Video – Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance’s first 2.5 mins

Friday, 20th July 2012 06:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Watch Raiden slice a guy’s arse into three separate cross-section slices while in mid air in this Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance footage.

The arse slicing kicks off at about 2:30 but you should watch the whole thing, preferably in HD. IGN nabbed this footage from the game’s tutorial and it’s one of the first proper chances to see it in action since Platinum Games took over development.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance hits PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 early next year; you’ll be able to go hands on at gamescom or Eurogamer Expo, and I’m so envious I am becoming physically ill.

Thanks, Dark!

1. YoungZer0

The game is really growing on me. Actually, i can’t wait to play it.

2. Patrick Garratt

Yep. Looks awesome.

3. YoungZer0

Especially like the slicing-action at 2:30, that’s really something you usually only see in cutscenes.

4. Ireland Michael

This is Platinum.

I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that the gameplay in this game would be phenomenal, on that fact alone.

It looks even better than I thought.

5. YoungZer0

@4: But be honest, the first trailer made it look like they abandon everything Kojima Productions tried to do, and were going for another Ninja Gaiden-like game.

I’m glad they found a proper way to implement the slice-and-take mechanic back into it. And even add a little stealth mechanic. I mean gameplay-wise, what more do you want? Really hope the story is good, though. Now that Kojima is not writing it.

6. M. K.

Never liked Raiden, never liked MGS. But this is platinum and platinum is always a musthave, ALWAYS!

7. Deacon

Well bitches, that’s me sold.

8. viralshag

Mid-air arse slicing had me sold. Gutted it’s such a long wait.

9. MegaGeek1

New IP, exciting gameplay, MGS lore? thats ME sold.

10. Hcw87

It’s funny how they blatantly cut off before you can see the bodies/other stuff you cut in half disappear on the ground after some milliseconds. Watch the uncut footage from E3 and you’ll see what i mean.

What’s the point of going on a rampage slicing stuff up when it disappears before you can even see the carnage properly. Total immersion breaker, and puts me off bigtime.

Can see some here around 3:14 for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-tiYheNRsM

11. Deacon

With some games (like Vanquish), you barely have time to catch your breath and you’re being assaulted by yet another wave of enemies or distracted by some other incoming threat.

I get what you say about immersion, and while it would certainly be cool to create a mountainous pile of mush from the limbs and various body parts of your fallen enemies, I really don’t see it as being much of a deal-breaker that bodies may disappear shortly after ceasing to be.

We’re dealing with some pretty aged tech here, so you have to forgive things like this. It’s nothing new, so try not to let it ruin what looks to be an epic action adventure. Besides, I really don’t think they’re aiming for realism.

— I’d personally rather they dissolved into nothingness than hung around getting caught on your legs and generally being freaky a la Dark Souls.

“Welcome to the next gen of gaming – where all your dead bodies remain for the entirety of your playthrough”. You heard it here first.

12. osric90

Okay, I’m getting this. Even if it’s not an official cannonical MGS game, it’s a very smart and fun use of the IP.

13. YoungZer0

@10: Don’t’ complain about footage from an alpha demo. A lot can still change till its release. I wouldn’t care if it disappears, as long as its longer than 10 seconds before it does.

14. Erthazus

@,Hcw87,YoungZer0,

Bodies and stuff disappier because of the console’s crappy memory. Blame the hardware, not the developers.

They want the game to be in 40-50 frames per second and because of that bodies and everything else will disappier in a few seconds. Nothing will change.

15. YoungZer0

@14: Naw, i think there should be a way to make it.