Sleeping Dogs dev: ‘split from Activision removed expectations of the game’

Friday, 26th October 2012 16:14 GMT By Dave Cook

Sleeping Dogs developer United Front Games has discussed with VG247 the feeling around the studio when the game – then called True Crime: Hong Kong – was dropped by Activision.

As part of a VG247 interview – which you can read here – producer Dan Sochan shed light on the studio’s departure from the Activision label.

“I think a lot of us were quite excited, although obviously it was a difficult time” he said, “It gave us the ability to work on a blank page, and instead of people having certain expectations – either positive or negative – of the past titles, we could then focus on, ‘here is what we’re all about’.”

“We originated as a new IP, and we were then later branded True Crime: Hong Kong. So to then be, again, a new IP it allowed us to define our own identity. That’s how we started, so yeah, it’s been great.”

On the subject of working on a new IP in an industry dominated by established brands, Sochan added, “You know, I’ve heard this same thing as well, but is it a bad time at the end of a console cycle? I think people say the same thing about releasing in the summer. You generally don’t want to do that.”

“I think our release window in August was fantastic, and it really allowed us to have some breathing room before some of the big sequel titles came out. We had additional mind-share from people wrapping up from the summer and getting back into games.”

“I think it all really depends on the support you have from your publisher, and if they really believe in your game and want to make it a success, as well as a game you’ve worked on and you’re proud of – then I think you can get it out at the end of a life-cycle and it can still be a fantastic game.”

1. Dragon246

How did the game perform at retail? I hope its good because it will encourage others to introduce new IPs and products in the market.

2. ManuOtaku

#1 Dragon i dont have specific numbers, but recalling previous posts, i think for a new IP it did decent numbers, pretty much to gurantee a second iteration, well is not the second in reality but you got my point, i am quite happy with this , and that it happened i man selling ok numbers , just to shown activision that is not money all the time.

3. powerbuoy

Best open world game I’ve played since Red Dead. Really hope it sold enough for a sequel.

4. Ireland Michael

I remember seeing this behind closed doors (as True Crime: Hong Kong) at E3 in 2010, and trying to convince everyone that it was a genuinely great looking and well designed game. Nobody wanted to believe it was the case. Even those of us watching the demonstration were skeptical (mainly because it was Activision and everything else they showed that day was garbage) but they guys were genuinely passionate about it and really showed off what it could do.

Funny how things work out. Hahaha.

The cancelling of this title, especially after what I had seen, was pretty much when I decided I couldn’t be arsed with Activision’s bullshit anymore. The company has absolutely no interest in quality whatsoever.

I was estatic when I heard that Square Enix has revived this. Seriously hoping this gets a sequel. It deserves it.

5. xxJPRACERxx

Great game! Hope for a sequel too.

6. bpcgos

My copy just arrive lately, and dare I tell you this is the most engaging open world game, especially in story progression and mechanic. It’s not over wide like GTA, but also not as small as the other, the game size itself fit perfectly with the narrative and gameplay mechanic. And its fun like hell!!