Nintendo doesn’t feel Mario IP is overexposed, is “highly cognizant” of every release

Friday, 14th September 2012 15:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The Mario franchise is an IP Nintendo is “highly cognizant” of, according to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, and as long as each release offers fans something new, there’s no reason to fear an overly saturated Mario market.

Speaking with GI International, Fils-Aime said the Nintendo hold the Mario “IP very dearly.”

“Our developers, starting with Mr. Miyamoto and going through the entire EAD development organization, they understand the power of our franchises, and they understand that the only reason these franchises have the power that they do is that they have to make sure that each subsequent edition is unique, different and offers something new,” he said.

“They know that if they don’t do that, we’ll kill the golden goose that lays the golden egg. So it’s something they are highly cognizant of, and even the executives on the business side, we hold that IP very dearly to make sure that every edition in the series is foundationally sound.”

Fils-Aime’s comments echo those made by Nintendo president Satoru Iwata during gamescom when he said: “We only create a New Super Mario Bros. title one per platform.

“I think we’ll probably go ahead and continue at that pace. That being said, that’s probably Miyamoto’s choice, so I can’t give you a 100% guarantee that that’s the pace we’ll continue at.”

New Super Marios Bros. U will launch alongside Wii U in November.

1. deathm00n

Are you ready for another fanboys war in comments?

#INSERT NINTENDO HATER COMMENT HERE#

2. ManuOtaku

#1 I blame Reggie, he should known better ;)

3. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that that statement has been true for decades, but just lately, with all of these New Super Mario Bros, I don’t feel the difference between those titles. Granted, I haven’t played the DS ones, but I think we may have essentially the same game, with a feeble attempt to disguise that fact by making coins the focus, a mechanic which I think doesn’t demonstrate the gulf of difference we had between:

Mario 1(the classic platformer),
    Mario 2(ahem, picking vegetables, ahem),
    Mario 3(a shitload of interesting power-ups and variously themed worlds),
    SuperMarioWorld(Yoshi),
    Mario 64(3D),
    Sunshine(Fludd),
    Mario Galaxy/Mario Galaxy 2 (both were just ridiculously varied and imaginative from level to level, never mind between the two individual games),
    New Super Mario Bros(multiplayer Mario, finally.

Every one of those was completely different. But now, it looks like we’re gonna have 3 or 4 New Super Mario Bros. games with fuck all difference to speak of.

I speak from love of the series up until now, not hate, when I say that they are milking that franchise now, possibly out of economic pressure to meet launch and panic.

4. ManuOtaku

#3 i agree with you, but i think the redeeming part is that those 4 games under the super mario bros name saga, are done i four different consoles, of course it will look like a little bit too much, the thing is that they did come pretty close to each other because the 3DS, WiiU and Wii titles did came one after each other, and the two nintendo new consoles came pretty close one after the other, and one as a launch tittle (wiiu) and the other one year after the release (3ds), i think is bad timing more than anything else

5. Fin

In seriousness, NSMB2 was the point at which is actually did start to push the franchise a bit too much.

Ignoring all the Mario sports titles, obviously.

6. OlderGamer

I pretty much agree TG.

But I think somehow the focus has been shifted away from if the games are high quality, fun to play experiences and more toward them having to show significant difference between each other. Alot like another highly exposed franchise CoD, there are differences in each release, but mostly only ones that dedicated fans would see. Looking at CoD from a distance they all blend together. Samething is true for a lot of high profile franchises. And that includes games like Sonic, Gears, CoD, and of course Mario.

I don’t want Nintendo to change their games just for the sake of it. If it isn’t broke, don’t try and fix it. But I think, maybe instead of doing another 2D sidescroler, they should do something in a 3D setting. But if you look at the different games that feature mario the gameplay varries a lot. From Galaxy to NSMB to Paper Mario.

I don’t care the franchise, if you crank out enough releases for long enough, it is going to be hard to keep coming up with fresh things to do while still staying true to the franchise.

To some extent it is like writing, writers keep telling the same stories. Look at the movie remakes. Games are just an entertainment, if a formula works, we will see a lot of it.

7. monkeygourmet

I think they needed some way of gauranteeing a Mario game every year.

Kind of like COD as OG was saying.

I think we’ll see, Mario Galaxy type game, NSMB title, Mario Galaxy type game, NSMB title etc…

People seem to want yearly updates now, and having NSMB titles in between act as a nice buffer for them while they get to the meatier titles…

I can see why people don’t like it though.

8. Telepathic.Geometry

Well, I think that what made all the Mario games I listed out so good was the genuine surprise you get that first time you get inside the mechanical boot, or wear the hammer bros. suit, or tearing across the surface of the water at breakneck speed, or becoming a bee, or finding different color yoshis, or whatever. When I first played NSMB, I got a real kick out of tilting the lights with my wiimote, and screaming at my GF to go left in Japanese while she was panicing.

You say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it, but it’s that surprise that you get from a new Mario game that’s so special. To be honest, I’m a little worried about Pikmin 3 too. When Pikmin 2 came out, I quickly realised that the new pikmin types, the new juice mechanics, the tweaked yellow pikmin, the underground levels, the time limit change and the addition of a second player (even in single-player) completely changed the game, although it didn’t look it.

But what does 3 have? Rock pikmin? I’m getting more and more sceptical of Nintendo. I do hope I’m wrong mind you, because I still regard Nintendo as the best dev in the world, bar none. But it seems like they’re going too safe these days.

Give me a Mario game where Mario controls time, or can run at Sonic speeds, or eats enemies and mutates or, fuck, I don’t know. Anything is okay. The Galaxy planetoid mechanic was sweet, but on top of that they just showered an embarrassment of imagination on those games.

Let them do it again. 2D, 3D, I don’t care. Actually, I should say that I was also shocked and disappointed by Super Paper Mario on the Wii, which I was sure would play right into Ninty’s creative strengths, but was left with an incredibly shallow linear game. :/

Sorry for the steam of consciousness style wall of text. This looks like the first generation of Ninty hardware that I will not absolutely buy out the gate without any need for thought. It’s kinda sad really…

9. OlderGamer

No worries man, wall of text ftw!

I understand what your saying. I feel the same way towards a lot of games today. So worn out and tired most everything. That is why I am so excited about WiiU. The Controler along should spice things up.

Time will tell tho.

The sad part for me, is the number of gamer friends that have either hung up their controlers this gen or moved into mobile gaming space.

10. Telepathic.Geometry

Well, not to worry, for all my talk, it’s likely that I’ll buckle like a deck-chair around launch time and pick one up. On that day, I’ll give you my gamer-tags, but for now, you can find me on PSN under the name “BarrySama” if you’re up for a bit of gaming. I’ll have my paws on Borderlands 2 soon too, so feel free to call on my services if you need anyone ninja killed by Zero! ^-^