Treyarch gives you a behind-the-scenes preview of Black Ops 2

Thursday, 7th June 2012 14:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Activision has released a new video in which Treyarch head Mark Lamia and the rest of the Black Ops 2 development team reveal their motivations as they develop the next title in the Call of Duty franchise. Below the break, watch as Lamia and his team reveal some of the various weapons and technology, discuss the campaign, graphics, multiplayer and the return of Black Ops zombies. Games out in November.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Well, they certainly talk a good game.

I watched the E3 gameplay again, and it looked much more interesting the 2nd time around… Apart from the gun that unconvincingly shoots through concrete pillars without damaging them and one or two moments where the whole ground was supposed to be shaking, but we didn’t get any first person camera shake. Both of which just came across as needing a lot more work.

The vehicle parts seemed pretty fun, though.

What they say about an organic storyline seems interesting, too.

However, it’s difficult to decide how I feel about it so far until I see some multiplayer…

2. OrbitMonkey

I’m still bummed they didn’t stick with a retro vibe. This feels like a MW 3.5… Halo 4 felt fresher and less dependant on techno gadgetry…

3. G1GAHURTZ

I agree there. (Not about retro, though)

I’m more hyped for Halo 4 than this so far…

4. Ireland Michael

Can we accuse Call of Duty of jumping the shark yet?

5. Moonwalker1982

It’s beyond me that people still buy it every fucking damn year, how can they NOT get tired of this? Seriously! It’s the same as Rockstar releasing a GTA every year or Bethesda releasing Elder Scrolls every year, i love those games but hell no that i want them every year. Microsoft actually ending their PC with this was a disgrace.

6. OrbitMonkey

@4 Fuck off you BattleField fanboy!!

:-P

7. DSB

@4 Already did!

Isn’t jumping the shark just the best expression?

8. Ireland Michael

Even by the standards of past Call of Duty demos, it was absolutely terrible. If that section is one of the major highlights of the game, they’re fucked.

Hopefully this will the game that finally makes them realize that they need to shake things up a bit.

@7 Hah! Beat me to it, you bastard.

9. OlderGamer

@Moonwalker, while I agree with you. 110% infact. Yearly releases can devalue a franchise. Oversaturation is not a good thing. And more then a few once fan fav, best selling games are now dead because of it.

Some people will not agree or even listen to your pov.

Give me my fav game franchise, give it to me year after year, and by the time we reach fourth or fifth release, I am burnt out. Esp if the core gameplay hasn’t changed and evolved to a point where the experience of playing it is able to differentiate itself game to game and feel fresh. Whats the harm is spacing out your franchise releases?

I think it is a major drag on the games industry right now.

10. G1GAHURTZ

They’re not alive! They’re games!

Play them until you get bored, then play something else.

You’re hooked on this ludicrous personification of games as some sort of lonely individual that needs nurturing.

Play them, enjoy them, play something else.

How can you get “burnt out” on a game that no one’s forcing you to play??

11. G1GAHURTZ

@5:

If you can’t understand it, just think about it this way:

CoD is like football.

Every new version is like the same team with new signings.

Fans never get bored of supporting one team. They expect one or two new signings each year, but they want the same club, wearing the same shirt.

They play in the same stadium, on the same pitch, in the same competitions, with the same rules and the same expectations every year.

The only real differences being the actual matches, which, game after game, are never the same for a single second.

They are usually exciting from the first minute, to the last.

It’s as simple as that.

12. Ireland Michael

@10 He’s not talking about his personal preference regarding the franchise. He’s talking about the business logistics behind the approach, and how it affects consumers. His point has absolutely nothing to do with whether he likes Call of Duty or not. I figured that was pretty obvious.

tl;dr version: The grown ups are having a mature discussion. Go away.

@11 And then there are the people who *don’t* like football in the slightest… for the *very* reasons you just mentioned.

13. G1GAHURTZ

He’s not talking about his personal preference regarding the franchise.

Neither was I. You drunk or something?

Also, I don’t care who doesn’t like football. It’s irrelevant.

Billions of people do, and it’s the worlds most popular sport.

Anyway, you seem to keep forgetting that I’m older than you, young kid.

So grow up.

14. Erthazus

When i watched E3 Gameplay traler i could not recognize where was actually GAMEPLAY there. It’s like there was everything scripted. Lol.

15. drewbles82

Same thing every year. Though the biggest buyers of the game are prob all under 18. I saw more kids in the queue at Tescos midnight launch on a school night than adults.

I’ve lost interest, map packs are still too expensive, if they did them like Rock band Tracks and let you export them to the next game, it be more fun. Think bout how many people bought blackops 4 map packs, new game out in a few months, most likely neva go back to the 1st game. Waste of money.

16. Ireland Michael

@13 Billions? Source? I know it’s popular, but that doesn’t mean anything.

