Rumour: PlayStation 4 codenamed Orbis, out holiday ’13

Wednesday, 28th March 2012 15:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Kotaku‘s rumouring this afternoon the next PlayStation is codenamed Orbis, will combat used games in some form and is being planned for a holiday 2013 launch.

The report claims the Orbis codename is Latin for circle or ring. Combine that with the Latin meaning of Vita, it could mean circle of life. Rumored sketches of certain features rumored to be in the next PlayStation, titled “Illustrations & Sketches for new PlayStation Orbis features” were posted earlier by design firm Coque Design, but have since been removed, according to Kotaku.

Anyways, the Kotaku story carries the URL orbis.scedevnet.com. While it doesn’t point towards any next-gen PlayStation portions of the site, it does link to the site regardless, meaning there’s at least a tiny bit of weight to it at least.

It also suggests that Sony is set to not feature PS3 backwards compatibility for the system right out from the box, compared to when PS2 BC was dropped from PS3 around 2009 when Slim launched.

Its hardware specs will consist of an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU, with the ability to show games at a resolution of 4096×2160. This backs up a previous Forbes report. It’ll also be able to display 3D games at 1080p. The PS3 is only able to do it at 720p.

Revised dev kits were sent out earlier this month around GDC, with finalised units due by the end of this year.

Orbis will also have an anti-used games measure in the same way the next Xbox is supposed to, with Kotaku suggesting games will be made available in two ways: Blu-ray or download. The Blu-ray title will then be locked to the PSN tied to the game you played it on. A title will also be able to be downloaded onto the HDD from the BR and be available as a download if you wish to grab it in the future.

Those who pick up Orbis titles second-hand will likely be restricted in some form to a trial or limited content, with the user having to pay a fee for an unlock for the game.

It was rumoured last year that unnamed first-party studios had already gotten its hands on development kits for the system, with an announcement for the system due at E3 this June. Sony debunked the latter rumour at CES in January.

It’s also rumoured the next PlayStation wouldn’t carry the Cell processor that powers PS3.

1. Christopher Jack

I could believe the date. The lowest possible GPU in the series from the rumour is quite capable & the rumour claims that it’ll be able to display up to a 4096×2160 resolution, that’s 4 times the size of 1920×1080. I personally find this to be the first believable rumour of the PS4. Although the news of ditching PS3 support, while believable, is saddening, there was such a little chance of them reusing the cell just for hardware emulation of PS3 games & software emulation will prove to be quite the challenge.

2. a7md1990

To all rumour makers: Eat my shit!

3. StolenGlory

ItOnlyDoesn’tPlayPS3Games.

4. DSB

My bullshit sense is tingling. Actually, it’s violently jerking me from side to side.

5. StolenGlory

Yeah, pretty much my feelings.

Pick your salt shaker and dispense over the appropriate shoulder and continue with your day :)

6. Erthazus

“at a resolution of 4096×2160″

Finally.

1080p is already outdated. I play on my PC only using 2560 x 1440 resolution and i’m not coming back to 1080p anymore.

720p is the thing of the past and 1080p is already old since 2009 and it’s horrible compared to higher resolutions.

Bring the next gen guys. It’s time to move on and get the party started!

7. Razor

*shrugs* I can believe this… or at least believe that Sony would like to do this.

8. Erthazus

Southern Islands GPU family is interesting. It’s PCI Express 3.0 stuff so it’s good. Probably it will be a 8000 series stuff, so Samaritan demo will be 30 frames per second without any problem.

It’s much better than what Sony did with PS3 anyway. Gosh…

9. DarkElfa

@2, seconded.

10. Gekidami

Rumour or not, at least theres mention of it having physical media support.

11. Erthazus

http://orbis.scedev.net/ – this thing exist. :D It’s real, at least it’s Code Name.

I need Uncharted 4 with 4K video resolution and with Fuckton of Anti-aliasing and other stuff at launch.
    and i’l buy it for sure.

