Rumor: Bethesda to announce Prey 2 canning next week

Friday, 23rd March 2012 20:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Take this for what it is at the moment (a massive rumor) but Bethesda will apparently announce Prey 2′s cancellation next week.

According to PS Focus, a “reliable source” has said the Human Head Studios title has been cancelled, which explains the lack of new information on the game since it was announced, as well as three planned conferences which were also cancelled over last few months.

The site said an official announcement on the game’s cancellation will be released by Bethesda next week.

When asked for comment, Bethesda told us it doesn’t “comment on rumors,” while a spokesperson for the firm told VideogameWriters: “Thanks for reaching out. We aren’t commenting on this story.”

Announced in March 2011, the game’s slated for release on PC and consoles this year.

Thanks, Colin.

1. LOLshock94

NIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

2. LOLshock94

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

3. ItsFade

The fuck Bethesda, hope it’s not be true. Game looks awesome.

4. LOLshock94

is there anyway someone can buy the rights like square did for true crime, hopefully someone buys the rights of cocksuckerthesda

5. Mystic Sage

They better not cancel this game it looked like it was going to be amazing I was really looking forward to this one.

6. Sam Clay

Woah. That wouldn’t be cool.

7. Talkar

TBH, after Fallout 3, i’ve lowered my expectations for what Bethesda are capable of delivering. But if they actually cancelled this project, i think they’ve reached a low i didn’t even know existed o.O

8. Gizkata

FUCK :|

9. pennyman

man Prey 2 looked great when we saw it last year – here’s our preview

10. NeoSquall

what the flying FUCK?

11. Colin Gallacher

Just passing on what I’ve heard. I hope it isn’t.

12. Stephany Nunneley

I’m pretty much off the clock now, but I will be checking my inbox for any response on the matter into the evening. I will update the post if I get word back.

13. Takeshi

Well, not my most anticipated game of 2012, but I did like the preview of it. Sad if true.

14. Erthazus

What the fuss is about?

Prey 1 was not a good game. Prey 2 trailers were cool, but that does not say anything that it will be a good product in the end.

15. The_Red

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUCK.

This HAS to be April’s Fool. It HAS to be. Otherwise, it shows Bethesda has completely gone insane and cancelled a seriously promising title. For fuck’s sake, this was one of the best games during an E3 that had BioShock Infinite, Batman Arkham City, Skyrim and Tomb Raider. WTF!?

April’s Fools or FUCK Bethesda.

16. AHA-Lambda

what?! But WHY?! It looked awesome! ;_;

17. Pytox

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I hope this is not true, I liked the gameplay footage they previewed very much

18. Garo

What!?! Game already on my wishlist!!

19. mickey2002

These sort of rumors normally do lead to something thou :/ looked decent too.

20. Talyis

Wow wtf seriously, it looked to be the most intriguing fps in a long time I mean come on a space bounty hunter friggin badass!

21. Edo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s please I beg you Bethesda tell us this is not true!!!!!!!!

22. Phoenixblight

I have yet to see any actual gameplay saw screenshots and trailers but no actual gameplay. Bathesda had put a lot of money into marketing though even gave money to Blur who doesn’t do trailers for cheap.

I would say that the developers couldn’t deliever what was promised and Bathesda had to cut the leash.

23. fearmonkey

I haven’t seen much in the way of actual gameplay on this and was wondering how the game was panning out. I loved the first Prey by Human head and was disappointed when they weren’t continuing the story of the original main character. Prey 2 seemed so different than the original, I couldn’t understand their design choice.
    I was hoping to get the chance to play it and see if they could make those ambitious ideas work.

24. _LarZen_

The game looks like crap so no loss if it gets cancelled…

25. Moonwalker1982

Bethesda’s ‘no comment’ should say enough sadly :(

26. TheWulf

@14 (Erthazus)

Whilst it may not have been some ‘super epic’ or whatever the kids are saying these days, it was interesting. In fact, if I put it in the context of a shooter, it was genuinely interesting for many reasons. I’d say the same about Bulletstorm.

But then, I have weird tastes.

Sometimes I want to be the native american who’s romping around an alien-manufactured human farm, and using strange spiritual powers to stay alive. It’s more involving than being Man in Military Uniform A shooting Man in Military Uniform B, that’s for sure.

I suppose it just comes down to tastes, and what you’re looking for. An unusual concept can carry a game in my opinion. I’d go so far as to say that an unusual concept, if it’s a really good one, can carry a game and make it far more memorable than the polished dross we often get.

So whilst it might not have been the most ‘super epic’ game ever, it was–to say it again–interesting.

It needed to exist.

And, to be honest, based on the trailers for Prey 2 … I really hope that that exists as well.

Why?

Because Samurai Jack, because Farscape, because Titan A.E., and to a lesser extent because Voyager, because Andromeda, because Anachronox, hell… because Toonstruck.

There are too few examples of taking a human completely out of their element and putting them in a situation so bizarre that it becomes hard for them to even find their way, and they just do whatever they can to survive. That’s what Crichton did in Farscape, and what Jack did in his cartoon. It’s an interesting situation.

