Quantic Dream “unhappy with everything” about Heavy Rain

Wednesday, 30th May 2012 23:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Despite showing the world a thing or two about graphical prowess and cinematic gameplay, Quantic Dream boss David Cage says the team weren’t satisfied with Heavy Rain.

“We were pretty much unhappy with everything. We thought we could have done a better job in all areas, and have better rendering, and better visuals, and better gameplay, and better everything,” Cage told Gamasutra in a much-quoted interview.

“This is definitely things we took into account designing the new technology, wanting to work with performance capture. And we wanted a better blend of storytelling and interactivity. We thought that sometimes in Heavy Rain there were moments where the balance wasn’t exactly right. We are working on new ways of merging this in a more natural and fluid way,” he added.

In other ways, of course, Cage has plenty of reason to be happy with the game, noting that it sold well.

“I think it performed better than anyone’s expectations, including ours, to be honest,” he said.

Rumour has it Cage will debut his new project at E3 2012; Quantic Dream released a tech demo at GDC which has cranked anticipation up several notches.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. Hunam

I hope the next game is a little more weird than HR. Fahrenheit was a little too far fetched, Rain, not enough.

2. TD_Monstrous69

Keep pushing boundaries, and always looking to improve from their last work. Reasons on why it is I like David Cage and Quantic Dream. Really hope he’s part of Sony’s E3 press conference on monday.

3. loveaya

@1,i prefer Indigo Prophecy than Fahrenheit~

4. vodka-bull

Wow, what a coinsidence, I found it to be disappointing as well.

5. Ireland Michael

@3 They’re the same game. =P

Heavy Rain had its fair share of problems, no doubt about that, but it did a lot of things right too, and its structure has the potential to go a long way in future games. Looking forward to seeing what these guys come up with next.

6. Stardog

@1 – I hope not. Those were the worst parts of Indigo Prophecy.

If I play a game where you walk around then randomly have some stupid fucking “vision”, I’m quitting.

7. Colin Gallacher

@5 JASON? JASON! :D

I’d love to see something in the same universe that Kara is set in.

8. Ireland Michael

@7 Certain things are allowed to suck if they generate their own popular meme. That makes it acceptable. =P

9. Moonwalker1982

Quantic Rain? Surely you mean Dream :D

10. ejams

Quantic Rain – wut

11. Johnny Cullen

I’ve fixed it.

12. ejams

Hehe alright :) And not being satisified with everything is a little bit on the negative side. It was a plunge in to new territory for games for the most part so they were trying something new, and a lot of people enjoyed it.

13. TMWaH

I’m really bothered by the fact that people seem to celebrate Heavy Rain as a landmark achievement, when it’s just a B-movie masquerading as a video game. It aspires to resonate on a personal level, but the characters are hollow, unsympathetic, and unrealistic. The story is full of holes, and entire plot threads go nowhere at all. And keep in mind – Cage takes the time to criticize the visuals, the rendering, the gameplay… but not the story. Which was his job. In fact, he’s so proud of the story, he insists that people should only play it once, because “that’s their unique experience”.

Stop celebrating this man. Stop celebrating Heavy Rain. Look at all of its mistakes, and instead of saying, “heh, we should have done better, but oh well, maybe next time”, find out what can be done to avoid it. And stop trying to make video games imitate movies – they’re a media all their own, and should be treated that way.

14. Phoenixblight

You may not have liked the game but there are people that enjoyed it. I know I for one enjoyed the game and thought it had a fantastic story especially compared to most triple A games. You have your opinion and that’s all it is.

15. _LarZen_

Heavy Rain is one of the best gaming experinces I have had in my 25 years of gaming when I started as a eight year old kid.

16. Ali Hayas

This guy and his team are good at nothing but bragging.

17. polygem

@15: really?
    i think it was ambitious, but i got bored really quick, actually never finished it – so maybe i cannot judge it really. the story didn´t suck me in AT ALL.
    it had huge potential and i like that they see their own work critically now. only good for the next game. then the next game maybe could become one of my best gaming experiences of the last 25 years too…
    heavy rain is not even in my top 50…maybe not even top 100…no it certainly isn´t

so i guess i am more with what # 13 said.

18. sybs

I’m suspicious that this is Molyneux style marketing of “The previous game was bad, but the next one will be the one you all always wanted!”

19. Lewis247

Hmmmm It’s amazing to see so many people come out and actually critisize the game for what it is yet how come it wasn’t so long ago many ps3 fans quickly jumped to “OMFGZ BEST GAME EVUR PS3 RULEZ”… Sheesh.

20. TheBlackHole

I was unhappy with everything about Heavy Rain too.

21. polygem

@19…hmmm maybe because it´s just not the same people…

22. hookurs

I hate the story so much. As soon as the flashback went to the kid drowning and he said the killers name, I almost dropped the controller and walked out of the room.

Worst. Story. Ever. If that guy was the writer, then he needs to apologize for the story first.