Borderlands 2 Badass Rank reset bug found, fix incoming

Tuesday, 25th September 2012 09:21 GMT By Dave Cook

Borderlands 2′s Badass Rank system has bugged out for a number of players who claim that the bug has wiped their progress. Developer Gearbox Software is currently working on a fix, but you can get more details and video footage of the bug in action below.

The bug affects PC, PS3 & Xbox 360 versions of the game, wiping all of your Badass Rank progress, but does not reset any completed challenges, meaning you are effectively locked out from earning them again. Here’s a clip of it in action, courtesy of RyogaWanderer:

GameInformer reports that Gearbox has issued a statement on the matter that reads, “Our engineers are looking into this, and the information you’ve provided has proven to be a great resource while we investigate. At the moment, it seems to be a fairly rare issue and we’ll keep you updated on when we resolve it.”

Have you been affected by this? If so, let us know.

1. SlayerGT

Oh crap

2. illuminatusv

So I delay my play through until the bug is fixed and play Dark Souls instead to be prepared for the new DLC there. Anor Londo I’m coming ….

3. ps3fanboy

there is a bug already??.. in 15-20 years when these patches ain’t here anymore, just throw the game in the trash. it is unplayable… thank god i can still play my 60 year old game of super mario.

you wonder why older game are popular because you can still play them, you wonder why we have icons as mario, because the mario games have been passed on for generations and still can be played…

you release a game to day and try to build a brand like the old mario guy, you have no chance because the game is unplayable after a its first generation… thats why you dont get new game icons in the future.. buggy half arsed released games, go no where… this is a fact.

i didnt buy into the borderlands hype and now i learn it have serious game breaking bugs… its now a 100% no buy thats for sure.

4. SlayerGT

Ok so I signed up for Shift but no bugs. I have yet to distribute any badass points thou.

Anyone here been affected?

5. drewbles82

This is another great reason to wait for complete editions. Most the bugs are all sorted out by then.

6. Kabby

There are quite a few bugs in Mario, and other ‘classic’ video games, ps3fanboy.

7. iamafish3

I think ps3fanboy needs to layoff the sauce lmao this doesn’t make borderlands 2 unplayable. You shouldn’t post on things you don’t know about. By all means, go play pong :)

8. OhBenBenBen

This has also happened to me, all of my badass points and skins are gone, i was 2 skins from all 88 and 4 heads from all 17…… GearBox needs to fix it, it may be a rare issue, but what are they gonna say when it starts happening to 20% of the people who bought tha game, have fun dealing with a million unhappy customers.

9. Punch420

I do sorta agree with ps3fanboy. At the same time games are so much more complicated now there will be errors.

Things should be done though to prevent them like spend a year having it tested. I am sick of counting down the days to some of my favorite games like:
    Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
    Skyrim
    Oblivian
    now Borderlands 2
    even ALL COD’s (multi billion dollar company Activition has no care for the consumer and once the game is sold it isn’t even patched for the most part)
    To just be frustrated and dissapointed..

I know that most of thoughs are from bethesda and I mostly blame them. Everyone just wants that game on the selves so they can make money.Then use all of us to test and comeplain untill they fix or not fix a year later.

I play games for trophys and play a little bit more then the average bear and have platiunumed all of these games within a month or so of their release date. All have major problems and really turn me off of gaming because I am done playing with them before the first patch comes out (yes I know i’m a junk).

Oh I was level 44 with a gunzerker and also 3 other char at 31. I had over 8000 badass rank and its all gone (also skins ext.)…

SO EVERY GAME OUT THERE SHOULD BE TESTED FOR AT LEAST A YEAR BEFORE IT CAN BE SOLD!! If we keep buying though this will never happin…

Sorry for the long post just am starting to enjoy 2D side scrollers more then huge sandbox rpg’s which seems od…

10. Ireland Michael

@3 In 15 – 20 years the storage size of these games will be what SNES and MegaDrive games are now, a blip on the storage capacity of the available media – we’ll all be carrying around terabyte sized SD cards and flash drives. The active modding and emulation communities will have already backed up these patches or created their own.

Bugs and glitches existed in plenty of older consoles games.

Straight of the top of my head, I remember numerous bugs from FFVI that broke the gameplay to the point of making it trivial, and in FFVII there was one glitch that made it impossible to continue if you moved into the wrong area of a piece of scenery in one location. Both games also had bugs that meant that certain stats didn’t even do anything.

Daggerfall (the second Elder Scrolls game) was so buggy that it was *never* completable by normal means, even after a half dozen patches. With the internet not being a common feature in every home at that point, patching it wasn’t even an option for most people.

It’s very easy to sugar-coat the past, but you’re deluding yourself if you think it was better. At least now we have the ability to fix these problems on the fly.

11. Punch420

I hear ya, I prob shouldn’t post after being frustrated with a game lol…

BTW it makes the acheivment/trophy “challenge accepted” not possible to get if I am correct. It wont give it to me anyway…

12. LadyCorvain

Yes it happened to my husband. We were exchanging some items and somewhere in the middle of it. All of his BA Rank have been reset, including all of his heads and skins for all of his characters are all now gone as well but everything was the same like his Challenges, Levels, and Items. Hopefully this will get fixed. He has lost about over 100k worth of BA Rank :/

13. Giskard

@12 100k? That’s… implausible. I have over 100h played and only 12k badass ranks.

14. GamesterDaD08

Just lost my rank a couple hours ago, just shy over 12k. I can honestly say this is the first time ive ever wanted to break a game disc in half, but why add a $65 mistake to the issue, right? FIX THIS ISSUE, Gearbox!…please.

#14 1 year ago