievements” was Super MarioWorld, Zelda, and Metroid Prime. :/

#3 1 year ago
  4. Clupula

I’m a huge trophy whore and this is pretty fucking stupid.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OrbitMonkey

You get Nintendo points for buying games. These add up to real world rewards.

Oh you want a universal ticker checker that gives you nothing?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Telepathic.Geometry

It doesn’t give you nothing. My trophy folder tells me how many games I’ve played, how much of the game I’ve completed, and gives me a list of challenges within the game. It’s not nothing…

My Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls platinum trophies were hard earned, and I kinda like having them there. I also enjoy checking my friends’ trophies on games we both have to see what they’ve been up to…

I think if it were nothing, then Sony wouldn’t have desperately scrambled to copy Microsoft. Nintendo being Nintendo, they always wanna do things their way, and to be honest, I think that that’s great 9/10, but that 1/10 leads to really disappointing decisions by Ninty…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dragon246

Well said.

“Oh you want a universal ticker checker that gives you nothing?”
    No. It gives you 2% off! 2%!

#7 1 year ago
  8. Digital Bamboo

I won’t miss it, but I can see how some might.

Why not give people the choice to turn it on or off, and avoid pissing anyone off? When in doubt, offer the option.

Greater user customization = everybody’s happy.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dragon246

No, just no. Its too wise :P

#9 1 year ago
  10. gomersoul

Epic fail, yet another reason not to buy the fisher price my first next gen console

#10 1 year ago
  11. freedoms_stain

Less boosters in multiplayer. Nintendo Win.

#11 1 year ago
  12. GwynbleiddiuM

@10 Well, I never played anything for achievements or trophies, I play to enjoy them, and I collect as much stuff as I can find and unfold as many secrets as I come across, but I’m not really after the score. I do tend to go after challenging bits, but because they are challenging not because I need to to show the world how good my score is. So, I don’t blame them for not wanting that in their system, besides if there’s a challenge the game would reward you for your efforts whether giving you an achievement for it or a considerable item, or title (the way WoW does for instance). So if you’re basing your decision entirely on achievement system on buying your next platform of entertainment, that sounds more like an epic fail to me than anything else.

#12 1 year ago
  13. mistermogul

I love me some Nintendo but they do make some baffling decisions. This being one of them…

Disappointed…

#13 1 year ago
  14. Fin

Nintendo really have no idea WTF they’re doing.

#14 1 year ago
  15. polygem

i am very happy about the lack of achievements. i do not need them at all. ingame unlocks, leaderboards, highscores, maybe unlocks like a gametheme as a free download….that´s the good stuff. i don´t mind achievements but i like that they are not on a nintendo console. achievements have a competitive charakter, in the end it is about showing off. nintendo always was about coop gameplay not focused on competition that much. highscores etc., that´s enough. you don´t need another system. it makes sense that they don´t have an achievment system. so imho they know pretty damn well what they are doing….staying true to themselves, not blindly following every damn trend.

#15 1 year ago
  16. DrDamn

It’s not simply bragging rights. See @6. Done well it helps define and track different ways to play, extending the lifespan of games.

I have no problem with Nintendo saying it’s not mandatory for all games. Not having a defined global system in place though is a mistake. It removes some of the more useful aspects of this sort of system.

#16 1 year ago
  17. polygem

well…i don´t see it that way. there is miiverse which will compensate an achievement system. it´s a different approach really, much more social, less competitive, less showing off, more communication, at least that´s what i understand it will be. we will soon find out.
    i certainly do not need achievements to try a different style to play a game. if i love a game i will play the hell out of it. i don´t need to grind achievements. a game is fun, or it´s not. achievements do not make a game more fun so they are ok but certainly in no way needed to create a better experience.

#17 1 year ago
  18. monkeygourmet

I was hoping achievements would unlock cool Nintendo exclusive trophies and clothing for your Mii.

I wanted there to be a Nintendo style museum in Wii Universe that you could display all your achievements in, now that would have been cool.

It could have had little gaming history lessons etc…

The could have even turned it into a Meta game, with more Mii’s coming to view your museum if you unlocked the more difficult Trophies / achievements.

They could have even sold me DLC to change the style of the building etc… Come on Nintendo, it’s money in the bank! :)

Also, clothing unlocks like in 3DS would be good (I want my Kirby hat!)

This way, People would feel attached to the challenges they overcame in the game.

I personally would love to walk around a Nintendo museum with a huge Bowser skeleton in the middle instead of a T Rex! ;)

#18 1 year ago
  19. Telepathic.Geometry

@12: I certainly agree with you that if your sole reason for not buying a Wii U is them not having trophy support, that is kinda lame, but these small things have a way of piling up.

If I go on a date, and I’m 2 minutes late, she’ll probably let me off the hook. If I mis-pronounce her name, she might let that go. If I burp, she may see the funny side of it, and who knows, maybe she’ll even be able to laugh it off if I spill her drink, or forget to bring my wallet.

But you do all of those things and you’ll have a hard time making a good impression, even if you’re a stud.

In my case, Nintendo is a gaming platform I want to love, and that old spark still burns brightly, but by not having a substantially more powerful system (not ridiculously so now), and not having online locked down, and the lack of GC BC (especially because they’re going to try to sell me everything again in the future on their online store), no BRD playback AND no proper trophy system… It all adds up and does chip damage ya know.

#19 1 year ago
  20. OrbitMonkey

How did we enjoy our games before *achievements*?

Its odd that something that means nothing is considered *something* O_o

#20 1 year ago
  21. DrDamn

“staying true to themselves, not blindly following every damn trend.”

Like Stamps in Wii Sports Resort – they definitely weren’t like achievements, oh no.

“How did we enjoy our games before *achievements*?”

How did we enjoy our games before multiplayer, before motion controls, before analog sticks?

#21 1 year ago
  22. ManuOtaku

An star or mushroom system would be neat, not that i mind achivements/thropys for thata matter , but it would be nice having them though, at least nintendo have the option open for the developers in order to do it their way, i wonder how many developers will transfer this from the PS3/360, tough

#22 1 year ago
  23. Ireland Michael

@20. Pretty much.

Achievements are a fun diversion, but they’re a completely optional meta-game and completely unnessecary. I’ll play the game I want to play it, thanks.

When I see some people chasing after achievements the way they do, it almost feels like the game is the last thing they care about. It ends up being a means to an end, instead of the purpose of playing… to enjoy the experience.

#23 1 year ago
  24. absolutezero

OM thats more or less exactly what I was going to say.

I mean all those hours I spent playing PS2 titles to death now just feel meaningless because I don’t have them all stacked up in a neat little OCD list.

If the only reason you do some of the trophies/achievements is because they have a trophy/cheeve attached then its a bad game. I choose to play the shit out of Dark Souls because I loved it not because I wanted other people to see that I played it lots.

I would like console variants alot more if they added in Steam style diagnostics so I can take a look at the percentage of people getting certain cheeves. That breakdown can be facinating as you see that 1/10 people never caused any chaos in Just Cause 2, you can cause chaos by shooting anything.

#24 1 year ago
  25. polygem

“I personally would love to walk around a Nintendo museum with a huge Bowser skeleton in the middle instead of a T Rex!”

holy cow! that´s genius. they totaly MUST do that!

#25 1 year ago
  26. OlderGamer

No biggie, I won’t miss achivies/trophies one bit.

#26 1 year ago