WoW and Battle.net service pulled from Iran due to US sanctions – Blizzard

Saturday, 25th August 2012 15:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blizzard issued a response regarding the inability to access Battle.net or World of Warcraft servers from Iran. According to the post, the issue stems from applied US sanctions instead of government bans on specific content – although the latter is still true as well.

“United States trade restrictions and economic sanction laws prohibit Blizzard from doing business with residents of certain nations, including Iran,” reads the post. “Several of you have seen and cited the text in the Terms of Use which relates to these government-imposed sanctions.

“This week, Blizzard tightened up its procedures to ensure compliance with these laws, and players connecting from the affected nations are restricted from access to Blizzard games and services.

“This also prevents us from providing any refunds, credits, transfers, or other service options to accounts in these countries.”

WoW isn’t technically available in Iran, but those who play the game in the country use virtual private networks in order to access the game. While this is against Blizzard’s terms of service, as has been noted before, it happens in other places as well and not just for playing World of Warcraft.

Other titles which seem to have been taken offline in Iran include Guild Wars, RuneScape, Second Life, Dofus, Evony and Entropia Universe.

Blizzard apologized to those affected by the service being cutoff, and said it “will happily lift these restrictions as soon as US law allows.”

Thanks for the head up, and sorry: GwynbleiddiuM.

1. unacomn

I like how that in no way antagonize anyone.

2. M3HDI

i dont know what to say!! i played game for hours and hours…..spent money on it and now it’s all nothing!! U.S always says we dont punish people and these embargo’s r for gov’s now this affected me as a citizen that has nothing to do with some stupid politician decission’s
    dont even know to blame which side :(

3. jonahfalcon

Once again, you can thank the real-money auction house for screwing everything up for people.

4. Behzad

What sin of Iranian people?
    Why does America allow this done to us?
    I just want to play WoW & Diablo and another games..I just want to play Video Games…..

5. DSB

@3 Actually you had to pay for both of those games before the real money auction house.

6. Ghasem

من واقعا متاسفم برای کشور شما و کشور خودم ،که برای مقاصد سیاسی از فکر کردن به اینکه در کشور ما هم گیمرهایی هستند که دیابلو و.. بازی میکنند.سر باز میزنند!…
    Im Really Sorry for my and your country.these are don’t even think that the gamers in iran playing these game with a unutterable happiness …
    Im Sorry Again…

7. Maximum Payne

Considering tomorrow is Sunday , we can expect 50+ comments.

8. Ghasem

@#7
    of course you do…

9. OlderGamer

You know if our govs could get the hell out of the way, I bet a lot of people between several nations would be able to build a bridge and friendships would start. But the govs better becareful, that might actualy lead to real peace someday.

10. DSB

Yeah, anarchy has always been synonymous with peace.

11. arash2012

I decided to buy Blizzard’s game after reading agreements between that company and customers. They had recognized Iranian to buy and play their games directly in section about parental control in Iran and other countries. In that section clearly mentioned that they put parental control for Iran, … .
    Even later they ASKED ME TO SEND DIGITAL COPY OF MY passport to remove parental control . I sent and they removed it.
    All these happened recently and clearly shows they knew that they are selling games to Iranian players.

1- There is no law from US governor about not presenting game services to other countries. Even US governor wants to do this, they must respect to previous agreements and not include them. In this case, as much as I know, there is not such law in US.
    2- Blizzard claims: “United States trade restrictions and economic sanction laws prohibit Blizzard from doing business with residents of certain nations, including Iran,”
    This as LIE. All trade restrictions are about military and Nuclear materials and equipments, Highly advanced technologies and similars (or financial activities related to mentioned topics). MAYBE BLIZZARD MANAGERS THINK THEIR GAMES ARE HIGHLY ADVANCED AND MAY USE FOR MAKING NUCLEAR BOMBS.
    3- If they have laws not to trade with Iranian players, why they sold in first place and later recognized our Iranian passport? They must didn’t accept our membership in first log in ( IP shows country source)or when we sent copy of our digital passports.. But hey have waited several months till everyone buy their game and now don’t want to pay for servicing.

In fact, I think Blizzard is abusing from opportunity to economize it’s charges.
    It depends on us how to react to this. I think if anyone, specially people who live in western countries can accuse that company to the court:
    1- Fraudulence, with this reason that they knowingly sold their product.
    2- enkindle to phyletic and religious hatred.