12. Dark

If MS and Sony use this anti used games system at the same time , then that mean it was pressure from publishers.

13. G1GAHURTZ

Lies.

14. Gheritt White

@ 12: Sony and Microsoft *are* publishers!

15. Dark

@14 yeah i know that but still , i’m sure EA and the other publishers have something to do with this!

16. Rain

It’s interesting. absolutely Resolutionary !
    but still 4096×2160 is a hell lot. That’s 8.8 million pixels if I’m not wrong and regarding the backwards compatibility it is no problem to me. I think it is time Pat sends a bunch of undercover guys inside Sony to deliver pics of the dev kit,am I right?

17. Erthazus

“but still 4096×2160 is a hell lot. ”

It’s the next gen. It’s 4K video. It’s the next FULL HD thing. You can actually see that resolution in youtube videos.

This time Sony will use blu-ray to it’s full potential.

18. Rain

“This time Sony will use blu-ray to it’s full potential”
    Will the space on the blu-ray be enough?

19. Erthazus

@18, of course. There are Blu rays even with 100GB space in development right now.

4K: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0m1XmvBey8

Sexy.

20. OlderGamer

How many tvs will support that level of rez? And how many average everyday gamers will have tvs that do? Sorry but it kind of sounds like 3D all over again. Its neat, but not exactly mass market/crit mass.

No way most people buy an uber tv just for ps4.

21. Rain

#19

22. Rain

#20
    To some degree I agree but it is just a matter of time before a sufficient number of people have those TVs.

23. Erthazus

@20, it’s going to be again the times like when people had SD TV’s and later they bought HD TV’s.

That’s it.

@21, “So we can have such a resolution and extremely detailed and lifelike animations,texture,lighting effects and etc?”

Oh yeah, you can expect all that goodness at minimum. :D

24. Maximum Payne

Just because it will suport 4k resolution doesn’t mean it will have for standard.Ps3 support 1080p but lot games are sub 720p for example.

25. ejams

It might be able to support that resolution but won’t it most likely just use 1080p as standard like the PS3 with 720p for most games? They might have it there, but it won’t really get used until 4K TV’s become affordable like when HD TV’s did. They just have it there because they know that if they want to continue with their 10 year life span for systems, it’s gonna have to support until 2023 or so, and they’re preparing for the future. ANYWAYS, this really whets my whistle, I can’t wait for a new playstation!! :D As for the used games thing, I really only buy games new anyways since used games are only $5 cheaper. I do borrow games, but not enough to warrant any worry. I can see how it’s an issue for others though.

EDIT: #24 you posted at the exact same time as me :p But yea it’s a good point

26. Rain

#23
    Nice!

27. misieque

Anti-used games measure my ass. Where there is a will, there is a way my “Phony Polystation” friends.

28. Da Man

Nerd virgin alert.

29. Gekidami

^ Your username is clearly written at the side, you dont need to alert us when you post somewhere.

30. Da Man

Okay I apologize, I didn’t know Erthazus wasn’t really the only one around here.

31. osric90

Fake. If true, going back to PC gaming. Nothing to do here.

32. Ireland Michael

People are believing this? This is clearly bullshit. Anti-used game restrictions like that wouldn’t even be legal.

33. ManuOtaku

To tell you the truth iam worried by this news, especially in how much this will cost, on the console per-se and the games, if they need bigger physical formats to cope with this capacity the prices of the games will go up for sure too, alongside the console itself.

I just want if they go with the route of being on par with the PC as it is right now, anything more than that, it will cost a lot IMHO, i hope is not true, for neither of them (sony/microsoft)

34. Aimless

@32 You should probably inform Valve: the implementation Kotaku outlines is essentially a slightly less restrictive version of Steamworks.

I can’t see them going above 1080p for games, the bump in fidelity would be pretty negligible for considerably more strain on the hardware. 4K Blu-ray support makes sense as a back of the box feature, though.

