DmC: Devil May Cry sequel teased

Friday, 17th August 2012 12:12 GMT By Nick Akerman

DmC: Devil May Cry could be the first step in a new series of games. Capcom producer Alex Jones says he wants players to consider “what could come next” after finishing the main story.

In an interview scheduled to go live next week, Jones told VG247 that Dante’s development may lead to a few questions. Responding to a question asking if the game is more empathetic than previous iterations, Jones said:

“Yeah, the story is Dante kind of finding his purpose. He’s on the margins of society at the start and he’s just kind of surviving, and then Vergil finds him. At first, just by offering him an opportunity for revenge, Dante then at least has some sort of a goal. As he moves deeper into the story he becomes more connected with the larger struggle it’s about him finding his place in the world.”

When asked if players will gain more than “some balletic awesome shit” from the story’s conclusion, Jones offered a subtle hint at a future sequel.

“Yeah, hopefully ‘balletic awesome shit’ will be one of their few takeaways from the game. For the story, I hope it’s a satisfying story that resolves itself and potentially leaves people wanting to find out more about this world and what could come next. But yeah awesome balletic ass-kicking was one of the main objectives.”

DmC is scheduled to release on January 15 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. A PC version has also been announced, but without a concrete date.

1. Da Man

As someone thoroughly motivated by testosterone, I tend to care little about the outcomes of Dante’s.. story and tend to fear I won’t find this videogame of any use after having played Bayonetta.

What was his style again.. emo or punk? Always thought it was pervitin which did the job.

2. FeaturePreacher

Here’s to hoping this crap fails and capcom has to go back to the original Dante with the upcoming next generation of consoles.

3. ManuOtaku

Well iam on the other side of the fence, i really hope it will succeed, in order that capcom would care in doing new things with new ideas and not the same thing, i hope they decide to do this with Resindet Evil too, for me shadow of the damned was RE5, they need to keep shaking things up a little bit, of course with good developers like this one.

4. Dave Cook

@4 I’m with you, I hope it succeeds. I don’t care what a character looks like as long as the game they star is fun to play, which it is. They’ve put so much effort into what has been a risky project from start to finish and they deserve to do well out of it.

But I absolutely get why some people think the opposite, so please don’t think I’m trying to invalidate people who hate new Dante :)

It is actually really fun to play by the way, the combat is as intricate as hell, very similar to Bayonetta in some regards, and I freaking love Bayonetta. It’s funny, the visuals are ace, the world is fleshed out. I reckon it may surprise some people.

5. YoungZer0

@5: So glad to hear that. I guess when the game comes out and people see the positive reviews, all those crybabies are going to abandon their premature hatred for the game and buy it.

6. Gigabomber

I figured my hate would be all spent, but talking about a sequel before or even up to 1 month after release is very arrogant. Wishing for more fail from me.

7. absolutezero

I’m going nowhere near it. My dislike is not based on what Donte looks like. Its a factor along with the entire tone and feel of the game.

Looks nothing at all like Bayonetta. In fact thanks to 30FPS the frame lag means it can’t be anything like Bayo.

Force 10 crybaby engage.

8. Scared

With any luck a sequel will be a proper Devil May Cry 5. Capcom should have given the game to Platinum Games in the first place.