3- Blabbing and revealing true nature of this company in media such as TVs, face book, Twitter, and …

Anything else that you may find.

Footnote: Every one must know that we haven’t played those games via virtual network or vpn and .. . We legally had played until now via direct Internet connection, from Iran to Battle,net. This a lie that we had played via vpn and … to absolve themselves from responsibility of knowingly selling games.

12. Uncontested

Lol at the so called Iranian spammers. Go away haji.

13. OlderGamer

DSB, my friend you need to see more then just the literal meaning of things. I was never saying the govs should abolish. Just that most the worlds troubles, imo, can be boiled down to govs, money, and religion. And from my observation Govs often exert control over the other two.

In many cases I bet the people of nations could find common otherwise.

14. DSB

It’s not that I disagree, but I think you can just bundle it up into “people”.

People want wealth. People want government. People want religion.

I don’t think religion really serves a purpose, beyond suspending peoples common sense in favor of a more convenient and less intelligent alternative, to actually figuring out life on your own, and money is purely a tool of government, but government itself has obvious advantages.

300-1000 years ago, governments were extremely weak, which made them largely incapable of stopping things like invasions. Half of Asia along with half of Europe could be sacked by whoever had the biggest army, from Greece to Persia to Rome to Mongolia to France, because no one was organized enough to stop them, and they only stopped once they extended themselves to the point of halting their own offensive.

Fast forward to 1980, and neither the Soviet Union, the US or China would be able to conquer very much on their own. I think that’s progress.

Personally I’ll take an imperfect government full of people I don’t much like, over having my house burnt, my wife raped, and my head put on a stick.

I don’t see why people can’t bond together in spite of politics though. I dislike a lot of things about how the US is run, but I still think the people are great. Ultimately it’s down to you and me how we choose to behave.

Kinda like the argument I had with Manu, it’s easy enough to overlook a bunch of factors if you want to make something look uniquely negative, but it won’t be the whole story.

15. TheWulf

So we fix human nature, then we get rid of governments, money, and religion. It’ll likely happen at some point, and it needs to, as most governments cause as many issues as they solve.

I feel bad for the people who bought annual passes and the likes, though, as this has to bite for them. You know, flag waving is fine and dandy if you like doing that, but it still means that a lot of people are left out. All because of bureaucracy. The everyday person isn’t responsible for the actions of their government or any other, and they even have very little control over who is actually in power. And yet most people get stiffed by governments, and I’d say things are going from worse to worse.

In the UK for example you have a bunch of suit-encrusted rich boys trying to dismantle the NHS, and that’s not going to do any good for anyone. That just shows how much worse things are getting, because the NHS was always a symbol of the sanity of the UK gov’t. And we can wave bye bye to that with the way things are going.

So I’m with OlderGamer in thinking that governments need to be smaller and decentralised, and then eventually eradicated. Maybe we do need to fix human nature, first, but if it means that we can get rid of governments, then that’s worth tinkering with.

16. Da Man

People like Dsb want a little reality of their own. A hypocritical, soulless, ugly.. but one of their own, where they can enjoy visions produced by modern mind which bases it’s existence on Google and Newton laws.

People who have no country and no God are no longer called like that these days, instead they’re progressive, modern individuals who ‘re always eager to discover new.

Very surprising.

Anyway, my shitty country doesn’t allow me to drive a Porshe around simultaneously playing Postal while I’m on coke. Silly censors, I’m leaving. Freedom or nothing.

17. DSB

That makes a lot of sense.

18. Da Man

Dsb, I ‘m more than sure it doesn’t make any sense to a person who finds your posts logical..

Not with your 3 classes of education and a Steven King book..

19. DSB

Couldn’t be clearer, actually :P

20. Da Man

Glad we understand each other.

21. DSB

Indeed. And a good day to you, ser!

22. Da Man

xoxo

(as usual)

Best regards.

23. absolutezero

BINGO

Steven King book won.

24. arsalan irani

I’m sorry for the America., We Iranians do not have a problem with any country, and we love all countrys . Iranians love the game but I do not know what we should have done so suffer.It’s really ugly and nasty.

Dedicated to the people of Iran.

ارسلان ایرانی-arsalan irani

25. Kabby

Pre-emptive supply block to prevent the Ghost Academy from being built.