21st Century Walkman: Vita turns PSP’s dream to reality

Wednesday, 22nd February 2012 09:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Vita has the power to disrupt video games wholesale, and marks the realisation of Ken Kutaragi’s vision for the PlayStation handheld. With the console launching in the west today, Patrick Garratt is weak at the knees.

Vita is the machine 3DS should have been, the only portable console Sony could have released without being irrelevant, and is clearly one of the most inspired pieces of hardware conceptualization since Wii.

It’s easy to forget how heavily Sony’s E3 2004 PSP reveal stunned the games world. PSP could never work. It used a proprietary disc format no one cared about and was stupid enough to go toe-to-toe with Nintendo and DS. Urban legend even has it that Ken Kutaragi drew up the draft plans for UMD in the back of a cab on the way to the presentation.

The truth is that PSP, 55.4 million units later, was merely the first stage in the realisation of a vision: Kutaragi said it was “the 21st Century Walkman.”

It wasn’t. PlayStation Vita is.

With Vita’s launch today we are seeing Sony make good on its promise eight years ago to deliver a revolutionary handheld device to video games. Vita is not “mobile gaming”. It’s mobile console gaming in a machine modern enough to fit into even the most connected of lives. Vita is the machine 3DS should have been, the only portable console Sony could have released without being irrelevant, and clearly one of the most inspired pieces of games hardware conceptualization since Wii.

I don’t know a single person that’s used one for a real period of time that doesn’t like it. The concept is nigh on perfect. PlayStation Vita is a high-end portable games console for the internet generation. I can sit and play games on a screen large enough to leave my eyes unstrained while flicking in and out of Facebook and Twitter in seconds. The games are, staggeringly, comparable to current generation consoles, and thanks to the pastiche of twin thumbsticks and touch interfaces an entirely new experience arises. You can touch everything, move everything. For gamers, Vita is essential.

The UI, again, takes the best from other mobile formats and cocktails it with PlayStation heritage to create something potent. As with iOS and Android, you have apps on homescreens, all of which are moveable, and the backgrounds to which are all alterable. Open apps can be reached by flicking off to the right. Play Wipeout and leave your Twitter app and browser open; finish a race, drop out to check Twitter, open a link, drop back into the game. It’s seamless, and Vita’s power means it never blinks at keeping multiple pieces of software running.

The variety of interfaces means you’ll switch from sticks to screen to tilt, and after a while it all feels natural. You hands start to dance. The opening games have obviously been designed to show off Vita’s features to best advantage, but the effect of playing something like Uncharted – in terms of technicality, at least – is a revelation. Vita has provided something new. Given our current position with creativity in console video games, that is something to be applauded.

The question of relevance has gone from my mind. Vita is relevant, and it will succeed. There is no other portable format in existence that can run Call of Duty or BioShock without you knowing by default that it’s a cut-down cash-in. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, FIFA and Wipeout couldn’t be any further from “mobile” on Vita. They are new, serious versions in major franchises, as worthy of excitement as anything you’ll find on PS3 or 360. After using a Vita for the past weeks, the prospect of playing a new BioShock game on it has me giddy.

PlayStation Vita is Ken’s 21st Century Walkman. It is a format like no other. It has the potential to disrupt core gaming wholesale, just as Walkman changed the concept of music consumption. What started Kutaragi’s vision for PSP becomes reality in America and Europe today. Be part of it.

1. Mark

I intend to be part of it, but amazon have other ideas as it likely wont be here till Saturday.

2. Mike

Sounds great. It’s just that I’ve never understood handhelds beyond commuting, which I don’t.

I mean, I’ve got a backlog on PC, backlog on 360, do I need another backlog?

However, people’s praise of PSVita really makes me want one, but I seriously doubt I’ll see myself sitting on a sofa, in doors, staring at 5″ screen…

3. Johnny Cullen

I know it’s the camera angle, but that PSP looks really small. Smaller than it is.

I don’t know why I needed to point that out, but there we go.

4. Patrick Garratt

Maybe he’s just got a giant head.

