Guild Wars 2 launch times – the final countdown

Thursday, 23rd August 2012 13:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Guild Wars 2 launches next week and to make sure you’re ready, ArenaNet has sent over a list of launch times to avoid any confusion.

Below are specific details regarding times and dates based on pre-purchases, pre-orders, or release day copies. We’ve provided the schedule to you before, but it’s getting go time, so we thought we’d refresh your memory.

Those who have not pre-purchased or pre-ordered the game, Guild Wars 2 will officially launch at midnight Pacific time (5.00am GMT) August 28.

Pre-purchasers of the game get a three-day head start come midnight Pacific time (5.00am GMT) on August 25. Servers may be online up to three hours prior for prepping.

Those who pre-ordered will receive a one-day head start, which begins at midnight Pacific time (5.00am GMT) on August 27. Those with a pre-order code can now register their game.

The client can also be downloaded today if the game has been registered and a Guild Wars 2 account has been created. Just head over to account management and start downloading in order to minimize the launch download.

A list of server names can be found here.

1. roadkill

I’m confused. What is the difference between pre-purchase and pre-order?

2. Phoenixblight

Pre-ordering you don’t put money down ie I got the game from Amazon which doesn’t take my money until the game is shipped or is released for download. Where if you bought the game through Arenanet you paid for the entire thing.

3. TheWulf

Pretty much everyone in my current social circle is looking forward to this one dropping. We’re all so burned out on typical MMOs that most haven’t even been worth looking at. I’ve poked most recent MMOs myself and meh… but GW2′s beta weekends and stress tests have been a blast. It’s just so different from the usual, traditional MMORPG stuff.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a game reward me for exploring so much, that’s for sure. In fact, WoW hated me for exploring. Took away wall-walking, wall-jumping, and every facet of exploration. But in GW2 you have vistas, you have hidden mini-dungeons with jumping puzzles, you have secret bosses, secret skill points (which unlock utility skills), secret events… and stuff that’s only found or triggered by exploring.

You can find and trigger a massive area event which everyone can benefit from, just by exploring. Just by poking things. Just by being curious. This suits my mindset perfectly.

The charr strawberry garden was a massive reward for getting curious about the village of Nolan just outside of the Black Citadel in the Diessa Plateau. And from what I understand, there’s a lot of that. I just can’t wait to get into this game and explore. After so many MMORPGs punishing me for even daring to think about exploring, having one that welcomes it with opens arms, and then rewards explorers so readily, is incredibly refreshing.

Bring it on, ArenaNet. We are ready!

4. GrimRita

I cant wait. All ready for a LONG weekend!

5. OlderGamer

Looking forward to it myself too.

6. viralshag

@3, It really takes away from your posts when you seem to feel the need to bash other games rather than just talk about what’s good about GW2. If the game is so good then let it stand on it’s own merits rather than the slain bodies of all the other MMOs that once “punished” you.

7. Phoenixblight

Agreed. Especially since I have played all the stress test and beta testing I am not seeing the game that Wulf talks about. It uses the same conventions as all MMOs they just streamlined them but underneath all its fancy doo-dads its the same ole same ole.

8. viralshag

@7, Well, I didn’t play all of them. I played the first beta and then about 15 minutes of another as I really couldn’t get into it. I decided my earlier posts on the game were being a bit troll-ish so I have refrained from being (that) negative about it as people seem to get so offended. I think I have remained pretty neutral since…

I do have my criticisms of the game and I would agree with what you said above. However, I’m still going to be playing it come Saturday morning and hopefully enjoying it more with a group of friends.

9. Phoenixblight

” I’m still going to be playing it come Saturday morning and hopefully enjoying it more with a group of friends.”

As will I since a large group of people from school and work will be playing I will be joining the fun.

10. viralshag

You’re going to be on the US servers, right? No chance of running into you on the battlefield? ;)

11. Phoenixblight

Yes the US servers. We are aiming for Dark Haven or Crystal Desert.

12. viralshag

Ah well, I’m going to be EU. I think we’re looking at Desolation… but then again I think everyone is.

13. GrimRita

Hey viral, we’re rolling on Gunnars Hold if you wanna come join us. http://www.twistedgw2.enjin.com/home

14. viralshag

Cheers Grim, I need to speak to my mates. I think the options being thrown around were Desolation, Blacktide or Underworld. For no reason other than they sounded cool. :p

If I’m not on Gunnars Hold, expect me to come guest it at least! :p

15. TheWulf

I’m not. You need to understand the meaning of the word ‘comparison,’ as I was making one. Let me help you.

