Borderlands 2 video – Randy Pitchford discusses the game, co-op

Saturday, 1st September 2012 19:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Borderlands 2 co-op footage has appeared, and in it, two members of Gearbox’s development team play the game as Randy Pitchford discusses the shooter with Gamespot AU. You can watch it below, and since it lasts just over an hour, you may wish to toss the roast in the oven first, or something. Borderlands 2 is out next month on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Talkar

Just to add to the article, at the end (about 0:50-0:55) the Mechromancer is also shown off. It has close to none textures and barely any skill in the skill tree but you can get the idea of what it is all about. ;)

2. roadkill

And at 1:27 we can see that what we have here is console footage.. … ….. .. OK. Back. I just threw up a little. Thank you Steph for the heads-up. I had enough of this. Enjoy. Later.

3. Phoenixblight

September 18th can’t come soon enough!

4. Talkar

Actually it is PC footage, you can see that by the PhysX action, and Pitchford says they are using GeForce cards for this demo. They are just using controllers to play, but sure go ahead judge without knowing.

5. KAP

yea your right.

6. monkeygourmet

What. Dick, lol!

Randy tells you it’s being run on PCs with 360 pads if you had bothered to listen / watch… How does it feel to look like an asshole PC elitist?

On a side note, this game looks incredible, have a day booked off especially, to make some serious damage in the campaign! :)

7. M. K.

Glad that it comes out on friday :D Otherwise I’d also take a few days off of work

8. DSB

I’m pretty excited about it. Definitely gonna coop that sucker. Hopefully you can jack it with a VPN three days early :P

Somehow I just never get tired of listening to Pitchford. Nice break from all the PR-trained robots out there.

9. ejams

@8 – I agree, Pitchford cares so much about his work and especially his team and how they’re all gamers first. You just know the game is going to be that much better because of it.

What a great vid, an hour of gameplay to get us familiar with things. I still have to switch out my pre-order to Gamestop for that one DLC, but for this game it’s definitely gonna be worth the trouble.

10. monkeygourmet

Quick question:

Suppose I pre-order and get the mech romancer class but my girlfriend doesn’t, can we still play co-op on 360 using this class against a ‘vanilla’ version?

Would like to know as certain games are awful when it comes to cross DLC play, Fable 3 being a good example. In tht game you couldn’t play coop unless you had the same DLC… That was bullshit…

11. Phoenixblight

I am not sure what you are asking you will be able to play the new class in the vanilla version in co op. You will have access to the class but the people that don’t have the DLC will not have access to it.

12. monkeygourmet

That’s cool, it’s just some games I’ve encountered on Xbox live don’t let you play coop unless you all have the same DLC as the other player, which is sheer money grabbing bullshite…

13. Phoenixblight

“you play coop unless you all have the same DLC as the other player ”

That will be the case for the other DLC if the first game is anything to go by. You can always play Local Co Op and play it together though.

14. monkeygourmet

I know what your saying, it’s just a huge difference if it’s a new charecter only available through preorder, over a new mission or chapter that’s paid for.

For example, if I preorder then play as the mech romancer, will I be able to play coop with people who didn’t preorder and get this charecter?

It’s a stupid question, but I’ve come up against games that don’t offer this feature on xbla…

15. Phoenixblight

Yes you will be able to play with others and the class is not only available to those that preorder. People that don’t preorder can buy the DLC.

16. monkeygourmet

Cool!

The more you know! ;)

17. Talkar

Just to echo what everyone else is pretty much saying… I’m really excited for this game! I preordered the ultimate loot chest edition or whatever it is called (these edition titles are getting more and more ridiculous xD ).

18. roadkill

@4 and 6 Well it was not the graphics that made me threw up. It was the controls.

@6 “How does it feel to look like an asshole PC elitist?” It feels great actually! Thanks for asking. I know you guys hate us for being smart, having powerful systems and incredible control schemes but really you don’t have to be so upset. Do you think I like being surrounded by console retards!?

19. Talkar

I figured as much, but if you truly are a PC gamer you wouldn’t shy away from controllers, joysticks and other accessories to gaming. Remember in the “old” pc gaming days? Most games actually required you to use a plugged in device other than K&M. If you want to limit your experience that is fine, but i prefer playing on the PC with the best graphics any of the available platform can provide, and use the controls that is best for any specific game or situation in a game. That way i get the best possible experience. Having the freedom to choose how you want to play a game is what it truly means to be a PC gamer, if you limit yourself to K&M you are just as bad as those arguing if the 360 or ps3 pad is better.

20. noherczeg

So this is how it looks like when even the devs can’t play their own game. Now I know why do difficulty levels drop year after year.

21. DSB

@19 Spot on, and that’s saying nothing for the fact that 50% of all PC gamers are having to play their games scaled down because they don’t have those monster rigs :P

And how elite can you be when you can’t tell the difference between console and PC footage? Certainly not the first time that’s happened, but it just goes to show that platform probably isn’t all that important when it all comes down to it.