Nintendo u-turns on New Super Mario Bros. U 1080p claims

Friday, 12th October 2012 11:08 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo recently stated on the official New Super Mario Bros. U site that the game would run in full 1080p. However, the developer has now retracted the claim, stating that the game will simply run in ‘high definition’.

Eurogamer spotted the retraction. The game’s descriptor has been amended by Nintendo to remove the 1080p statement.

It has changed from:

“Experience Mario like never before… in full 1080p HD, only on the Wii U console!”

To:

“Experience Mario like never before… in high definition, only on the Wii U console!”

Thoughts people?

1. sonny

Ouch…

2. Colin Gallacher

U might have the title with the most U’s today. :D

3. The_Red

Unless they were planning a surprise 1080p reveal, the game is natively 720p and if a simple and mostly 2D game like this is native 720p, there is no way more visually demanding titles will run in native 1080p.

4. Fin

LOL

5. monkeygourmet

Lame! :)

If its true, there’s no way that games like Zombie U could run in Full HD.

Bit strange unless there’s a Suprise reveal or something. I remember Nintendo clearly stating that the Wii U would support 1080p.

A game like this should run at 1080p easily and maybe even 60fps.

I guess what they meant was upscaling which is a completly different kettle of poisson…

6. FabioPal

If they cannot manage a “2D” Mario game in 1080p…

gosh!

7. G1GAHURTZ

Well, it’s no surprise really, since the console has around the same power as PS360.

Also, because of the need to show two displays concurrently, I wouldn’t expect it to ever be capable of doing much more than we’ve already seen over the last 7 years…

…if anything at all.

8. friendlydave

Honestly I think this is nothing.

It was probably someone higher up who did not like how the statement sounds and decided to change it.

9. OlderGamer

Dumb thing for them to say in the first place. However two things come to mind:

One; not everyone has 1080P TVs. Stating 1080p could confuse some people. What if my TV only does 720p? Will I even be able to play the game? I am not asking that question of course, but Nintendo may feel some might. And prefer to just say HD. Its easier.

Secondly; Who cares? I don’t care. The overwhelming % of users/buyers/fans won’t care either. Wii wasn’t even in HD and it sold just fine. This won’t impact jack or shit.

If we want to put something under a microscope and look for reasons to hate on it, we can. Look at recharging controlers. The PS3 comes with a usb to usbmini that conects your pad to ps3 and charges your pad. Nice! Yet the XB360 forces you to buy a “play and charge kit”. Lame! Does it matter? No, not really. Are people avoiding the XB360 because of it? Nope. If your a fan your a fan. If your looking for a reasons to hate your going to find plenty (on any system you want to look for them).

In my opinion, Nintendo games are well built, fun to play, and have great art work with bright vibrant colors, display that in 720p, 1080i, 1080p and I am a happy fan. Infact I am one of those wierdos that enjoyed there games in 480P on Wii. For the record I still fire up old systems including SNES, Saturn, Turbo Duo, etc, and none of those are in 1080p either. Oh the horror!

10. CyberMarco

@OlderGamer
    You’re* :p

11. _LarZen_

If Rayman Origins can run native in 1080p then New Super Mario Bros should have no problem running at native 1080p. The Wii U has slightly better hardware so if it is “only” running natively in 720p it must be programming related and not the lack of hardware.

12. Da Man

Looking more and more like an overpriced Xbox360 tbh..

Oh yeah, with Mario.

13. zinc

What’s the difference between 720 & 1080p on your average 32-40 inch plasma?

Oh, fuck all?

Still bad news for the tech fetishists I guess :-/

14. G1GAHURTZ

This is one of those interesting features, where if it works, it’s a revolution in gaming that defines the console, but if it doesn’t, then it’s a silly feature that nobody needs.

Kinda like PS3 rumble. The “last gen” experience until they actually figured out how to make it work.

15. zinc

^ lol, not quite. I’d say it’s a feature the average human eye has difficulty appreciating, especially if you have a average sized plasma, LCD.

Still, it’s rather daft of Ninty to start waving their tech specs around. The “Look at our hardware!” Bullshit isn’t quite as important as features & games imo.

16. G1GAHURTZ

Maybe the average eye… I personally can tell the difference. But I suppose I wouldn’t be much of a graphic artist if I couldn’t…

It can affect gameplay, though. For example, in some games, you can fit more on the screen, in terms of the UI, which can make a difference.

Anyway, I wasn’t singling you out. I was mostly talking about how if the WiiU could do 1080p, you would see more and more threads like how this one started: http://www.vg247.com/forum/topic.php?id=6610&page=1#post-37826

But as soon as we discover that it’s not so capable after all, 1080p suddenly becomes a waste of time, anyway…

17. DrDamn

@zinc
    On a 40″ or more I think 720p -> 1080p is very noticeable. Particularly with games.

18. Cobra951

@9, I’m agreeing with you? Wow . . . Never thought it would happen.

Seriously, spot on.

19. Gadzooks!

I can’t tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless I sit about 1 foot from the screen, (46″ LCD) and even then…It’s not enough difference for me to give a rats ass about.

20. monkeygourmet

It’s still not confirmed either way.

I would have thought even the PS3 and 360 could run a game like NSMB in 1080p, so if the Wii U couldn’t it would be a bit of a suprise.

It would be nice, but it’s not exactly the end of the world if things aren’t running in full 1080p. Even locked 720p would be nice considering how many games are sub 720p on PS3 and 360 (COD, HALO etc…)

21. xxJPRACERxx

I can easily notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. I can easily notice the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps. I know some people don’t.. Good for them!

22. _LarZen_

People that cant see the difference on 720p and 1080p need to go to the optician. But then again it’s probably the same people that dont see or know the difference on native or a upscaled image.

Or even worse…the people that thought DVD was good enough and did not understand why we needed HD. Usaly it’s poor people with litle to no knowledge or money.