What would you do in a completely alien, futuristic world?” is admittedly a question better answered with an RPG, but even a shooter could at least do bring something out of the left field with it, thanks to a concept like that.

I’m not sure whether it’s an alien occupied earth they’re showing in the trailer, or just some human guy out there in the vastness of the Universe, but it’s still a fun concept to play with no matter how you look at it. In the trailer we see he’s trying to make ends meet by becoming a bounty hunter. What more is there to that story?

I want to see that story told.

27. TheWulf

@23 (fearmonkey)

If you watch the intro with the plane crash, you can see what they’re doing with it. It’s in the same Universe and it’s a continuation. It’s just from a different perspective.

28. LOLshock94

@26 agreed, though i hated bulletstorm and prey 1 but prey 2 just looks awesome

29. voxelman

Let me guess this is the same source that said that Doom 4 was cancelled, which turned out to be false. Prey 2 look extremely promising from what was shown and considering that Bethesda put out games like Brink I doubt they would cancel something that looks as good as Prey 2 did. I mean it’s not like Bethesda is strapped for cash after Skyrim sold over 10 million copies in a few months.

30. Phoenixblight

Nothing has been shown other than screenshots of trailers that are not ingame just cutscenes or pieces from Blur’s trailer. Nothing of the actual game has been shown.

31. LOLshock95

@30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPMr0joaE6A

32. rossgamer1986

Ok ok, this cancellations is shocking alright, but can you guys tell me how is this even fuck!ng possible??!:

33. OrbitMonkey

^ Erm…. With a pc you could easily put that design on a disc and knock up that sleeve.

Or y’know the guy has a DeLorean/Tardis.

34. Phoenixblight

Thank you but not like it matters anymore though.

35. YoungZer0

You better be fucking kidding me!

This is in my top10 of the games i want this year. What the fuck went wrong? The gameplay looked amazing!

If you haven’t seen any gameplay, just google it, the game looks exactly what the trailer promises.

36. diego-rbb-93

MAN, WHAT A SHIT OF DAY. DON´T FUCK OFF!

I´ve been waiting for this game a lot of years, I was extremly excited when they finally announced. What the fuck have just happened!?

37. LOLshock94

@34 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL stop talking to yourself you faggot

38. OrbitMonkey

Apparently a exec overheard it described as Strangers Wrath in space… Took one look at the sales Stranger made and thought “Fuck that!!” ;-)

39. absolutezero

Cancel a game outright : “Oh hey it was more than likely going to be shitty anyway, I never had any interest in it at all, why all the fuss?”

Ask a developer to fix something thats broken : “NO fuck you entitlement issues, they made the game that they wanted how dare you questions them whiney baby tears.”

Stay classy video games.

40. diego-rbb-93

Thank you for your “Headshot of the day” to Phoenix, Lolshock. Thanks for the Stage Demo too, I didn´t see that one.

41. The_Red

I’m still hoping for April’s fools! Prey 2′s gameplay shown at E3 simply looked to good to be cancelled.

42. Stephany Nunneley

Bethesda told us it does not comment on rumors. The comment has been added to the post.

43. Edo

@39 That’s just Earth talking(out of his ass AGAIN),the majority of the gamers that were even remotely interested in this game are(or will be) really disappointed,if Bethesda confirms this,and I REALLY hope they don’t.

44. Christopher Jack

Hate that whole “we don’t comment on rumours or speculation” bullshit maybe if they’re trying to surprise their user-base- maybe, but I think knowledge of the progress of products & services are important for the consumers to be immediately updated with.

45. Freek

That trailer looked really cool, but that was just a movie. Who knows what the game actually was or wether they were ever able to get that concept to work in gameplay form.
    Looking good in a movie and “being a game you can sell for 60 bucks” are two vastely different things.

46. TheWulf

Why must people constantly remind me of how utterly disappointed I am by gamer xenophobia? It’s like all the classics, no matter how far you go back. Beyond Good & Evil, Anachronox, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, Stranger’s Wrath…

See, it’s days like this where if I could upload my open-mindedness to the brain of every person alive, I would. Because people disappoint me, no imagination, no sense of adventure or romance… ultimately so, so boring.

Oddworld was always as strange as strange gets really, though. It doesn’t surprise me that it’s never sold well. People just want desaturated modern day shooters. And there’s that pall of doom again.

47. OrbitMonkey

^ so you would basically brainwash the world to achieve your utopia? How noble!!

;-)

48. Edo

@45 Da faq do you mean “Who knows what the game actually was or wether they were ever able to get that concept to work in gameplay form.”!?!?There are numerous GAMEPLAY videos on youtube that show exactly that…GAMEPLAY!

49. TheWulf

Oh, come on, you know I didn’t say that. Opening a person up to new possibilities isn’t the same as forcing any particular choices upon them. Believe me, I’m familiar with psychology (including NLP and conditioning), and that’s a very goal-oriented thing.

If anything it would be a brain upgrade. Closed-mindedness seems to stem from limited hardware, likely squandered white matter when they had it (not exposed to enough new experiences in their formative years).

So essentially – no, not brainwashing. Nice try, though.

50. LOLshock95

@37 WTF !!??

51. Edo

Oh great….there’s two of them now.

52. LOLshock94