Mass Effect 3 launch video lands ahead of release

Friday, 2nd March 2012 17:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA has released the launch trailer for Mass Effect 3.

The video shows a Reaver attack and people fleeing in a shuttle as the invasion ensues.

It also has a bit of dialogue noting that everyone needs to “stand together” in order to beat the opposing forces taking over the universe.

EA also has word that if you pre-ordered the game through Origin, you can now pre-load it.

The third, and final entry to the Bioware trilogy is out next week on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. daytripper

as a big fan i’m a bit disappointed in that trailer, thought it was very disjointed, not put together well at all.

2. manamana

Its a cluttered, generic and cacophonic launchtrailer-shite. Even after finishing ME1&2 I feel somewhat disconnected to the characters. Cup of tea for me.

3. Phoenixblight

I hope that intro song is on the soundtrack. I thought the trailer was pretty good far better than that live action mess. None of the other ME trailer were as great as this one.

4. TheWulf

I think it was designed to get mindless violence fans drooling at the mindless violence. I mean, if you were to believe that trailer, then the game is about killing shit and absolutely nothing else at all.

You know, if we were judged as a species by our trailers, we’d be judged to be a species of genocidal, xenophobic, hateful maniacs. We’d essentially BE the bloody Reapers. And we’d probably get killed off before we could bring our flavour of death to the rest of the Universe.

This is why I still hold my opinion that if aliens did turn up on earth, we’d be so completely fucked, because we seem to be getting more and more violent, more and more xenophobic all the time.

At some point after the ’90s, open-mindedness just took a nosedive.

Is it just me, or is anyone else put off by this at all? I know I go on about games of the past a lot, but that’s because there was so much variety back then… these days we’re heading so much towards ‘kill shit’ in the AAA industry that I literally leap for joy whenever I see a game with elements that don’t play up to that.

When did wanting to be a diplomat become incredibly uncool versus mindless slaughter?

Excuse me, I’m just going to hug my copy of New Vegas, then I’ll feel better.

As I keep mentioning – New Vegas is my gold standard for RPGs. It’s a game that you could complete without killing anyone. I know this. How do I know this? I did a run where I did JUST THAT. You can even talk the legate out of his little war at the end of the game, and you could do that without having to raise a gun to anyone. That character in New Vegas didn’t use guns (I refused to for him).

I’m beginning to feel like Vash the Stampede of Trigun in his Universe. Of course progress can be achieved without killing shit.

I just wonder if I can remain sane long enough to wait for the paradigm shift that will bring about the end of ‘mindless slaughter for mindless idiots’ in AAA titles and for them to embrace variety and experimentation again. It has to happen eventually, and I do feel that we’re on the brink. But every time I see something like this… argh!

This is what gaming is at the moment. But it could be so much more.

5. TheWulf

‘Great’ is a very subjective concept. I feel that all the Mass Effect trailers have been incredibly bad.

With Mass Effect 1 they were amazingly generic. Mass Effect 2 ‘changed this up’ with rock music and the exploitation of oversexualised women (BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT WE ALL WANT), and Mass Effect 3? Candy for genocidal people.

None of them were good. Including this one, which is as terrible as the rest.

6. macronia

Protectors Of The Earth by Two Steps From Hell – Invincible Album

Nice music trailer , hope the game soundtrack is good as well
    can’t wait to play it

7. Phoenixblight

@3 and 4

Haters gonna hate.

Don’t care what you think. You aren’t pissing in my cheerios.

8. SplatteredHouse

Wow! I liked it most right up to after Shepard interacts with The Illusive Man, but I don’t deny that I thought that trailer was cool (the music sort of drowned out Shep’s rallying soundbites) even though it got excessive.

This is it, as the female voice at the end implied, and actually, I’m happy with the balls to the wall, go all out attitude of the trailer. I think it’s appropriate and I was pleased to see that exuberance here, that’s not really been conveyed in recent media for this game. Very good for a launch trailer!

9. Colin Gallacher

“Each of you needs to be willing to die, anything less and you’re already dead!”

Oh wow :D

I’m still looking forward to it, I’ve been needing a game to just sink some time in to lately.

10. DSB

Gosh, that’s like a “Best of 80′s action movie clich├ęs”. It’s kind of a problem when you don’t have a single decent one-liner to put in the trailer.

I guess they kept the toothless sex scenes as well.

It looks great visually, but I think they’re better off sticking with the cinematic one. A lot less “writing” in that one :P

11. John117

Man I hope Liara wont be mad for me nailing Miranda in ME2 :/ Though I really like Two Steps From Hell so this trailer worked fine for getting me a little more pumped about ME3! After all, this time it’s a full scale war in the universe contra the spec ops stuff which was done in the first two games.