Star Wars: The Old Republic to host more surprise events

Thursday, 26th April 2012 00:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

BioWare hopes to follow up on the success of Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Rakghoul Plague event, which launched without fanfare to great popularity.

“The Rakghoul plague was a very popular event. You’re going to see more surprises like it in the future,” game director James Ohlen said on Twitter.

The developer is now seeking feedback as to what elements of the event proved most palatable.

The Rakghoul plague was announced in-game via news broadcasts, bypassing the usual PR cycle, which tempted many curious players back to the game to check it out. This is good news for BioWare, which recently admitted that concurrent players are down – but subscriptions are still high.

The latest patch marked the end of the outbreak.

1. Dokken

After playing MMO’s for 15 years 20+ games in all , i have to say besides the server problem and if we look at the game for what it is so young in its life . This have to be the best and most fun game i ever played I have to give them credit for a job well done . I notice many people not enjoying the game for many reason and i notice how people like to try and kill a game just because there FAN BOY game is on the decline HINT HINT WOW :) its ok kids to tell ya the truth we rather not have ya . People that have not tried the game and read the negative stuff people are saying , do yourself a favor and give it a try and judge it for ya self because people are big time haters when there FAN BOY game is declining .

2. Dokken

If half these people who cry about the game played MMO’s for years and seen games like wow in its first year the problems they had and many other top MMO LAFF . Seems how people forget the problems many MMO’s had in its first year .

3. GrimRita

@1 – I think you clearly miss the issues. When WoW arrived, it was new. The way it did things were new. It was the first MMO to really introduce the ‘do fuck all, get rewarded for it’ style of play.

It was the first to introduce PvP shame holes, arenas, amongst other generic experiences as MMOs moved from complex Sandbox to these ‘themeparks’.

SWTOR has been in development for 6 years prior to launch and learnt nothing from previous developers and has been/is making the same kind of mistakes.

Im not a fanboy of WoW – its shit and its a bit rich for someone slating WoW, when they are actually playing a WoW clone albeit with lightsabers.

This game wont ever hit the numbers like WoW because its a stale out of date format. I personally wished that Bioware were a little more bolder in their approach, instead of copying an outdated game mechanic.

4. endgame

/care

5. Talkar

WoW copied from several other MMO’s. Don’t try to glorify it. The questing system, and a lot more from the game was pretty much copy/paste from EQ.
    You can’t deny that the Rakghoul event was really really fun. But i guess you don’t want to comment on something relevant to the news article if it is something positive about this game.

6. GrimRita

Fun? Standing around in your Fleets cantina waiting to others to explode, infect you, explode, infect others, gain DNA, rush to tatooine, complete generic quest, buy goodies from vendor – yeah it was a well thought out event – if you like ‘generic’.

And yes, WoW did copy from other MMOs but also added many new things to the genre, which has resulted in the MMO genre being an extremely stale experience.

Talkar, the fact EA wont even talk numbers, have given almost everyone an extra free 30 days of play, dozens of ‘free trial’ weekends, ‘invite a friend’ weekends and now, a rushed expansion in to other parts of Europe in a desperate attempt to proof that their MMO isnt the hit they wanted.

Hell, even these ‘in game events’ are dull. This is Star Wars. But without the ‘war’ part. They should just rename it to Star Sims. A better in game event would have been to actually develop the setting this game has limped into – a fragmented peace and drive this forward but after playing the annoying new Warzone…whoops, War SIMULATION clealry shows that Bioware dont want any kind of War in the stars

7. Talkar

I didn’t stand around on the fleet at any point. I was to busy you know, taking part in the event. If you decided to stand around on the fleet that was your choice and you made it boring yourself.
    EA has said new numbers are coming on may 7th and those numbers will be from before the free 30 days so relax dude.

8. GrimRita

Well then the 100 people on our fleet..yes thats all, were all standing around, most of us waiting to do the warzones and we all became bored playing the SAME faction over and over.

Like I said, this is supposed to be STAR WARS, not fucking Rakghoul bull shit but hey, it was the first event this turd has had since launch. If you give a starving man a cracker, he will throughly enjoy eating it. Then after a short time, will wake up to discover its just a plain old cracker…much like this plain old generic event.

9. Talkar

And yet. You still play it…

10. GrimRita

Erm no. I returned because they gave me 7 days as someone who cancelled. I wanted to see if they improved things. Apart from the late arrival of the customised UI, the rest was more or less the same – shit.

11. Talkar

You still played.

12. GrimRita

Grow up. Try and read what I said in #10 -

13. Talkar

” I returned”
    Yup, you admitted to playing.

14. viralshag

I resubbed, figured it was a good deal to get 2 months for the price of one with the Legacy deal. I probably won’t play it much as Prototype 2 is here.

I would like to try and finish the Agent story though. Lost interest in the Warrior story.

15. Talkar

The warrior story does get a bit boring when you come to chapter 3 :/ IMO The Inquisitor and the BH are the 2 best stories of the three :P

16. viralshag

I’m quite bored of it and I’m not even off DK, he’s good in PvP though. The agent story starts off well and from what I have played of the BH that’s pretty good too.

17. Talkar

The agent story gets really interesting once you get to chapter two (ie after lvl 30).

18. viralshag

The only thing that is currently holding me back is that my only level 50 is a smuggler and I don’t really want to play through as another stealth class but the sniper tree doesn’t really do anything for me.

19. Talkar

I have a bit of the same problem. My first lvl 50 is a Sith Warrior. And i’m currently leveling a Jedi Knight to 50, which is as you may know the mirror class on the rep side. I’m using the “marauder” build this time though, which does change it into pretty much another class. But at the end of the day, it still feels a lot like my warrior :/
    Btw, how is the smuggler story once you get into it? My smuggler is just finishing up chapter 1 :P

20. viralshag

My mate played a Knight and loved it all the way though, I found it to be a bit too much of a predictable Jedi story line. I have started one but I’m playing it dark side to mix it up a bit.

The smuggler story is pretty good actually, I would say it’s one of the most entertaining in terms of comedic quality. It had a few moments that genuinely made me lol.

My problem with the warrior/knight having played a bit of both is that the two class trees do feel very similar as they are pretty much a full on melee class whereas most of the other classes have a good distinction between the two choices with stealth and healing thrown in.

21. Dokken

i think some people are missing the point ! you can sit here and find things wrong with all MMO even the ones that have been out for years . Damn cry babys .

22. Dokken

Btw Grimrita SWTOR passed wow at the same point in game life , WRONG AGAIN :) some of things you say might be true but people dont care about many points you make . This game will dwarf many games for years realize it my friend and stop crying