Dawnguard bigger than Fallout 3 DLC, smaller than Oblivion’s

Friday, 15th June 2012 03:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dawnguard, the upcoming DLC pack for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, is bigger than anything Bethesda produced for Fallout 3, lead artist Matt Carofano has confirmed.

“It’ll take between 10 and 20 hours to beat. It’s about as long as a faction line,” the artist told Shack News.

It won’t be the biggest expansion the developer has produced to date but it does beat out everything but the most significant content drop for the previous Elder Scrolls game, Oblivion.

“Dawnguard will be significantly bigger than any Fallout DLC,” Carofano said.

“We wanted to do something more in depth than that. It’s not as big as Shivering Isles, but there’s still a lot of content there.”

Dawnguard features vampires and the titular faction which fights against them; it arrives on Xbox 360 on June 26 and will trickle down to PC and PlayStation 3 after a 30 day exclusivity expires.

1. Phil Hornshaw

Actually, that interview wasn’t with Shack News, but with Game Front. :)

2. ejams

So does that justify the $20 price tag? For a Bethesda game’s DLC I personally think so, but what do you guys think? Im still holding out for the Morrowind/Cyrodiil conversion :D

3. Wychodzew

If this comes out for PC I’ll definitely buy it as long as it stays for $20(€16). That’s cheap for 10 to 20 hours of gameplay. I like this whole vampire hunting stuff anyways. Reason enough to buy it and play the game again.

4. frostquake

If this is too pricey for my USA fiends, then get it with the GOTY, which will surely come out with all DLC goodies, at a very good price!

5. VikingenJonatan

Anyone know if I could get the crossbow even as vampire lord?

6. fightclubdoll

I’m a little sad that it’s smaller than Shivering Isles. Skyrim is smaller than Oblivion already. Still, it does come with a lot of content that I’ve wanted since back in the glory days of Oblivion, offering long desired opportunities for the first time. And I’m very excited about the new stories, new characters and the new Daedric realm focused on a Daedric Prince. Hopefully it’s something like the focus given to Sheogorath in Oblivion’s Shivering Isles DLC, just as Skyrim shifted the setting to a new region; it’s nice to see something new from the many potential things that, although included/touched upon, we’ve never previously been able to explore in depth.

Still, somehow I thought Skryim would be bigger and better than Oblivion, and in my opinion, despite the handful of changes and new things Skyrim does bring to the table, it’s not. Oblivion was better.
    But I’ve played it to death, and Skyrim is the only replacement.

@#5 I’d imagine that just killing someone with a crossbow would let you get a crossbow.

7. mega0wn3r

I’ve played it. :)
    You can get Auri-El’s bow from either side, as far as I know. You can get crossbows on the vampire lords’ side, but you’ll run out of bolts unless you constantly hunt down Dawnguard for ‘em. I’m playing through as Dawnguard right now and it seems a lot better. For 500 gold I got an armored troll to follow me and the vampire-lady follower is even with me because (spoiler) she doesn’t want to be killed by her dad.

I think the vampire thing is cool, but then it’s over and you’re like “WTF?”.
    BTW, when you first start the Dawnguard quest, don’t run up to the Dawnguard as a werewolf. I thought they were like the companions, but they’re not…