Next Guild Wars 2 beta on hold to implement new hardware

Wednesday, 23rd May 2012 19:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ArenaNet has announced weekend beta plans for Guild Wars 2 are on hold until it can implement new hardware. According to a post on the MMO’s Facebook page, new hardware will help cull some of the issues the beat experienced during the stress test. A second beta event will be announced once the the new hardware is in place. Thanks, TenTonHammer.

1. endgame

Meanwhile most copies from most game stores were sold out. :(

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 I know. :( I tired to pick one up over the weekend. I may have to just go to the next town over.

I don’t usually like getting MMOs digitally. Download takes ages, and there always seems to be a corrupt file someplace which means I have to download it again. Physical copies FTW, etc.

3. TheWulf

This makes me happy.

Delay it before release to do it right, that’s always been the policy of ArenaNet. If Blizzard had done that with Diablo III, then no one would have had to suffer Error 37. It just shows that these guys know what they’re doing.

They want as many people playing the beta as possible, so between each beta they’re fixing up as much as possible and not just rushing out half-arsed instances of the game. It’s a real beta test, they get us in, we break things, and they fix it. It’s going to lead to a very, very polished game when it releases. (And the beta was already seriously polished.)

So I don’t mind waiting. I’d rather they get this right rather than have them rush out something so amazingly half-arsed. So many developers have been guilty of that – Blizzard, Bioware, SOE, and so on, and it just gets old. It’s a case of “Ho ho ho, we have their money now, so what does it matter?” and that’s why their games fail so early on.

So yes, colour me happy. Hooray for ArenaNet being smart enough to sort their shit out.

I guess this also makes me happy with NCsoft as they seem to be taking a very hands-off approach. Instead of touting the “Rush this shit out, now!” method, which seems to be so common. It’s that method that caused Bioware to just push TOR out the door when it wasn’t nearly done. (Basic features are still being added in in patches.)

I actually like that ArenaNet say “It’ll be released when it’s done.” and that they’ve stood by that. That fills me with confidence. Yes, I want to play it, but I’m happier knowing that the product will be amazing when it’s released, rather than having to wait a year whilst I do beta testing for them (in the case of some MMOs, paying to beta test).

4. TheWulf

@2 – Leave it on overnight like I did! Their upload servers are actually pretty butch (Valve levels of butch), and it doesn’t appear to be a P2P system like some MMOs use (which can be responsible for slow speeds). Thus I got it in… what, six hours?

5. GrimRita

Have you tried Amazon? I know the UK version has just 10 copies left as of this morning.

I got mine directly from Arena and experienced zero problems and it downloaded very quickly. Just over an hour I think, and for broadband through the phone line (18MB I get) it was fast.

Although this is good news, I just wanna play this and I guess now, June 28th launch was total bull shit…FUCK! lol

6. endgame

“Download takes ages” Not for me they don’t Steph. I’m downling with 5.6/s. :)) And I’m limited at the moment. But I’m happy. :)

@4 “Their upload servers are actually pretty butch (Valve levels of butch)” I disagree. Valve servers are very good. As I said, I’m dling with 5.6/s and I’m limited.

@5 I will not try Amazon because it’s very expensive for me. greenmangaming ftw! \o/ I only need to wait until they get more copies in store.