It’s “our intent” to make RAGE a big franchise, says Bethesda

Friday, 8th June 2012 09:51 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Bethesda marketing and PR boss Pete Hines has said to Eurogamer it still intends to make RAGE one of its bigger franchises.

He said in an E3 interview it is “certainly our hope and certainly our intent” to flesh out the id shooter as a series.

RAGE launched as id Software’s new IP, but sales numbers on the game have yet to be released and news on the series itself quiet since last year.

We’re looking at doing some things with Rage. But obviously the first thing out of anybody’s lips now when we talk about id is not, hey, what else is up with Rage?,” said Hines.

“They’re asking the question they’ve been asking for five years, six years, seven years, which is, where’s Doom 4? What about Doom 4?

“As far as where we are with Rage, the future for that is still TBD.”

And of that other id shooter that’s in the works?

“It’s being worked on,” was all Hines would say on it.

1. Maximum Payne

While rage is ok game , they need to make it more open , to explore something interesting.Maybe even to ditch vehicles.

2. Pytox

Rage was descent, it could’ve been worse heh.
    Sad that it didn’t look that great at launch … :x

3. TheBlackHole

I think the ship has sailed to make it a ‘big franchise’. You only really get one shot at that.

4. Hirmetrium

RAGE is one of the most boring and forgettable IP’s ever. Yes, some of the opposing soldiers look cool, but… thats about it. The rest is a mis-mash of fallout (LOL BUNKER FROM NUKE UNTIL FUTURE), and borderlands.

BRINK, however, was an excellent IP property – just it was a crap game. Drop RAGE, and focus on BRINK.

Everything from Bethesda except Skyrim last year was a massive disappointment to me. BRINK was fun for a good few hours (still not worth the price paid), and RAGE was boring me from the start.

5. Vastluck

Agreed with Hitmetrium. My experiences with RAGE were rather similar – after having survived (!!) ~2h of boredom, I started to call it a synonym of boredom. Going on later, I was totally convinced myself that RAGE isn’t worth of attention from a gamer who values his free-time.

id soft. need to concentrate on gameplay, quests and implementation of sand-box features, otherwise they’ll fail again significantly.

if id soft. is unable to realize a better sequel, why not making a contract with some other studio, bethesda?

6. bo_7md

The only thing that was good about rage was the boomerang. The rest of it sucked, especially the ending.

I wouldn’t buy Rage2 unless I see major changes in game-play and story. But I wouldn’t say don’t make another one, everyone deserves a second chance.

7. Edo

And this time don’t even bother releasing the PC version.

8. silkvg247

Meh, I liked it. Only complaint was it was too small.

9. drewbles82

Rage should wait till next gen, hopefully xbox can have a bigger disc type even if it is blu-ray. Open world is great but you need to fill it with stuff.

10. Dimaco

I also kinda liked it, technically speaking (played it on PS3) it was really cool, but yeah, the ending was truly cr**py, too short and meaningless.
    Would buy a next-gen sequel with more freedom to explore, bigger environments and more things to do, sure would.

11. xxJPRACERxx

I really liked RAGE especially the solid shooting. But they should drop the sandbox element and quests, and concentrate 100% of the resources to make it a linear shooter. The main missions were great, the exploration, races and side-quests were boring.

12. viralshag

Wasn’t a huge fan of RAGE. I wouldn’t be interested in a sequel. Totally agree with #4 though.

13. HeavyD-Love

I loved Rage. Just needed more multiplayer features.

14. DSB

Yup, RAGE was garbage. If id really consider that worth betting on, then they’ve pretty much lost the plot.

At least for me it was the Homefront of the apoco-shooters.

15. TD_Monstrous69

RAGE was a game that had an interesting world, spectacular art direction, and gameplay that was as smooth as butter. But from a design and storyboard standpoint, RAGE was one of the worst games I’ve ever played. It started out at a very good, leisurely pace, but within the final 30 percent of the game, it feels like the developer’s trying to push you out the door, by forcing a story on you that has no depth, or any real clear explanation as to why it is you’re involved in any of the events. New characters are introduced into the story, but then inconsplicably removed, and there are places mentioned in this paper-thin story that sound really interesting, but are never explored. Also, a lot of the characters you meet in the game are nothing more than charicatures (though some very colorful), with no growth or real sense of person to them. Plus, if I can see where my enemies spawn (naimgly, mutants popping out of random closets), you’re doing something wrong. But one of the more glaring issues this game faced (and a problem that didn’t rear its ugly head until the end of the game) were the types of enemies. The Gearheads were essentially just a less-armored version of The Authority’s armored troops with russian accents, and The Authority mini-boss’s are just guys with different armor color, and a bigger gun. Also, there isn’t much difference between the bandits and the mutants within this game. Despite my glaring criticisms, I really hope that Bethesda and id can make RAGE into a major franchise. Because the formula for a great game really is there, it’s just id’s execution with this first try is pretty underwhelming.

16. Kuwabara

rage had it’s moments, but i felt like i was in a empty ” small” world. Over too soon, and nothing to do besides the short story. 7/10, being generous.

17. HauntaVirus

For PC, Rage was the most over-hyped, epic fail I can think of.

18. TheWulf

Rage was an incredibly shallow experience, and visually dull. It was wannabe Borderlands but it didn’t have the cojones to go all the way with its creative vision. Instead it was Id Brown™. I’d even go so far as to call it creatively bankrupt. But then people seem to like creatively bankrupt, so maybe Rage is popular?

I don’t know, but if it were me? I’d do with it as was done with E.T., I’d just bury it in a desert and try to forget it even existed. I certainly wouldn’t try to make a franchise out of that abject failure.

19. Beta

I wanted to love it, but I could not get immersed in the universe, it was almost archaic in it’s gameplay and I just sort of burned out after a few hours.

It sits on my shelf now, unused & waiting for the day when I trade it in for credit on a better game.

20. TheWulf

I feel it’s easier to love Borderlands, because that’s clearly the game it was trying so hard to rip off. But it didn’t have the creative vision that Borderlands did, so… yeah. And Borderlands 2 is looking even better.

I really just wish that Id would try and concentrate on GAMES rather than technology demos because–let’s face it–the Id tech is years and years behind where Epic’s Unreal Engine is right now. I honestly think they should fire Carmack and just try to concentrate on making good games.

It’s Carmack’s obsession with eccentric, outdated engines that’s ruining Id. He likes WEIRD technology (see Rage), but that isn’t necessarily good technology. I mean, the whole megatextures thing? The only thing that was mega about that technology was its level of fail.

Seriously, Carmack is just killing Id.

21. Beta

@20 Borderlands is indeed awesome, Rage is like the little brother trying (and failing) to copy it. I completely agree about Carmack, if Id spent less time on flawed technology like megatextures and more time on actually making fun gameplay and even a partially compelling story, then Rage could have been excellent.

Instead it’s a glorified tech demo.

22. ManuOtaku

Iam with the side of people that did like Rage, and iam glad they are thinking on delivering more on it, working the things that werent good in the first game, this game have the potential to be a great series.

Now i dont get why people got and ID game expecting a story tour the force game, i didnt felt let down with this game because the only thing i did ask for this game was solid FPS mechanics and gameplay, and in that it delivered, it is trully an ID Game, and a fine one in that, the rest is not ID strong thing, it never was and i think they need to work hard and with new people in order to give great stories in their games IMHO.

23. Gigabomber

@4 I agree with all of that, both for Rage and Brink.