Sonic creator ‘enjoying freedom’ from hedgehog franchise

Friday, 21st September 2012 03:33 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sonic creator Yuji Naka has said he’s quite pleased he doesn’t have to make Sonic games any more, and expressed a wish that other creatives – like Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto – could liberate themselves, too.

“One of the reasons I left Sega was, if I stayed there, I would have had to just make Sonic games. Right now I don’t have to make Sonic anymore, so I’m enjoying that freedom a lot,” Naka told Polygon.

Naka said he greatly enjoys the freedom to produce small mobile games without answering to a publisher, and said that many Japanese luminaries could stand to be liberated from their employers the same way he cut ties with sega.

“Like with Nintendo: Miyamoto has been making Mario games. He’s under that too. He has to keep on making Mario games,” he said.

“[Nintendo's Eiji] Aonuma has to keep making Zelda games. [Konami's Hideo] Kojima has to make Metal Gear games.

“I wish he could take that off of everyone’s shoulders so they could create other stuff, like new stuff. Because that’s healthier for the industry. Movie directors create all sorts of movies, and the movie industry is healthy. I wish the game industry was like that as well.”

Naka’s last known project was 3DS and Wii title Rodea and the Sky Soldier, but since the Wii U’s announce it has gone into limbo and may not release.

Prope is responsible for Flick Pig, which is one of the primary reasons I’m considering buying an iPad.

1. Clupula

A vision of all four of them holding hands, while skipping through a flower patch, celebrating their new-found freedom from their companies, is playing in my head.

2. hitnrun

I think Mario and Zelda would benefit from their separation from their “creators” (if you can even consider the antediluvian progenitors to be the same creation as the current iterations that carry the brutally flogged names) as much the creators would benefit themselves.

MGS, for better or for worse, is Kojima now. It would be nice if he had a stronger editorial voice back when he started making talking arms and naked man levels, but what’s done is done. Success-drunk hot shot creative minds being given too free a reign certainly isn’t unique or particular to Japan.

3. e13

Mario games are completely different from one another say the main character. 1 plays nothing like 2 which plays nothing like 3 so on and so on..

Every Sonic game plays the same

4. The_Red

Yeah, I mean just look how different New Super Mario Bros, New Super Mario Bros 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii U are from each other…

5. Da Man

Every Sonic played the same up until the Dreamcast, then it started playing like shit.

6. dreamcastnews

@5 they played like shit after the Dreamcast, Sonic games only worked on Sega hardware… There were too many other games that perhaps worked better on other systems by the time Sonic went multi-platform.

I think Naka maybe regrets that he doesn’t work for Sega anymore? None of Prope’s games have exactly done well in my opinion, Sonic Team were at their peak when Naka wasn’t producing Sonic games, Billy Hatcher, Samba de Amigo, Phantasy Star, Nights, ChuChu Rocket….

It’s not as if he was JUST making Sonic games.

7. Da Man

#6, nope SA marked the beginning of shitty Sonic. It just wasn’t as bad as the subsequent ones.