Baldur’s Gate gets Enhanced Edition this summer, new content confirmed

Thursday, 15th March 2012 19:05 GMT By Dave Oshry

The wait is finally over.  Baldur’s Gate is back, and it’s… enhanced!

The countdown at BaldursGate.com has finally ended and with it comes the announcement of the Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition from Atari and digital distributor Beamdog.

Details are scarce, but if it’s anything like the Witcher’s enhanced editions, then we’re in for a treat.  Stay tuned for details.

Update

Trent Oster from Beamdog just had this to say via Twitter:

Yes, the site is currently down.  Blame reddit.

We’ve reached out to Beamdog for more info and will update you when we can.

1. Patrick Garratt

Well.

2. NeoSquall

it won’t load for me D:

3. Edo

Meh.

4. Hunam

I think this is the only way Atari are going to make a penny off their D&D licence considering their output of late.

5. Talkar

Finally a D&D style RPG! Get out of my way Dragon Age fans! xD

6. Ercarret

So …? I visit the site, and it’s just the same as it always was. Minus the countdown. And the awesome music.

How disappointing.

7. DSB

No!!! They didn’t!

Damn this sounds interesting. I wonder what “enhanced” actually means. There are lots of community mods that have added support for this and that.

Minsc and Boo. U Y NO GIVE THEM THEIR OWN GAME YET?!

8. B_O

“…but if it’s anything like the Witcher Enhanced Editions, then we’re in for a treat.”

Yeah, well, TW: Enhanced Ed. was available free if you already had TW. Don’t feel like coughing up over 10 bucks for a game originally released in 1998 with some new animations, additional NPC models and recoloring of generic NPC models as well as monsters, vastly expanded and corrected dialogues…

9. StolenGlory

Most amusingly, one of the bouncers who works at my local metal nightclub looks like Minsc; minus the cool purple face tat naturally :)

10. DSB

@9 But… Did he have a miniature giant space hamster that only he could communicate with?

11. unacomn

“but if it’s anything like the Witcher Enhanced Editions, then we’re in for a treat”

… that makes no sense in any universe.

12. Ercarret

@9: You should give him a hamster for his birthday. And a purple tatoo in his sleep.

13. Dave Oshry

@11 The Witcher enhanced editions are awesome so yes it makes sense in my universe :-p

14. unacomn

@13 But they were made by CD Projekt for their own game, by fixing mistakes they had made due to crunch time, oversight and publisher interference. We’re talking about an “enhanced version” of a game that’s over a decade old, which has had expansions since then and more mods than I can count. It’s already about as enhanced as it can get.

15. StolenGlory

I never have seen the thing in the cloakroom who spirits my coat away from me you know…

16. Patrick Garratt

Updating…

17. Patrick Garratt

There. New content confirmed.

18. YoungZer0

Here’s hope that it means better/new engine/graphics and not just new quests.

19. ManuOtaku

I dont want to sound like a broken record here, but i hope it comes to consoles too on PSN/XBLA.

20. Hunam

The game just plain as day wouldn’t work on console dude. Unless using a cursor with an analogue stirs your fancy.

21. YoungZer0

@20: Could work if it uses the same Engine as Dragon Age.

22. Ercarret

@21: I doubt it. I think it would be way to clunky no matter what. Controlling a spellcaster would be a nightmare.

23. papizdano

hope screens come soon wanna see it all shiny

24. Ercarret

@23: The first screens are coming next week, according to Trent Oster’s Twitter.

Also: The site is finally back up. http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/7956/bgee.jpg

25. fearmonkey

If they do a major overall that would be sweet, it would be a fun revisit.
    Did they get the rights from Interplay, or is this Interplay’s attempt at making some cash?
    I would love the same done with Planescape and a new Descent Please!!

26. Ercarret

@25: Atari holds the rights for a lot of Interplay’s old AD&D games, such as the BG series and Icewind Dale. I don’t know who controlls Planescape: Torment, and I don’t even have a clue about what game Descent is.

It would be interesting to see a similar remake of PS:T, though. I actually think that would be more interesting than this BG remake. I replayed BG2 recently, and it actually doesn’t look to shabby. It’s still quite beautiful. PS:T, being more zoomed in, doesn’t fare quite as well.

27. DSB

@26 You should check out the mods, they’ll fix that.

28. Uncontested

ill take a look but unless there is a drastic overhaul i doubt i’ll be interested… i have a hard time even playing morrowind anymore because of how bad the visuals look compared to stuff out today.. and thats a game i sunk hundreds of hours into.

29. Ercarret

@27: I have, and they did. To an extent. I’m currently playing both PS:T and BG2 with mods installed. My comment still stands, though. I think it would be more interesting with a PS:T remake.