European Diablo III servers revert to error 37 and 73

Wednesday, 30th May 2012 21:05 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Diablo III’s EU servers have apparently failed to fully recover from patch 1.0.2′s delivery yesterday, with European players complaining of consistent errors 37 and 73 when trying to log-in today.

Play has been sporadic since Blizzard deployed the patch, and hundreds of people are complaining of being unable to log-in today despite servers in all regions being displayed as live.

One thread on the Blizzard forums is now at over 1,000 posts, with constant complaints of error 37 and error 73 (look in “popular topics” on the right), which respectively say servers are too busy and that Battle.net is offline.

The latest update warns users that although “the service” is back online, error 37 will continue while loads are high.

“The authentication process can take up to 30-40 seconds. Please wait for this process to complete instead of cancelling and restarting the login,” Blizzard requested.

The publisher assured fans earlier that: “We’re aware that many players are receiving error 37 when logging into the game. Please note that this error indicates that all servers are full, and that we’re currently receiving a high volume of log-in traffic.

“We’re working to reduce the frequency at which players are prompted with this error message and ensure that everyone can successfully log in to the game and play.”

Blizzard has come under fire from fans over server issues since launching Diablo III on May 15, especially in the first 48 hours after release.

Diablo III requires a constant internet connection to play.

1. Sherif Saed

I might just be unlucky, but this is the 3rd time now I want to play in this week and I cant.
    Sort it out you fuckin wankers.

2. noherczeg

It’s 74 now. Auth servers are down AFTER A 10 HOUR MAINTENANCE. People are raging on the forums, no post from blues. This is a joke.

3. Patrick Garratt

They must be in crisis mode now. I was able to log-in late this morning, but that’s been it since yesterday. The US servers are definitely up. They should say something. The Blizz forums are going nuts.

4. rami2010

lol even here some1 talking about error 37 i think this error is really famous now :)

5. thesamy

you would think..with all the money this company got and the amount of game they shiped to stores they will be ready for this.

blizzard what has happend to you?

6. noherczeg

#5

Money. They have the name now, they have the fanbase now, no need for value anymore.

7. Dark

@4 lol yep

8. DSB

Actually Error 37 is the authentication server denying you due to the pressure. If you keep copy-pasting your password when you get 37, you will eventually get in.

If the Error 37 is instant, that means it’s denying you flatout. If it hangs on Authenticating Account, that means you should leave it alone. It may time out, but it’s gotten me in every time. Usually within 30 seconds.

It is pretty odd to see Blizzard struggle like that, even weeks after the launch. At least up until D3, they had a reputation as the best engineers in the industry when it came to networking.

More distubingly, when I logged into today I had apparently lost all the unlocks I had for my coop banner. Pretty fucking lame.

9. Phoenixblight

Thats what it has always been about. THere is no other reason to make a brand other than getting paid for it.

10. rami2010

@8 if i understand what u saying if we pass error 37 we can get in how about the twins error 73 and 74

11. TheWulf

Exactly.

If Blizzard announced a new single player game tomorrow with always online DRM, people would be hyping it up and insulting the shit out of anyone who dared to dissent. Then they’d line up at the stores, eager with their money, and they’d come home to their error 37s.

I know it sucks for everyone, but really… you should know to expect this kind of ‘quality’ from Blizzard at this point.

12. DSB

@10 Yeah. It’s up and running if you get 37, it’s just completely bogged down with requests. If you keep trying, you’ll get in.

No clue about 73 and 74. 75 is down for maintenance I think. I’m sure someone is making some properly funny lists of all the errors though :P

This one’s pretty good too. Not sure if real!

13. YoungZer0

I just came here to say:

HAR HAR HAR!

14. TheWulf

Yup. Blizzard with all their money can’t even afford servers enough to keep their game available to all who’ve bought it for even a moderate amount of time.

The only thing I’m surprised about is that anyone expected this to go down any other way.

15. Patrick Garratt

It’s a lead story if they can’t fix it by tomorrow. It’s such a shame: it’s a brilliant game.

16. Toadnado

Don’t forget:

An error so famous, it got it’s own site.

17. manamana

Always on?!

18. roadkill

I don’t know if I have ever seen such a strong community. The level of s**t that they’re taking from Blizzard is astronomical. Yet they keep taking it.. proudly. Impressive!

19. Teabag

Blizzard has the most loyal fan base ever. I have to admit. This is no small feat.

