BF3 and Bad Company 2 lead designer exits DICE

Friday, 13th July 2012 15:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 lead designer David Goldfarb has announced he is leaving DICE. Speaking with Kotaku, Goldfarb said: “It was time to move on for me. Fans have nothing to worry about.” While he isn’t sure where he is headed next, he has been rolling around an idea for a film script, and he’s been working on a novel on and off since the late ’90s. “Today and yesterday I worked on cleaning up and reframing chapter 1 and 2. Mostly what this was was coming to grips with the old style of the book, which is this thing a friend of mine called ‘Biblepunk’ for lack of a better word,” he said. “Or Old Testament noir. Anyway. It’s weird, and it’s especially weird revisiting it as a writer and being like, how the hell am I going to get myself back in that creative headspace again.”

1. Len

Good luck to him. I imagine he’s finished up all the content for the expansion packs and what not and deserves a break/change.

Meanwhile back to bf3 for me… :)

2. roadkill

His book should come out in less than two weeks. I can’t wait. This guy is awesome in everything he does. :)

3. Da Man

Just imagine what would be this comment section if it was CoD.

how the hell am I going to get myself back in that creative headspace again.”
    Yep, must be tough after working with uninspired bs which on top of that is being cloned and milked,

This is probably the beginning of the end for Bf though.

4. Ireland Michael

@3 “Just imagine what would be this comment section if it was CoD.”

Absolutely nothing. Lead designers for Call of Duty change like the wind, but nobody cares. Because they understand that sometimes people just want to move onto other things.

It takes far more than one person to create the identity of a game, and it takes far more than one person to define it. That’s why the CoD games haven’t been anywhere near as good since almost the entirety of Infinity Ward jumped shipped. They had a knack for the formula that the other developers simply don’t.

Talk about a pointless post necro

5. Da Man

Okey dokey.

6. Ireland Michael

@5 Okely dokely. GET IT RIGHT!

7. Da Man