Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs is real, may launch by Halloween

Wednesday, 22nd February 2012 17:42 GMT By Staff

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs has been announced as a collaboration between thechineseroom and Frictional Games.

After being rumored over the weekend, and teased earlier in the month, the game has been confirmed to Joystiq by Dear Esther writer Dan Pinchbeck.

Developed by thechineseroom and produced by Frictional – although publishers have made overtures, and been rejected – the game is not a direct sequel to Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but does take place in the same “alternate history” and the same universe.

The game follows a wealthy industrialist named Oswald Mandus, who in 1899 has returned from “a disastrous expedition to Mexico” which ended in tragedy.

Mandus caught a fever on his ill-fated trip, during which he dreamt of a “dark machine.” Upon regaining consciousness, the mysterious machine from his dreams also “sputters to life.”

In a separate interview with Joystiq, Frictional’s Thomas Grip said the team wanted to do more with the Amnesia world, but didn’t have the time. They floated the idea of collaboration, thought of of Pinchbeck, and sealed the deal at GDC Europe 2011.

The game will release on PC first, but will come to Mac and Linux as soon as possible, possibly within the PC launch window. An Xbox Live Arcade port was touted, but Fricitional said the team doesn’t have the “time or willpower” for a console project.

1. Maximum Payne

Maybe I am wrong but for so small team I always find theirs story and settings unique in some way ?

2. diego-rbb-93

A machine for pigs… It sounds like this time all the whole game it´s going to be heavy… Awesome.

3. Ercarret

Strange. I haven’t played either Amnesia or Dear Esther, but I’m still psyched for this collaboration. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

4. Maximum Payne

@3 You should def play Amnesia.Its cheap and story is interesting.
    Not to mention is great as horror.

5. Ercarret

@4: I already have it, I just haven’t gotten around to playing it yet. Every time I think of playing it I just chicken out and play Skyrim or something instead. :)

6. Maximum Payne

@5 hehe trust me its scary in way that you want more :)

7. TheWulf

@1: Indie, not shackled by a publisher. Hardly surprising.

Looking forward to this.

8. fearmonkey

Amneisa is very creepy, I enjoyed the Penumbra games too.

9. absolutezero

If you are slightly doubting Pinchbecks horror chops from Dear Esther alone, he made another game called Korsakovia, its a very very simple mod for Half Life 2 but its tense and pretty damn scary. I think we might see something like that only with the Frictional looking after the whole thing.

10. Brenna Hillier

Updated with further details.