“You’re going to experience more Desmond than ever before,” in AC3 says Ubisoft

Tuesday, 3rd April 2012 17:46 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ubisoft has said Desmond’s story is far from over in Assassin’s Creed, as in the third installment of the series, players are going to “experience more” of Desmond’s story “than [they] ever have before.”

Speaking with CVG during a preview event in London, lead writer Matt Turner said the game will be spending more time on “the present” as well with AC3.

“All I can say about Desmond’s story is you’re going to experience more Desmond than you’ve ever had before,” he said. “We’re spending more time on the present than we have in past games.

“It’s a big part of our story and I don’t really want to give too many details away because I want people to experience what that is. But rest assured, you’re going to see a lot of Desmond.

“More so than in any past game.”

Turner goes on to say it was a lot “harder” to write the story for the latest installment in the series, as the Revolutionary time period has been “very well documented,” so the team had to really “pay attention to it.”

Assassin’s Creed 3 is out in October on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. deadstoned

Shit…..

2. back_up

AC series rocks

3. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Even though Desmond is the most boring videogame character of this generation?

I mean, you’d have to actually sit down with an actual brief to create something less interesting. Perhaps after weeks of deliberation, a crack team of Ubisoft designers might come up with a grey circle on a concrete step, and that might – MIGHT – be more dull than Desmond Miles. Just.

Surely Ubi’s famed focus group approach to game design has already told them this?

4. Giskard

Finally we get to experience the least interesting aspect of the game. What a brilliant idea. Surely this will draw in millions upon millions of new fans, just waiting to die of boredom listening to the most bland protagonist ever.

Just let me climb around in New York / Boston in the 17th / 18th century, and I’ll buy it. Screw Desmond.

5. DSB

deadstoned and Giskard said it. Really, fuck Desmond and his asinine crew of nobodies.

You have to be a special (as in “special”) kind of writer to take a historical assassin hurling himself across the rooftops of magnificent old cities going through exciting, turbulent times, meticulously killing his way through their most powerful leaders for a dayjob, and then base that all on some numb nuts pizza delivery guy from New York who merely goes there to look at him… through his genes.

Because that really adds to it.

The fact that he delivers pizzas is really the most redeeming thing you can say about him. I love pizzas, I don’t love looking at confused doe-eyed idiots when I could be stabbing my way through ancient aristocracy.

Historical assassination. Yes, let me do that.

Experience idiot pizzaboy. No, don’t want.

*edit* Bartender. Either way, he’s Fry, except not nearly as interesting, or intelligent.

6. deadstoned

I do love Assassins Creed, I just hate Desmond. Hes never has been interesting and his levels always feel like a chore :( .

7. DSB

Yeah, beyond that it’s just a bit of a B-movie (with the whole templar tripe) but critically it has way too much filler. At least 10 hours of Assassins Creed II was old hat.

They should learn from Arkham City. Also a B-movie (except it’s supposed to be) but vastly better when it comes to pacing.

8. ManuOtaku

All of you are DOUBTERS,UNBELIEVERS…. really dull characters did spice things up and make great some of the most important sequels in other mediums , like…like…. jar jar binks…yeah like jar jar…… >_> , <_< oh darn you are right..nevermind go on with the desmond rant

9. Samuel

I’m going to be the odd man out here and say, good! Not about Desmond specifically, but about getting a lot more of the present day storyline, which I think is a really unique and interesting part of this series. I’ve been much more interested in that story than anything going on in the historical time periods.

10. Gheritt White

Personally speaking, I genuinely *love* the Desmond and modern day story sections – I actively look forward to those parts fo the games. I thought the Despond sections in AC:B were some of the best parts of that game overall, full stop.

I love the triple-layered plot of the AC series and Desmond is a huge part of that – he’s the meta-narrative that ties all the games together and I’m fully invested in his journey.

Just saying…

11. Giskard

They show so little of that story with each game, that I’ve almost stopped caring about the meta-storyline. Seriously. Between AC:2 and AC:R we got like, what, 10-15 minutes worth of story or something?

Screw that. Stick with historical fiction. I yet want them to make a game in pre-communist Russia. I’d kill (in game :p) to climb the Kreml and survey Moscow.

12. DSB

@11 One of the reasons why I hate it is because it actually hurts the 90% of the game that matters.

The whole interface belongs on some hip drum machine at a rave, not in the renaissance. It just waters down the whole experience.

Why mix ancient architechture with techno crap?

It really screws with the most superficial elements of suspension of disbelief. It doesn’t do anything except to undermine the whole setting. You kill a guy, and instead of triggering an actual reaction, you’re rewarded by the whole world coming apart in white squares and literally ripping you out of the moment. It’s anti-climax by design.

All for the sake of those 15-20 minutes of useless story starring a gallery of people with no personality or relevance to what you’re actually doing 90% of the game.

13. Erthazus

Agree with DSB on everything.

14. Gheritt White

@ DSB: Too busy to come up with a sensible/intelligent response, so I’ll just say that not only are you wrong, but you’re gay too.

(If you happen to be gay, please replace that word with “like Twilight”).

