Crytek: Homefront 2 “can make a big splash” when it launches

Friday, 16th March 2012 08:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Homefront 2, when it arrives, can still make big waves despite critical reception to the first game, Crytek co-founder Avni Yerli has said.

Homefront, which launched in March last year, got 70 on MetaCritic across all three platforms, but had been marketed pretty hard by publisher THQ.

It sold 1 million units and shipped 2.4 million units in its first week.

Speaking to GI International at GDC, Yerli and games GM Nick Button-Brown said that with its own unique touch behind it, it can be a relative success.

“It has a huge mind share, everybody knows the IP,” Yerli said.

“The first game has indeed a low Metacritic, but due to really great positioning and great marketing it has reached a good mind share. And I think with Crytek quality attached to it and similar marketing attached to it, it can make a big splash at the time it comes out.”

Button-Brown added: “When you look at the world they created in the first game and the world that they were talking about for the second game, the setting they were talking about… obviously we can’t talk about it yet, but it’s really cool.”

THQ core boss Danny Bilson had previously hinted a Mississippi River setting for the sequel. But when asked about a setting elsewhere, Button-Brown added it was up to the team making it at Crytek UK.

“In the end it’s the team’s choice,” he said.

“The team choose and they really, really like it and thought it was a great opportunity and we’ll support them on that.”

Crytek was announced to be working on the sequel last summer for a release in THQ’s FY14, meaning sometime between April 2013 and March 2014.

1. YoungZer0

Lets hope they leave everything behind the first game did. Change the story, change the setting, change the weapons, change everything.

How about something more realistic for a change? Europe being invaded by Americans because they found a huge chunk of oil reserves in the middle of France/Germany/Whatever? I’d pay double to play that.

2. Maximum Payne

@1 Yep I believe also they will leave everything behind.
    As mater of facts probably is going to be so different you couldn’t associated with first game :D
    Its just with MP I am curious.

3. KrazyKraut

I liked the first one, but stopped after 3 months. I dont understand, why they didnt fix all the f*cking bugs?? Other ppl said that too: everything okay, but we want a stable game for our money. I will never pre-order or buy a THQ game on day one again.

4. DarkElfa

@1, How about something more realistic than that, like your mom being invaded by bums, or is a replay of your conception too painful?

Don’t talk about other people’s countries.

5. Maximum Payne

@4 I think he was sarcastic but who knows :D

6. DarkElfa

@5, YoungZer0 is never sarcastic, just offending.

I am become forum rage, the destroyer of trolls.

7. YoungZer0

@4: I shouldn’t talk about other countries while you talking about my mum? Are you mentally challenged?

It’s not like america has a clean vest or anything. It will always invade when there’s something to gain.

@5: Kind of. At least it would be refreshing and definitely more believable than North Korea invading the states … although considering how messed up the country is right now, with corrupt authorities destroying their country, while politicians talk about abortion and what would jesus do.

8. YoungZer0

@6: Oh sorry that i’m offending you with my honest opinion here. What was the other thing the republican candidates were discussing besides abortion and contraception?

Oh yeah, war with Iran. Why? Because they have Weapons of Mass Destruction when in truth they don’t have any?

9. DarkElfa

@7, Hey, you talk about my country, I talk about your mum. You don’t like the results of your trolling expedition, stop trolling and I’ll be happy to leave your mummy out of it.

Nobody has any business trying to talk shit about someone else’s nation. There isn’t a country on Earth that doesn’t have a sorted history of bad mistakes and failed policies, your own nation chiefly among them.

In other words, those in glass houses should shut the fuck up.

10. LOLshock94

@9 umad coz its true bro?

11. YoungZer0

@9: So your country = Your mom. Is that what you’re trying to tell me? You do realize that it makes you look like a complete fool, don’t you?

Ever been honest about your country once? Or do you approve of all the warmongering of the past 10 years? No? Then why are you so mad?

12. OrbitMonkey

Ahh I love the smell of misguided nationalism in the mid-afternoon… Smells like…

*cough* Fuck me it stinks!!

13. DarkElfa

@10, nope, not mad in the slightest. I got no problem admitting to my country being screwed up, I just don’t think it needs countries with far longer and worse histories trying to point out it’s flaws.

@11, No, your mom = a donkey, my country on the other hand is split down the middle, full of shit and past insane.

I wouldn’t call myself a nationalist in any way. I despise the state it’s in but while I may call my own mom a slut, you call her one and I’ll break your jaw.

Zer0′s mom however is open season. ;)

14. YoungZer0

@13: I think there are countries with longer history, but worse? Naw, come on, get real. Besides it’s not the past of america that troubles most people. It’s the present. I don’t see any reason why the country wouldn’t attack a european country.

What was the news lately? That they found oil in Uganda?

15. Phoenixblight

Dude, this was about a game not your hate or love for a country. Go to CNN.com to go bitch about America’s agenda.

16. DSB

A fairly common denominator shared by European America-haters is the fact that they’ve never been there. I know because I used to be one of those myself.

The irony is that denouncing 300 million people spread out over 10 million square kilometres doesn’t exactly match up with the standard you might expect from a superior european intellectual. Is that really an informed stance?

Judging America based on how things are in a place like a Mississippi really makes as much sense as judging Europe by how things are in Romania.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that the United States has screwed up over time – But that’s the risk you take when you act, which has traditionally been the role of the US. They’ve ensured reasonably healthy and prosperous societies everywhere from South Korea to Japan and Germany, the latter two of which were probably responsible for some of the most heinous governments in history.

It was the US who proposed to attack the Serbs while they were slaughtering people in Sarajevo, and it was the EU who didn’t let them until it was already too late, and our soldiers had just stood there while innocent people were murdered right in front of them.

Personally I don’t feel very good with the EU moping around, not being able to agree whenever there’s a critical, historical decision to be made. I’d rather be the one making the mistake, than sitting back and relying on others to make them for me.

I don’t agree with a lot of things in the US, I have very different values myself, but I don’t believe that it has ever been the country trying to do harm. It’s usually just a few bad guys in office.

17. LOLshock94

@16 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXw6znXPfy4

18. PowerT

A sane, well put together thought in a sea of rage. Actually made me lol.

19. DarkElfa

@17, umad coz its true bro?

20. LOLshock94

@19 more evidence supports otherwise so your comment is invalid

21. triggerhappy

OMG LOLshock made a real sentence i could understand… i KNEW you had it in you, well done :P

22. LOLshock94

@21 http://www.gamer.ru/system/attached_images/images/000/476/492/original/THANKS%20BRO.jpg?1326055566