Diablo III console “a true Blizzard-level experience,” says COO Sams

Monday, 26th March 2012 14:40 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Diablo III on consoles will feature “a true Blizzard-level experience,” company COO Paul Sams has told CVG.

Blizzard has yet to actually announce the console version besides that it’s exploring the avenue. But Sams said, provided the console version does get the formal green-light, it would not let up on the experience it would give.

“We think that the way we built it for the PC may need some tweaking, but it will ultimately be the type of game that can really make sense and be really fun, well polished and a true Blizzard-level experience on a console,” he said.

“We get a lot of questions about why we haven’t made a game for consoles before and I tell them the same thing I tell them about business models: we don’t let business models or platforms drive our decisions. Those are secondary to what’s the most important aspect for us which is the gameplay.

“We have to make sure the game is great and it’s something that everyone wants to play. If we provide a great game, a great experience, the business model – if we’re being fair with you – will work.”

Diablo III will release on PC worldwide on May 14.

1. mtnman3888

I wish they would just go ahead and make a formal announcement. Anyways, I’m super excited for this on consoles, can’t wait!

2. StolenGlory

Blizzard are playing it right.

A nice bit of foreplay before the main event.

Sounds sensible :)

3. freedoms_stain

@2, dunno about you but I don’t really like it when foreplay goes on too long. I generally like to measure the duration in minutes as opposed to Blizzard’s favoured years.

4. StolenGlory

Ha! Touche’ ;)

5. Hcw87

Release date is May 15, not 14th, isn’t it?

6. StolenGlory

15th yup.

7. DSB

We should totally get together on Battle.Net. Click some stuff to death.

8. OrbitMonkey

Why do I need this, when I have Amalur?

9. Erthazus

My first character will be Wizard. Can’t wait to try it and be disappointed in the end.

I hope not.

10. StolenGlory

Agreed. I’d be up for it.

11. treborr

Barbarian at your services.

12. viralshag

@7, I have no idea what class I would be… utility player here!

Was there any confirmation on using a pad with the PC version?

13. Erthazus

@12, “Was there any confirmation on using a pad with the PC version?”

Of course not.

14. Maximum Payne

Witch Doctor for me.
    God knows how many times I played as Necromancer in D2 :D

15. Erthazus

@14, me too. Necromancer was my favourite class. I’m so disappointed that this class is not included in the game.

Although Witch Doctor is something close to that class, but i’m just not the fan of his looks.

I think we will see Necromancer with the new Add-on :D

16. StolenGlory

What do you mean ‘Of course not’.

Blizzard have said that the game controls better with a pad, so it only makes sense that they would consider support; if only at a post-launch level when the dust clears a little regarding the console version:

17. DSB

All RPGs should have necromancers, but the witch doctor isn’t to be trifled with. He does come off as a bit of a junkie though :P

It looks to me like they kept classes to a minimum so they could flesh them out as much as possible. It feels to me like the energy went into the spells and giving those classes their own personality.

It’s definitely going to be a different Diablo, but it could well be all the better for it.

18. themadjock

@7 Sounds like a plan. I’ve played through Act 1 in the Beta after winning a key from CVG several times and am favouring either Barbarian or witch doctor from my first play through. I like all the classes but the demon hunter the least.

The game is going to rock, Blizzard do frustrate me with their long devleopment times though some of us aren’t getting any younger… :(

19. Gheritt White

@ #7: Monk here – really can’t wait to try out that class, it seem the newest to the series by far.

Also, IN YOUR FACE, ERTHAZUS!

20. Mystic Sage

I pray they make a formal announcement for releasing this on consoles I would really love to play this game.

21. Erthazus

@16, Actually judging by the beta there is no pad support.
    There should be no pad support.

If you make a game for console or PC it’s a completely different culture.

“Blizzard have said that the game controls better with a pad, so it only makes sense that they would consider support;”

So this message pleased console fanboys, i see?

I don’t know about that, but i play Diablo since 96 and i can’t see how it is better with a pad.
    Hell, there is a PS1 version of Diablo 1 and it’s nowhere near the PC version control scheme because mouse is very important for precision.

there are some skills that involve precision.

22. ManuOtaku

#20 +1

23. StolenGlory

” Actually judging by the beta there is no pad support.
    There should be no pad support.”

Just because it isn’t in the beta, doesn’t mean it won’t be patched later on. It likely will.

“If Blizzard will say that pad is better for Starcraft II you will believe it too?”.

Oh you.

24. DSB

@23 There’s no reason why they couldn’t, but the interface for consoles will likely need tweaking if not a seperate design.

There aren’t a lot of buttons compared to your average PC game, and you can really do a lot of it with just a mouse and two buttons, but beyond the primary and secondary attacks, there are still more than you can accomodate on a pad.

25. StolenGlory

Disregarding the buttons entirely, the main reason why it appeals to me is down to the analogue movement provided by the thumb-stick.

26. viralshag

@25, Spot on. Torchlight, albeit not as “hardcore” as Diablo, played really well with a pad.

I haven’t played D3 yet but how many skills would you have available on the go?

A pad could easily accommodate 9 action bar buttons or 7 if two are used as left/right mouse clicks. Leaving one as an “action” button, two bumpers for whatever you need plus 4 D-pad buttons for other uses.

I would need to play the game to get a better understanding for D3 but as I said, basing it on Torchlight it would be far from impossible.

27. Erthazus

@viralshag, it’s not a question about how much action bar buttons it will use, it’s a question about certain abilities that require mouse precision and how fast you can use your abilities in certain situations.

Good example: Witch doctor

That class have the ability to throw bottle with explosive thingy (Spell: Firebomb) and it requires you to point in the right direction for “effective damage”. I’m sure that blizzard is testing and working with Diablo III for consoles and they work something around that feature specifically for consoles but i can assure you that Diablo III that is designed for PC (for now!) is not the best way to play with the controller in my opinion.

It’s not a question about hardcore.

28. viralshag

@Erth, From all the vids I’ve seen I would not say I have seen anything that truly requires that much accuracy.

The bottom line is I’m obviously not the only person that thinks this game could be played with a pad and still be fun, considering Blizz have even said it themselves.

You can talk about accuracy being essential for this game but I simply don’t believe that. It won’t be essential, it will be a bonus, just like comfortably moving around with a pad would be a bonus.

29. Erthazus

@28, it’s not a bonus. It’s a serious Game mechanic that results in significant damage and class strategy. Not only that, it’s important for Multiplayer where Witch Doctor not only uses Firebomb, but “Mass Confusion” which requires again, accuracy to use the spell in the right place which is possible only with a mouse. Because you can spawn that thing where your cursor stands.

you think mouse controls for Diablo games that were developed specifically for the PC by Blizzard is just a cheap talk?

Play Diablo III on the PC first of all and than we can talk.

“The bottom line is I’m obviously not the only person that thinks this game could be played with a pad”

Any game can be played with a pad, even Starcraft II or Total War or simulation FPS game like ARMA, but that does not mean that it will work.

30. viralshag

@29, “Any game can be played with a pad, even Starcraft II or Total War or simulation FPS game like ARMA, does not mean that it will work.”

That is totally irrelevant. Because we’re not talking about RTS games here, we’re talking about a genre which has already had other games with pad control… That, amazingly, work absolutely fine with the control input.

You can bang on about SC2 all you want but it’s totally pointless given that they are completely different games.

“you think mouse controls for Diablo games that were developed specifically for the system is just a cheap talk?”

I have no idea what this is even supposed to mean?