15. Malmer

YAY!

16. Brenna Hillier

As long as they’re not talking about more of the … unfortunate … first-person sections in AC: Revelations.

I enjoy Desmond’s playable parts, because it’s the only time the overall plot moves forward. But I understand some of you suffer ADHD when you can’t stab something for a full thirty seconds.

17. DSB

@14 Fair enough.

@16 It’s not so much the lack of stabbing so much as the lack of doing absolutely anything except walking up to objects (I feel like the supporting characters qualify as objects too) and pressing A.

Although obviously, if you can add stabbing, you should add stabbing. It would certainly spare me suffering those fools through more than the first cutscene :P

18. Gheritt White

If Brenna likes it, it must be good, FACT. #brennafan4life

[/procrastinating]

19. TheWulf

“Why mix ancient architechture with techno crap?”

Hrmn. ‘Techno crap?’ Do you hate everything unusual, DSB?

Anyway, to the point… Why?

Because the anachronism is actually interesting and gives Assassin’s Creed a lot of flavour and visual character that otherwise it wouldn’t have. I’m completely for that.

“It’s anti-climax by design.”

Maybe it is. Not everything has to be racecarsexplosionsexKABOOM, you know? Maybe I’m preaching to the anti-choir, here, so this won’t have much of an impact… but sometimes an anticlimactic element can work as well or better than some climactic explosion of drama and special effects. Sometimes it can even work better than that.

It detaches you from what’s just happened because it’s inviting you to actually think about what’s going on in interesting ways. To actually sit and listen for a while rather than getting swept up in a never-ending river of special effects.

Sometimes it’s nice to just slow down for a bit. To be honest, I think that that aforementioned river is a cancer in our entertainment. Something that takes a more laid back approach is welcome, in my opinion. And really, since when has Assassin’s Creed ever seemed like it’s about explosive climaxes, anyway?

I always believed that the fact that it isn’t was part of the appeal.

“Agree with DSB on everything.”

Ooooh… dangerous sentiment.

Basically saying that you can’t think for yourself and you have DSB do that for you. Good going, I suppose, if that’s what you want.

I don’t agree with anyone 100 per cent on everything.

@Brenna

Hahahahaha.

Well played. Well played.

20. TheWulf

And now I feel oddly dirty talking about explosive climaxes.

I wonder if there’s something deeply sexual linked into the desire for unending violence? Hmn.

21. DSB

Hrmn. ‘Techno crap?’ Do you hate everything unusual, DSB?

Techno crap is unusual? I’d say it’s about as fashionable as you can get.

The daring thing would be making a game that actually seeks to own its own world without constantly having to anchor itself in something relatable and contemporary. It’s all about being safe and unoffensive.

The first game is the best example. Instead of having a muslim assassin who’s targeting religious figures and crusaders to serve his guilds agenda, you get a time travelling New York bartender who’s really just harmlessly spectating while his declawed ancestor tries to save the world from the ultra-baddies.

Going the Dan Brown route isn’t unusual by any stretch of the imagination. That’s tripe. The fact that the game starts with an excuse for itself should tell you something about the level of ambition, or lack of same.

No, it really isn’t. I don’t know if you’ve played the game, but what happens is he says a few words to the guy he just killed and then the entire thing disintegrates in a garish visual effect. Something like the metrosexual version of Tron.

“racecarsexplosionsexKABOOM” is cute and all, but the fact that you can only see one or the other speaks solely to your own limitations. I’d say something like an assassination would be a pretty good opportunity to drive the story, rather than shut it down, like the designers choose to do.

I’m sure you can choose to read too much into the visual effect we get instead and use those precious 5 seconds of poorly disguised loading screen to really think some big thoughts about life and death, but that’s something you’re putting into it, not the developers.

22. The_Red

Wow, at first I thought you were going to defend Desmond but now… I must be in a one person minority here because I actually LIKED the first person puzzler parts of Revelations…

I know, crazy. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE who I’ve talked to has hated them but to me, they were rather interesting. They were the only parts that gave true back story about Desmond, his childhood, his feeling and some of his inner thoughts. Of course they were a bit pretentious or lame here and there but still, it gave me a better understanding of Desmond.

23. Giskard

@16 I don’t even remotely care that I don’t stab things as Desmond. I can run around parkouring as Ezio for hours without a single care in the world. The problem is that the Desmond story line is so awfully meta, and not part of the game AT ALL until the last 5 minutes of a 20-30 hour game.

It’s like watching Lord of the Rings, and then the last 5 minutes of the last movie, you see Frodo wake up in the suburbs, having dreamed it all.

24. YoungZer0

The whole presentation of the Desmond story is the reason why i completely stopped caring about the games story. I don’t know who patient whatever is, what he did previously and why i should give a fuck. I just stopped caring the moment i had to stand in a room and look at the wall, while listening to some dialog between two characters.

25. vicrysty

An idea stupid and boring to play with Desmond, I hope not too much (a big waste of time).
    I was wondering how they’re going to see him and Desmond boring.
    The bad news about Assassin’s Creed III, I hope to drop that idea.