An evaluation of the similarities and differences of one or more things relative to some other or each-other.

I was comparing the philosophy of Guild Wars 2 versus MMORPGs that came before it. I drew the conclusion that ArenaNet embraces explorers whereas other MMORPGs haven’t, and I stated that I find that refreshing versus the undeniably restrictive online environments that came before it.

It kind of takes away from your posts when you try to be clever, but your attempt falls flat on its face when you’ve clearly misinterpreted the point of the post you’re responding to.

I’d advise reading it again. But I can’t see you doing that.

16. TheWulf

Ever the master of total horseshit, aren’t you? I’m talking about the vistas, the hidden jumping puzzles, and the meta events (which involve either hidden areas with dynamic event activators, or events which open up new areas in the open world).

Now, either you’re lying through your teeth and thus being purposefully dishonest, or you’re completely shit at exploring. Either way, you should know better than to argue with me about exploring.

Anyway, I’ve offered up citations for my statement of there being rewards for exploration. I doubt you’ll actually apologise for being wrong and misleading people. You’re not man enough for that.

17. Phoenixblight

Yes yes Wulf, I am lying if that makes you sleep better at night. I played it and done the exploration parts at least some of them and there are plenty of MMOs that reward exploration, GW2 is not the first to do so. LOTRO rewards you for exploring as well and in some cases I prefer that way over how Arenanet did it.

Its my opinion and I am sticking to it. If you want to keep attacking people for having a different opinion, go for it. It just makes you look like an ass with your posts reeking of arrogance and holier-than-thou attitude.

18. TheWulf

And yeah, I’m going to be vitriolic because I’m tired of the standard of debate around here being fallacy, misinterpretation, and just outright lies. Some of you remind me far, far too much of weaselly politicians and it’s grating, it’s also tiresome. I’m not young, and I can’t be arsed to pussyfoot around topics just to assuage egos.

So if you’re pulling a Doctor of Spin role on me, don’t be surprised to see me calling out your shit. Because I will. That’s something I do. If you had less shit to call out, I’d be less angry.

19. Phoenixblight

U mad bro?

20. OrbitMonkey

@18, This is what it sounds like… When dweebs cry :’(

21. Hcw87

I loved the beta events as well, but the most important thing of any mmo is the endgame content. Can’t judge the game before a few weeks after release, and i’m guessing loads of people will complain of no proper endgame. What worries me a little is the fact that once you’ve explored every map, found every vista/puzzle etc, how is the game going to stay fresh on the second playthrough? At lvl 80 you’re expected to join wvw, structured pvp or the 5man dungeons, but only time will tell if this is enough. I certainly hope it is, because i loved what i played in the beta. Then again, almost every mmo impresses at low lvl, and most of them tend to get boring when you hit max lvl.

22. Kalain

By the looks of it, I’m the only one who is regretting actually pre-purchasing the game. I feel like this should’ve been F2P with MT’s all the way through as it really wasn’t worth the £50 I paid for it.

But that’s just my opinion.

For those of you who are looking forward to playing it, I hope it does keep you playing until you’re into your 2nd month of end game.

23. Phoenixblight

THe perk of the game is you play it and not worry about a sub. Even if I get 10-20 hours out of it it would have been worth it. I have bought games for full price and they rarely fulfill that requirement.

24. viralshag

@22, you’re not the only one.

@15, what ever you say, TheWulf. You always talk about people spreading lies and misinformation and yet seem happy to do it about other games when comparing them to GW2. And like #17 says, it’s not the first game to offer rewards for exploration. but I’m sure you will just say something like “I wasn’t comparing it to all MMOs.”

Of course it depends on how you define “rewards”, because when I first started playing WoW for example, being able to explore the majority of the zones from the get go was rewarding in itself.

25. DSB

I would give it a shot, but judging from what I read on VG247, it seems to me like the game revolves around talking about Blizzard, and I’m not sure that’s my idea of a good time :P

How is XP awarded? Do you get more for mentioning ArenaNet or Blizzard, and does it always have to be in the same sentence? Do you get a quest reward once your rant reaches a certain length?

26. OlderGamer

lol DSB.

27. magnumfinger

I have a bad feeling over this game.

28. viralshag

Well it seems even the mighty ArenaNet can’t avoid a shaky start. Game’s been down for over 90 minutes now. No word from them. Poorly thought out error messages blame the user and their firewall…

Obviously, this happens during most MMO launches but absolutely no reason for this one not to get called on it.

29. DSB

Oh wow. Next you’re gonna tell us that it’s just another gimmicky take on the same old MMORPG formula.

A LIKELY STORY, VIRALSHAG!