5. Dragon246

I am already a part of it.

6. El_MUERkO

I don’t share Pat’s optimism, the Vita’s technology will look dated by the end of the year, particularly the resolution of its screen which has already been surpassed by several mobile phones.

The Vita’s one advantage is its innovative control system but I cant see that being enough to encourage people to carry an extra device on them.

Previously I’ve thought the success of the Vita may hinge on its pricing model, a sort of ‘console in your hand for less’ concept… but Sony have set themselves up to fail, £45 for any game on a mobile device is beyond foolish in the age of the smart phone.

The PSP was plagued by piracy because of its ludicrous pricing structure, the choice to unlock their device was made easy for people by the overwhelming sense they were being ripped-off. The attach-rate for software was abysmal because of it.

Did publishers learn nothing from Rockstars launch of GTA: Chinatown Wars or the colossal success of Angry Birds and F2P model on iOS and Android?

So where does that leave us? Within twelve months we’re going to have much larger selection of games on mobile devices that look better, run smoother and cost substantially less all without the need for an extra device in your pocket.

7. Mike

Good argument.

8. Patrick Garratt

All I can say is try one. It’s got nothing to do with phones. You can’t play Call of Duty on a phone or a tablet, and you never will be able to. Console graphics were outdated years ago, but that doesn’t mean people stopped playing them.

And Sony’s been smart with the pricing. If you spend £40 you get a full Uncharted game, or a full FIFA game. It’s not a “mobile” game. If you don’t want to spend that much, you can get Motorstorm RC for a fiver and Escape Plan for a tenner.

I use mine all the time, and I know I’ll continue to do so. It works. I was as sceptical as you are, but not any more.

9. Mike

I suppose the question is, when you go out, would you take both your smartphone (that, for the sake of argument you also play games on)and your Vita with you?

10. Psychotext

“It’s got nothing to do with phones.”

Like it or not, it really does. I like the Vita from a technical perspective, and it’s certainly got some compelling titles (not that I would include CoD in that)… but it’s just one more thing to carry around, and in that light, for me, phone / tablet gaming is “good enough”.

We’ve seen how it’s doing in the land of portable gaming, and it’s going to be interesting to see how it does in the West. Especially in America where the PSP really struggled.

11. Chockster

Curses. You’ve made me want one now, Pat.

12. G1GAHURTZ

@8:

*standing ovation*

13. G1GAHURTZ

Still, #6 makes an excellent point about Chinatown Wars.

Biggest brand in gaming, next to CoD, and it flopped.

14. Patrick Garratt

@10: The reason I said that is because the experience isn’t comparable. Vita can exist despite iOS, which was always key. It does have something to do with phones in that it has to sit alongside them, but the experience is completely different. Most of the time I use my Vita is sitting at home in the evening. I took it on a foreign trip last week because I knew I was going to be on a plane, and spent the journey playing Wipeout. Most of the time I play games on my Desire because I’m stuck on a tube or in a traffic jam, or something, and I’m bored.

I think a lot of people are asking whether or not it’ll replace mobile games, and of course it won’t. Will it exist alongside them? Yep, and it’ll have core, 3D action games that appeal to the likes of you and I. I don’t see Vita as being directly competitive to phones. They both have their place.

15. Patrick Garratt

@13: Yep, it died. But it was a different game. I think that says more about the hardware than the brand. If they released a true GTA on Vita it’d be the same game, give or take, with dualstick controls and comparable graphics and sound. I’m always willing to be wrong, obviously, but I think it’ll have far more chance of working.

The big test will be a brand FPS, I think. If there’s a unique CoD on it and it works properly with the controls it’ll be a system-seller.

16. El_MUERkO

But if you’re not getting Uncharted or FIFA then why get a Vita? There are dozens of quality games that can compete directly with Motorstorm and Escape Plan on iOS and Android right now.

I’d disagree with the ‘and you’ll never be able to’. All it takes is apple to release an official game controller peripheral for the next iPhone and the Vita becomes instantly niche, and considering their greater support of games developers on all their platforms there’s a pretty good chance that may happen.