The codename is the only part of this I’m really buying, though.

35. Sini

lol @ people who think next gen will have AAA games running at 4096×2160. Maybe some little psn game, pong revival.

1080p at 60 frames with ultra textures already borders on lala land.

36. Christopher Jack

@35, No one expects to run Crysis 3 at that resolution @60fps, but I could imagine smaller games supporting it.

37. Erthazus

@35, and no one expects PS4 or something to run games in 4K because if they are going to use Northen Islands no fucking way games can be used for 4K for the next gen games.

What that means that PC’s will start using that resolution in the future. That’s the whole point.

and i want to run my games using 4K resolution in the future. I already play my games on 2560 x 1440 resolution and they are much better than in 1080p.

Have you seen Witcher II in 2560 x 1440? That’s just incredible. Incredible i say. For me 1080p is not enough. Once you play on the better resolution you can’t play below it. I rarely use my Ps3 now because 720p is outdated right now and for me it’s just meh.

I would imagine if Uncharted games had support with higher res than 1080p.

PS4 or Orbis, whatever, is probably going to support 1080p at best with 30 frames per second on most games. If it’s going to support below that… i’m going to be surprised.
    1080p is enough for Call of Duty and Halo fratboys anyway.

But Northern Islands and good Current Gen CPU should do the trick. It’s a much better solution than what Sony did with Cell and Nvidia last gen GPU spending a ton of money for nothing.

PS3 is a horrible system in everything. It’s the worst pile of shit this generation. From all technology manufacturers that make electronic devices, this thing survived because Playstation was slapped on to it.

Imagine if Panasonic or someone new from tech company could introduce the disaster as Sony’s 2006 machine. It would die a horrible death after 3 months.

This time, Sony can’t afford the same situation with PS3. They are dead last. They are in third place spending much more money on consoles than Microsoft and Nintendo.
    Microsoft and Nintendo this gen increased their market share for 100%-300% while Sony lost a ton of consumers.

PS2: ~154.4 million sold worldwide
    PS3: 62 million worldwide and that’s current gen when they still can sell console making new games.

PS3 is a failure for Sony and they know it. They know that they are last in position. Hell, they know that they are last in position in every possible market they are in. That’s not how you do a business.

38. Da Man

Nerd virgin confirmed.

39. OlderGamer

I run a lot of my PC games at 720p. I do it on purpose. The reason is simple, I can see the words. The flip side to higher res is often the fonts/details and what not gets smaller. I play my PC in my living room, on a 42inch hdtv. And I have it set to 720p.

I don’t care what res I have. or what tech powers the system/games. I care about enjoying the games themself. All of the benchmarks of this or that don’t actualy change the game one bit. Talk about graphics whoring. I mean really guys. Do you honestly believe that 4k res is going to be a selling point?

(for more then just website gaming elitests)?

And it isn’t going to be like going from sd to hd. The amount of content that will support something like 4k is going to be so negligable. I doubt most people will care anyways. All stuff like that will do is drive up costs.

Likly right now the buzz is used for just that buzz. 3 years from now when billy joe bob gamer dude goes to his local walmart or gamestop he won’t be buying his system because of 4k benchmarks. Or most any other nerd rage inducing techie points that could be brought up. He/she is going to bring home an Orbis(or whatever) because of the games they can enjoy.

40. Gekidami

Seems there might be some truth to this;

41. El_MUERkO

4k on a single Southern Islands GPU, I dont think so, you need a 7990 to get good FPS on BF3 at max settings 2560×1600, there’s a hell of a lot more pixels in a 4k image.

42. Gigabomber

All of this is irrelevant to me as the specs will be the specs. All I want is a usable controller. At this point, if they pat themselves on the back and drag another version of the dualshock out I won’t buy the system for that reason alone, let alone the miserable failures they’ve had with the PS3 that I’ve been able to ignore since I broke down and bought the 360.