Schaefer – Diablo III was originally intended as an MMO

Thursday, 14th June 2012 17:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Runic boss Max Schaefer has said Blizzard originally intended to develop Diablo III as an MMO. Speaking with Games.on.net, Schaefer, who was the executive producer on Diablo and Diablo II, also said he was rather pleased when he found out the studio would be implementing always-online and auction houses into the game. “[Runic] already decided we were kinda going the opposite way with that, ” he said, “so when they came out with those announcements it was good for us because we could draw some distinctions between the two games.” According to Schaefer, pre-sales of Torchlight II on Steam went up 40% the day Diablo III released, and have remained steady.

1. YoungZer0

“it was good for us because we could draw some distinctions between the two games.”

That is definitely one way to put it. :P

2. DSB

They also intended to develop Diablo II as an MMO.

Torchlight II has lots of advantages, but to me the beta just wasn’t as thrilling as Diablo III. The abilities are all pretty basic, and there’s not a lot of consequence in how you attack a pack of mobs.

The depth seems to be reserved for everything but the gameplay.

It might last longer than Diablo III, though. I’m getting tired of playing through the same four acts over and over again.

3. Se_7_eN

@ DSB -

Interesting, I had the exact opposite reaction as you to the Torchlight 2 beta. I found it to be a far better / more fun experience than Diablo 3.

Diablo 3 didn’t seem to have any challenging moments unless you were playing through the game for the 3rd time… I felt the complete opposite with Torchlight 2. Needless to say, I am really excited for it!

4. DSB

@3 That’s obviously one place where Torchlight has an advantage. I totally agree that it’s ridiculous to waste peoples time like that, just to play at a difficulty that’s actually challenging.

It’s a 4 hour+ long tutorial.

But that wasn’t really what I was referring to. Once the difficulty does ramp up, it becomes pretty challenging to face a mob pack, and I think that’s vastly more rewarding than simply shooting randomly in a general direction like you do in Torchlight II, without really having to react to anything.

I think Diablo III is mediocre as a whole. It had the potential for a lot more, but it seized none of it.

At the same time though, beyond the number crunching, the offline capability, the humor, the modding, the music and the greater degree of choice, I don’t really see how Torchlight II is better than Diablo II when it comes to actually playing it.

5. macronia

I think he meant ” Diablo III was originally intended as a single player but now we made it an MMO “

6. YoungZer0

For me the only thing that’s better about Diablo III is the art-direction, not that Torchlight’s art-direction is bad or anything, but the fluffy-character-design really a hate or love thing. And i hate it. Not enough to not buy it, but i’m not in favor of it.

7. Gheritt White

@ #6: I completely agree. I really *want* to prefer Torchlight 2 to Diablo 3, but it does seem a bit too cutesy for my tastes,

8. viralshag

Wasn’t Torchlight also going to be an MMO? That’s what I remember hearing a lot about when it hit the scene.