I’m not rubbishing the Vita either, I was very impressed by the demo at the EG Expo and several times I’ve been tempted by it. But Sony seem to be making many of the same mistakes they made when they launched the PSP but in a market transformed by the Smart Phone that’ll be even less tolerant of it.

17. Psychotext

@14: There’s certainly space for both of them, the question is, it it enough space for the Vita to survive? Especially with regard to software sales.

It’s got a very limited window to make an impression on publishers, otherwise it’s going to find itself in the same position as the PSP did… that’s assuming it can even manage the strong hardware sales in the first place. I don’t think Sony are going to be able to keep Vita supplied with enough software on their own (especially with a PS4 launch coming up), they need strong publisher support over the long term.

This of course aside from the fact that we’re making the assumption that a significant number of people want home console style games on their portable. This is yet to be proven.

18. Patrick Garratt

@16 – I agree it’s a very tough market, yep, but I think Vita does have a place within it.

I think you’re getting a Vita regardless of Uncharted or FIFA because it’s a unique piece of hardware. It links up to your PS3, if you have one, and the coupling of hard controls, touch and motion is something you’re not going to get anywhere else. Like, Motorstorm’s a good example; you get it on Vita, you get the PS3 game for free and you can control both with twin sticks. It’s not possible on any other system suite.

I’m not sure the controller thing stands up because what you suggest there is a peripheral. Devs will never put serious effort into anything that requires an add-on for obvious reasons. Vita has the control method worked in as native.

I dunno. Maybe I’m wrong. It just makes sense to me.

19. Patrick Garratt

@17 – I can’t argue with any of that. It’ll all come down to eyeballs, obviously. It just feels right to me.

20. Adam Doree

Keen to pick one up after reading this. Just waiting for the games that might suit me.

However, it was E3 2003, not 2004, when big Ken first announced PSP. Will always remember the moment. :)

21. tenthousandgothsonacid

Sadly I think it’s doomed. I’m a massive games nut with a house that looks like a Sony centre and a daily 4 hour commute and today I spent 200 quid on a Samsung Galaxy Note. I just don’t want to carry two devices around with me all the time. Plus, in 18 months I’ll trade it in for a newer phone/tablet whereas I’d be stuck with a Vita short of getting bugger all for it at Cex …

22. absolutezero

Im really impressed with how its handles multiple applications being open at once, its fast intuitive and responsive.

Apple could release a control pad add-on tomorrow but they won’t because that would take away from the message of no buttons. Adding something would suggest that their product was lacking in the first place and that just would not do. So it’s down to third party releases, which are fine only not all games would support them, and never will.

Oh and I don’t want to carry about a control pad in my pocket aswell as my phone I mean who the fuck would want to carry about more than one thing, jesus come on now.

Also armchair industry analysts make me want to blow my fucking brains out. chin chin what what.

23. MegaGeek1

@21: The difference is you spent 200 quid on a subsidized Galaxy Note with a 2 or 3 year contract. That phone is $800 to buy outright.

People can pose the argument that the smart phone market will erode the Vita market for whatever reason they want, but at the end of the day the Vita is still a much cheaper option. Currently Vita has much better specs then even the best smart phone and is 1/3 of the price. At the end of February, once MWC is over, you may see Tegra 3 phones that will be released late second quarter of 2012, but they are sill 650-800 to buy outright, AND have operating systems that require the majority of those specs to run fluidly.

I’m all for smart phone technology increasing at a rapid rate, and have a special place in my life for a great phone, but to scratch my gaming itch, a dedicated mobile gaming platform is the only thing that will suffice.

Also, Apple will never ever release a 1st party gaming controller peripheral. It goes against everything their design team believes in.

24. silkvg247

What’s that about twitter etc?

Am I missing something or is internet functionality largely irrelevant given that the UK (generally) has no roaming internet?

Or are we talking about using it at home? In which case I have a laptop, a server, a PC and a pS3 :/

Still not seeing the plus points..

