Blizzard nervous over Diablo III’s meeting “expectations”

Wednesday, 22nd February 2012 23:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

While Blizzard won’t release a game it isn’t more than confident in, community manager Bashiok has laughingly requested players not to treat Diablo III like the be all and end all.

Responding to a Battle.net forum thread about player expectations after such an extended development period, Bashiok admitted to a case of the nerves.

“I too worry that we won’t be able to meet the expectations people have built up for themselves,” he said.

“Part of my job is managing people’s expectations, so, eh, stop it. Stop thinking about how awesome this game could be.”

Bashiok compared the game to a new M. Night Shyamalan movie, describing Diablo III as “the sequel to The Village or The Happening” – two of the director’s less well-received films, rather than Unbreakable or The Sixth Sense.

“So just like, lower those expectations, but still definitely buy the game please, and everything will be just fine,” he ended.

Bashiok’s comments seem to have been joking, but it’s interesting to note the wrath of entitled gamers isn’t something developers feel entirely comfortable about.

Diablo III has not yet been dated, although it’s expected in the second quarter.

Thanks, Gamefront.

1. LOLshock94

The Village or The Happening…those are some awful movies to compare a game to

2. Se_7_eN

Soooo…. Don’t have high hopes for the game anymore, but still buy the game even though its going to be less than what I thought it was?

I will stick with Torchlight 2.

3. DSB

I strongly doubt that it won’t be worth it. I don’t think you’re likely to get a hack and slash with more imaginative spells and attacks. Just reading the tooltips made me chuckle.

There might well be some vocal opposition unless it turns out to be a lot darker and more morbid than it is at the moment though.

4. TheWulf

I wouldn’t exactly call it imaginative. My time with it showed a lot of ideas borrowed from other games, though. (Torchlight especially, the mechanics feel like Torchlight HD at times.)

What I didn’t like though was the story, it’s so cliche and B-Movie. It’s as far away from imaginative as anything could be. An asteroid falls and turns everyone into zombies, oohhhh scaaary. Like we’ve never seen THAT particular plotline before.

So, yeah, it’s… typical Blizzard, really.

5. Erthazus

I can’t say that it’s a typical Blizzard.

Diablo 1-2 story was really cool.
    But after they joined to Activision… Since Starcraft II and WOTC/Cataclysm all their stories are mediocre at best. It feels really like a B-movie cliche story.

6. DSB

I didn’t see anything half as elaborate as Diablo III when I played through Torchlight. It was a good game, but it was far from pushing anything forward.

Diablo III has you dropping turrets, killing monsters with kamikaze zombies and lets you summon pygmys that turn enemies into chickens. Torchlight can’t hold a candle to that.

I also don’t recognize the story.

Based on what little is known, the people who witnessed the events of the previous games are either mad or dead, leaving people largely oblivious while the lesser evils bide their time, building their armies until they’re ready for the assault on humanity. Some people believe the fireball is Tyrael being banished from heaven.

But yeah, Blizzard’s stories have always been campy pulp.

7. absolutezero

So temper expectations to the level associated with a follow up to The Happening.

So no expectations what so ever. I can kinda see his point now.

Remember that while Torchlight is never going to to compete with the complexitties of D3, Torchlight 2 is very much an un-known quantity. Then theres the other end of the spectrum where something like Path of Exile which has gone beyond Diablo in terms of depth.

8. DSB

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s the “ultimate” anything.

It just has that trademark level of engineering, and the skills are pretty neat.

There are plenty of hack and slash games out there doing far crazier things though.

9. tatsujin

@2 your gonna purchase D3 and your gonna love it.

BETA tester here. :P

10. OlderGamer

I am worried about it too.

I am really looking forward to both this and Tourchlight 2(and GW2). But more then a few redflags go up with DIII. Time will tell.

11. HauntaVirus

He’s wrong, this is the be all end all. Until the next installment of course.

12. Freek

I expect to click the left mouse button and make the numbers go up, ocaisionally picking up things that are marked green or purple in my inventory.
    You can manage that, right Blizzard?

13. John117

So, I’m sure people know that the leaders of Runic Games was in the making of Diablo before they created Diablo. So Torchlight is really just a remake from the Diablo template.
    As for the general message, I’m pretty sure what he is trying to say is that if people expect the perfect game they are gonna be disapointed. So he is really just doing us all a favor and saving us the trouble of finding out that the almost perfect game was not 100% perfect…

14. silkvg247

Anyone who liked D1 or D2 will like D3, it’s that simple.

I has beta.

15. DSB

@14 The thing that gets me is that (especially) D2 was really dark and morbid. The beta does feel slightly less “heavy”.

For one you have the cartoony graphics with actual colors in the murk and of course there isn’t that outstanding soundtrack.

Ironically the guy who did the soundtrack for D2 is working for Runic now.

I really feel like the D2 soundtrack is the best in any game, ever. Back when I was playing WoW I’d turn off the music and just play the D2 one instead.

16. ManuOtaku

Guys one question though, this will be coming to Consoles too? or it is a PC Exclusive?, i ask this because i never played a diablo game before, and i want to experience this game without playing it on PC, i did like torchlight, therefore i think i will love diablo.

17. Maximum Payne

@16 Even if comes to consoles god knows when because they are working so long on 1 platform and battle.net but for console they need to modify engine,controls,different online system…

18. Edo

They can have it,it’has turned into WoW No 32313441411818 anyway.

19. ManuOtaku

#17 I dont mind if i have to wait, the thing is if it is eventually comming at some point to consoles or not, i hope the option will remain open for a console port, i mean they do not state otherwise, i am still waiting for the grim fandango XBLA/PSN at some point, therefore as you can see patience is one on my many virtues 8D.
    p.s And thanks for the respond, i really appreciated

20. silkvg247

Yes it’ll come out on consoles, they’ve already dropped that bombshell (or did I dream that?)

@15 Yup I agree, it’s a shame that it doesn’t seem quite as dark (if dark at all!). I remember the D2LOD soundtrack from title screen but that’s about all.

21. Phoenixblight

Most of the Runic studio is from Blizzard North who had worked on Diablo 2. I don’t see that ironic. Blizzard fired them and so they went and made their own studio. Its how the industry works.

As far D3 goes. I played the beta and I really don’t see a difference between the game besides the stream lined talent system, new classes and a Auction house to circumvent grinding for that one legendary item as long as you are willing to pay a crap load of money. I am actually pretty disappointed with the game and I am not sure I will be even picking it up. You would think with their success that they would put more into innovation like they had with Starcraft 2 but I guess that was too much to ask.

22. DSB

@21 They didn’t fire Uelmen, and he didn’t leave when Blizzard North was put down.

He worked on Starcraft and World of Warcraft as well, so it’s not like he was just a Blizzard North staffer, even if he came in with Condor.

The (future) Runic guys were doing Hellgate: London in the meantime. Torchlight is basically an iteration of Flagship Studios Mythos project.

@20 Oh hell no!

Listen to those and tell me they don’t ring a bell.