The people who don’t like soccer are somehow “wrong” if they don’t like it? Everyone is different, and people are engaged by different things. Some people like physical stimulation, other people prefer mental stimulation. Some like to kick a ball around a field. Others like to sit in their couch and read a good book.

Some people like to shoot things. Other people like to see lots of numbers popping up on the screen when they select abilities on their personally developed characters.

Most of the people I know *don’t* like soccer. I can fully appreciate the sport for the intricate, moving game of chess that it is and the skill it involves. But watching matches, following teams, listening to commentary? It bores me absolutely shitless. But I love watching martial arts tournaments. (Proper martial arts, based on discipline and skill. not that self-indulgent, over-glorified MMA or UFC bullshit.)

@14 Most of it. Half of the “gameplay” involved th guy standing still and shooting things. That’s some of the worst sniping gameplay I’ve ever seen in anything.

@15 Activision knows this all too well. And that’s *exactly* why they do it.

17. M. K.

Looks reallY GOOD

18. JeRicHoOL

Well said!

It ain’t that expensive if you have Elite.
    If you go buy that logic then all DLC’s would be a waste of money. The people who play an older version of a series are in the minority I would guess than the people playing the newest version.

However I do believe, the series has to step up now to break their own records again. BO2 will still have good sales due to the large CoD community but I doubt it will break any records.

Unfortunately the MP footage hasn’t impressed me one bit so far . However I’m still extremely excited about Zombies this time.

19. M. K.

There’s mp footage? Show me please :o

20. Da Man

Well put, Ghz.

21. JeRicHoOL

Oops, I meant stuff like locations, weapons, etc.

22. M. K.

Damn, I was like “I missed something!!111″ for a minute :D

23. G1GAHURTZ

What are you wittering on about, O’Connor.

You must be drunk. When did I say that people who didn’t like football were wrong?

I made the simple point that one thing was popular for the same reasons that make another thing popular.

I don’t care if you like one, both or none of them.

Sober up.

24. M. K.

Just watched it for the second time. There’s new footage in it, just for those who are interested in the game instead of posting bull**** ;)

25. DSB

I think the “CoD” model (or really EA Sports model) is pretty sound, and I can definitely get behind it as iterations on a competitive game, but at the same time I feel like Treyarch have been two steps behind from the beginning.

Black Ops was a brilliant idea, but it didn’t translate into a brilliant game, so my problem is that you’re looking at the same developers, attempting the same game, in a far less appealing setting.

If anything this looks like Battlefield LA, and even if Treyarch haven’t really impressed me, going back in time while everyone else is doing either contemporary or future shooters is a great idea. That’s exactly why Modern Warfare blew everyone away in the first place. It just did something else.

26. M. K.

`Black Ops was a brilliant idea, but it didn’t translate into a brilliant game`

Because you didn’t like it. There’re a lot of people out there who think the same, but Black Ops offers the best gameplay (since CoD4) and a lot of great features that never have been shown in any of IW’s CoDs :)

27. DSB

@26 Obviously. It’s just my opinion.

I just know that no CoD has ever wasted as much of my time on poorly placed checkpoints, bugs and broken scripting, or retarded serverbrowsers. Really, zombies is pretty crap compared to something like Killing Floor too.

28. OrbitMonkey

@25, Spot on. Oh well let’s hope Treyarch have a decent mp… But this isn’t a day one for me anymore :-(

29. G1GAHURTZ

Are they doing some sort of open world zombie mode…?

They could be, looking at the clips in that video…

I think that would be interesting. Zombie mode never really interested me before.

30. HauntaVirus

I’m not in the pre-order crowd for CoD games anymore, I’ll have to see how this one plays out. I’m sure as hell not into the CoD Elite gig.

31. majicship

I like BLOPS more than any other COD game, but only because I suck at online play and I am a single player campaign man meself. Therefore all I am left with is ‘Combat Training’ which is frikin’ sweet as far as I am concerned. I only hope they can develop Combat Traiing to include games such as Domination and Capture the Flag etc. If they do then I’m in on day one.

Re gaming burnout – I quite agree. Take Assassin’s Creed for example. It was really good up until Brotherhood. I loved it, but I got burned out by the time Ubisoft released the money making churn that was Revelations. It might have been a good game etc. but I was so over Ezio by then I couldn’t have cared less. Therefore I can see that ‘modern warfare’ games with their similar door breaching mechanics are going the same way, which is why I went back in time and played CoD 3 recently. Who would have thought that shooting nazi’s would ever get so boring?

32. G1GAHURTZ

Why in the world did you decide to play CoD3??

CoD2′s campaign is about a million times better.

Have you tried The Orange Box?

It’s probably a better choice than any CoD if you only want a single player FPS.

33. M. K.

Orange Box? You must be kidding :)