Wii U is at “minimum as powerful as Xbox 360,” says Crytek

Wednesday, 20th June 2012 18:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Crytek’s Cevat Yerli has said Wii U is “minimum on par” with current generation consoles, and while the firm isn’t developing a game for the console at present, its CryEngine 3 runs “beautifully” on the console.

“My opinion of the Wii U is very high,” Yerli told CVG. “It’s just that we didn’t have a business case unfortunately that justifies us making a game for it. It doesn’t mean that CryEngine 3 doesn’t run on Wii U – it actually runs beautifully.

“In fact, there actually is a game in development from a respected developer that we will be announcing. I’ve seen the game running and it looks really great.”

Yerli said he is also unsure why the general public is unsure of Wii U’s capabilities.

“From my perspective I do not understand the public’s concerns that the Wii U is weaker than PS3 and 360,” he said. “That I cannot see. From my perspective the Wii U is minimum as powerful as Xbox 360.”

1. Ge0force

A brand new console which isn’t even available yet seems to be on par with 7 years old hardware, and Yerli is unsure why the general public is unsure of Wii U’s capabilities? Now that’s funny :)

2. ManuOtaku

so if it can runs Cryengine 3, is not that bad really, i think in the end it will be closer to the next sony and microsoft systems,that many people believes, then if this is true the announced leaked price is not that far off.

3. a7md1990

@1 LMAO!! I couldn’t have said it better.

4. Phoenixblight

“i think in the end it will be closer to the next sony and microsoft systems”

What? Devs have already said that it is on par with current gen. It will not compete with the next gen Xbox and SOny System as far as specs go.

5. polygem

it doesn´t need better specs. for third party stuff ok. but it will be good enough for porting third party stuff for the next few years. then we´ll see. nintendo hardware always was “weaker” but you know, it has nintendo games. zelda HD (!)…everyone who loves games needs to buy this machine anyway.

6. reask

Kinda with polygem on this tbh.
    Glossy games are all well and good but the next innovation needs to be in gameplay imo.

Getting bored at this stage with the pixel count been the most important aspect.
    I had no time for Wii but will be following the u with interest.
    Games seem to have gone one way only for the most part in the last while and that seems to be to appeal to the short attention span market ie if you dont get a automatic save every 10 seconds it aint good enough.

Sorry if I seem a bit cynical but I am finishing less nd less games as I tend to get bored half way through a lot of them recently.
    Could be just me/

7. Phoenixblight

Next gen won’t be bringing just new eye candy but gameplay aspects as well more RAM and CPU power allows for better AI, more enemies on the screen, more animation, physics, etc etc.

Nintendo hasn’t done a lot with the Wii except putting the whole motion control but as far as gameplay it is the same as it was last gen and the one before it the difference is the control scheme. THe last Zelda was a perfect example of that, nothing changed. It followed the same formula as previous games just improved controls.

8. Gekidami

^ Quit that fucking logic talk. WiiU will be better because Mario.

9. absolutezero

Its only with this generation of consoles that Nintendo has brought weaker consoles, spec-wise, to the market. The NES was weaker than the Master System, the SNES more powerful than the Mega Drive.

Even the Gamecube was somewhere between the PS2 and the Xbox. It makes sense for a company that only has video games to rely on to bow out of the arms race. When your competition is mega-corporations its best to just not compete at all.

Improved controls in Skyward Sword is arguable but in a series as long as Zelda I’d say the changes that they did make were quite large. Its nothing like Wind Waker and its nothing like Twilight Princess outside of general game structure.

The only thing I want from the upcoming generation is either 720p with 2xAA and 60FPS for everything. Or stable 30FPS 1080p. I have a horrible feeling we will see neither.

10. Phoenixblight

The Demos of WiiU had no AA so I wouldn’t expect it. I am on the fence for the WiiU. The only thing that will sell it will be what the 3rd party does for it. If its just another system where you wait for the 1st Party than I will ignore it. I don’t need another paperweight like the Wii was for me.

11. absolutezero

I was refering solely about the Sony and Microsoft next generation unknown consoles rumoured to be releasing in or around the year 2014.

12. Phoenixblight

Even GPU of the last 2 years can do that at the very minimum but that is all based on how much stuff is being thrown on the screen.

13. absolutezero

Which is why I’m pretty sure its not going to happen.