GTA 5 will sell 25 Million units in first year, analyst claims

Wednesday, 7th November 2012 10:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Grand Theft Auto 5′s wheels are in motion following the start of pre-orders and the impending second trailer on November 14th. One analyst believes that the game could shift around 25 million copies in its first year on sale. Check out the rationale below.

Speaking with NowGamer, EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich has speculated that GTA 5 could hit such a huge sales target, and leaned towards an April release, “The HD market is softening as we enter into the tail end of this generation, but fortunately this softening has had little impact on our precious AAA titles.”

“I have little concerns about when it is released,” Divnich added, “GTA IV already proved to the market that even an April release, which has historically been avoided by the industry, can support a 20M+ title. Whether April, June, or even Winter, I’d expect GTA V to sell in upwards of 25M copies in its first 12 months.”

What do you think? Could GTA 5 hit this magic number realistically, or is this wishful number flaunting? Let us know below.

1. IrrationalGamer

Sounds like it could happen, but what is the amount of PS3 and Xbox 360 owners, not counting twice the people who own both?

#1 1 year ago
  2. datass

I just don’t see it happening…maybe 20 million in 2-3 years, but 25 mil in 12 months is impossible

#2 1 year ago
  3. gummelvic

#2: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/250163/call-of-duty-a-sales-history/

#3 1 year ago
  4. ZeGerman1942

Its definitely possible. Still moer than 70% will never finish the game – but the dev/publisher obviously does not care about that.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Moonwalker1982

God knows i will play the living shit out of this game.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DrDamn

It’s not all that an unrealistic prediction. Bigger market. Only one GTA game released previously this generation. Certainly a chance.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Digital Bamboo

Seems crazy, but I guess it’s possible considering GTAIV sold 10M in the first 3.5 months, & there are now nearly 140M PS3s & 360s out there.

25M? I would’ve thought no more than half that myself, but shit, he may be right.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dragon246

I would be surprised if it sells less than 20 million in first year.

#8 1 year ago
  9. AmiralPatate

I can see that happenning. As a matter of fact, I believe GTA V is the only title that can beat COD sales-wise.

#9 1 year ago
  10. mistermogul

Well my name is down for copy number 1!

#10 1 year ago