25. tenthousandgothsonacid

@23 I wasn’t doing a price comparison, I’m aware of the maths :) 18 month contract btw, where do you live ? 3 yrs !?!

26. MegaGeek1

@25: Ontario, we get boned!

27. Da Man

Apple might very well release one eventually, it would be strictly for games. They’re just content with the success of smartphone games as it is.

28. Khan979

I’ve had one for a week and for gaming especially there is nothing that comes close……And I really don’t see Phones, or iPads as being competitive for pure gaming. This does all the same things an i-Pod does plus a whole lot more…..and costs less….the games I have played on it so far are amazing and just like someone mentioned before with the games being such high quality, you even find yourself going home and turning the vita on instead of your console…

It’s like having a PS3 and an iPod in one, plus some, and the controls are amazing.

29. polygem

i am not that optimistic. i wish sony all the best with vitas launch but for me personally i cannot see anything that would make me buy one. it´s a little late too imo. i craved a device like this a few years ago but now not so much anymore. i am happy with my 3ds/dsixl atm. i would definitely consider myself to be a hc gamer. i play games for ages, but i kinda got bored by what´s on offer on pc and consoles. imo we are now in a time were things are just repeating and repeating and repeating. the vita might be technically impressive but it does just that: repeating stuff that is already repeating itself on the home consoles. i really don´t feel like buying one. i havent tried one personally though. i will as soon as i can. i am not the type of guy you cannot win with good arguments so maybe i´ll end up getting one some day if it really is that great.

30. OlderGamer

Sorry folks, but it does seem some are getting carried away. I know we all want new hardware and the next gen to get here. But Vita isn’t miles ahead of current consoles techwise. Vita is playing the same franchices that are already out. And lets realisticly messure the response here, gamers are not going to suddenly trade in their PS360s to buy a handheld. It isn’t going to spark some revolution in the way gamers think about or play games.

Is it nice? I am sure it is. So is the 3DS. And so was the PSP when it first came out. Most handhelds that I have known have had one or two unique games that could be found no where else. Sometimes those games are even good(jk lol). but the masses aren’t going to change the way they game because of it.

31. Goffee

No need to point out the 20th Century Walkman came with dirt cheap storage, that was available in pretty much every store. Try finding a Vita memory card after this weekend.

32. poketrainer

I’m sorry, the iPod is the walkman of today. No two ways around that.

33. ManuOtaku

I think the vita will do fine, i dont know if it will surpass the PSP, but i think it will be close, but if it wants to be a hit, as the Walkman back in the day in the gaming industry, it will need to avoid the mistakes made by the PSP, for instance making portable games like they were console games, i mean i know some people like the idea of consoles games in handheld form, but i think this hurt the PSP and it will hurt again the Vita, handheld games are very different in nature, its not only having the same experience as in consoles, but having also new ips that demostrates the unique features of the handheld as well, like kirbys canvas curse / ghost story on the DS or like loco roco and patapon on the PSP, not the god of wars or other ps2/ps3 ports from console games , done in portable form, as much as many gamers love this, i think they need more portable strong dedicated games, portable and console are for different tastes and situations, the problem was the loco rocos and patapons were the exception not the rule on the PSP.

Also dont focus all of your efforts on graphics alone, also use all the great features of the device for gaming purposes, like on the social network front, go for the newest way of interaction between gamers and their games around the world, i dont know something that makes great use of the power of the device, instead of the non game related features like the access of twitter and facebook accounts, the PSP really wanted to go for movies, music, etc, but didnt use all its features for gaming related interactions purposes with the device, as it seems it will be the same case with the vita as well.

Therefore i hope they avoid this among others, in order to really became the walkman of the portable gaming market.