Because if it was ANY other company, including the Godly and Holy Valve, there would be petitions, complaints, rants, articles on websites, death threats, etc. But it’s Blizzard. Sites like VG247 tells players to STFU and play the game, gamers just keeps on taking the shit without complaint. Oh, in fact, they make memes and websites and have fun. I guess that’s what they can do in the massive downtimes between playing their SINGLE PLAYER game.

It’s amazing. Yes, D3 is a brilliant game. But we just exposed ourselves to fucking hypocrites. I will never ever take anything we ever do to “change” things or “make things right” seriously ever again. This is bullshit.

20. Patrick Garratt

@19 – That was the day after launch. You have to expect it, as we all know. We’re two weeks in now, so I understand why people are flipping out.

By the way, I just logged onto the US servers instantly. Brenna says Asia gave her a 3003.

21. DSB

@19 I’m really not sure that’s loyalty. I’m pretty sure everyone hates the fact that it’s so hard to do something as simple as starting a game, and I don’t think it endears Blizzard to anyone. I expected a lot more than that.

It just seems to me like people are choosing to have fun with it instead of raging. If you look at the Blizzard forums I’m sure you’ll see people doing just that (that’s really the number one function of those forums) but it seems to me like the vast majority are on the side of making lemonade.

I don’t know if people are just being nice or generally mature, but I don’t think it’s loyalty. I do think it is an amazing way of making the best of a shitty situation though.

There’s little about D3 that really lives up to the hype in my opinion, and it certainly does nothing to really bring Blizzard back to the glory days of Warcraft 3 or Starcraft, where they truly moved things forward. It is just a rock solid (bordering on predictable) game with a terrible always online system.

I guess how angry you should be about that varies from person to person. Perhaps an even funnier aspect of all this is that no one seems to hate it more than the people who haven’t played it. That’s exemplified right here on the site :P

@20 Europe seems to be working fine now. I think it was just people scrambling to get online all at once.

22. YoungZer0

@21: I saw this phenomenon on the Rocksteady Forum as well, whenever the only support person would show up and talk about the patch being released pretty soon, everybody was happy, then we’d get news that it’s delayed again, that for 4 months. The mood would switch between “Let’s make fun of this absurd situation.” and “Motherfucker i payed for that piece of shit videogame.

23. xxJPRACERxx

I can’t login either but I don’t cry like a small baby and act like a spoiled child. I’ve got Civ V on the last Steam week-end sales. It’s an excellent game, already spent ~20 hours in it.

There’s 365 days in a year. Please stop crying because you were unable to play your game for more than 48 hours. Try something else, you’ll live.

24. Ireland Michael

Lawl.

25. DSB

@23 Generally when you pay 60 euro for something, you want it to work when you take it home.

That’s not being a baby, that’s common sense. Blizzard made the choice that the operation of the game would depend 100% on their servers, so making sure those servers are ready and able is the very least that you could expect from them.

If you took home a car that didn’t work, and the dealer told you to take your bike instead, I imagine you’d be somewhat underwhelmed by that argument.

I think it’s a good game, but people have every right to be disappointed with the performance at this point. Like Pat said, everyone can understand problems within the first 24 hours, especially for the best selling PC game of all time, but it’s obviously more than just launch jitters.

26. xxJPRACERxx

^ I agree that people paid $60/60eur for it but it’s not like they won’t be able to play ever. People can’t even do something else for a day or two?

Like I said there’s 365 days in a year, 2 days is nothing. Nobody will die because of it.

If I buy a car and there’s a problem with it and every car of the same model got it and the dealer told me it will take 2 days to do the correction and they’re sorry, I have no problem with that. These kind of things can happen and I understand. But it seems some people can’t.

We live in a world (major countries) where we have everything in abundance and have it very easy and some people bitch because they can’t play a game for 2 days… In some countries people don’t even make $60 in a year…

It’s like people bitching because their flight is 15 minutes late. Come on, they’re gonna travel thousand of km in hours in great comfort while 100 years ago the same trip would have take months. Spoiled people.

27. Llewelyn_MT

@26: Thankfully I still don’t have to call the car factory whenever I want to drive my car.

CD Projekt gave each buyer of The Witcher 2 Collector’s Edition a free T-shirt because they didn’t get early access as promised. Where I live this CE (with a lot of extra goodies) didn’t even cost as much as Diablo III.

What did Blizzard gave you for the inability to play the game for over 10% of the time since launch? An apologetic note promising it will be better (while it clearly is not)? How very nice of them…

Bottom line: Don’t buy products broken by DRM. Not only you’ll be unhappy, but the mentally challenged marketing guys will force it down your throat with ever greater frequency.

28. Patrick Garratt

I just logged into the EU servers with no problem.

29. roadkill