34. ManuOtaku

p.s for my previous comment, i cannot updated, so i will use this double post 8D
    Also i like to add that i dont agree with the notion that the vita is what the 3DS should have been, for me the 3DS is the DS logical next step, they made a great portable even better, the 3D without glasses, really adds a lot to the gameplay, like in pushmo and mario 3D land, also it really enhaces the graphics too, i find the graphics of the newest resident evil really great IMHO, therefore for gaming purposes the 3DS doesnt have anything to envy to the vita, for other features, well i think the vita has the upper hand for sure, of course in the HD graphics too, although the 3DS graphics are a thing of their own with the 3D touch, they are in different directions graphics wise.

35. HeavyD-Love

I concur with comment #2

36. polygem

@2 and 35: you really should try handheld gaming at home. i personally love it. it is awesome to play a game on the ds or psp on the couch or in bed. there are some great games, but like manu said – i prefer the ones that are built for the handheld not the home console ports. those aren´t bad most of the time, but i prefer playing those on the big screen if i can most of the time. there have been awesome gems on handheld only though. games like kirby canvas course, kirby mass attack and zelda spirit tracks (to name a few) are great fun on the ds, some great ones have been on the psp as well. i sometimes prefer handheld gaming. i am sitting in front of the big screen at the job. not all the time luckily but some hours every day i do. it´s different with a handheld and a stylus for example. it is really more relaxing than playing on the big screen.

37. fearmonkey

I had a chance at my local Gamestop to play several games on the vita last weekend.

The first thing I noticed about the vita is that is larger than I expected, it’s bigger than a PSP and it’s screen is very nice and clear.
    The 2nd thing I noticed is the weight and the quality of the machine. This handheld feels great, it’s not too heavy, and the build quality feels superior to the PSP. I was pretty impressed with it’s build quality actually.

The screen looks vibrant, the controls are excellent, this is truly a mobile console. The small dual sticks feel great.

I tried the Uncharted demo and the wipeout demos. They both looked and played great. The only thing that surprised me was the amount of “Shimmering” in the games, especially objects in the distance. I’m not sure of the unit’s antialising abilities but these early games all seemed to suffer from it. That bothered me a bit but probably won’t bother most others out there.

I prefer gaming on a console and I do not travel all that often, plus I own a Ipad2 for mobile gaming. I cannot justify the price of a vita at the moment for those reasons. If I were a college student, traveled quite a bit, or just loved handheld games, I think the Vita would be a must have device.

38. polygem

i have no doubt that the build quality is great. i bought a launch psp and i was blown away by that thing back then. i just cant feel the same excitement atm, but i will check the vita out myself and play one in the next days as well. if they finally make another medievil – vita exclusive – i will be truly truly tempted. i cannot understand why sony isn´t finally making another one for vita or ps3. i love sir dan!

39. Robo_1

Fair play to you Pat, it’s great to read such an enthusiastic article, and I agree with much of what you’ve said.

I’ve owned the Vita for roughly ten hours now, and I’ve put it through it’s paces. Wipeout is proper jaw dropping, and the AR stuff is advanced beyond what I’d hoped for. From top to bottom it really is a gamers hand held, from it’s multitude of controls, solid online integration and bountiful selection of launch day games.

I respect the opinions of the nay sayers, but I am a little fatigued by the same old arguments. Yes, smart phones and tablets are going to encroach upon the success of dedicated handhelds, but the 3DS has found it’s – record breaking – feat now, so I think there is a degree of proof which shows that with the right games, features and price point, handheld consoles still have a viable market.

As for Vita’s chances, I think much will depend on it’s appeal to college students, and their desire to carry on their CoD battles outside of the online zone. Local multiplayer CoD could end up being a big thing if it’s embraced by the right market. Having spent a good chunk of time with Unit 13 today, I can say without reservation that the machine itself is more than capable of delivering the type of competitive experience many would demand from such a game.

Another important aspect of Vita is Near, the user driven location app. Not that I’m knocking the 3DS’s Streetpass, but Near eclipses it, both in terms of scope and functionality. I’ve already been gifted an exclusive Hustle Kings cue, and discovered that somebody on my street has also run out to buy a Vita today. I can see developers making clever use of this tech, which could help games to quickly form active online communities.

I also wouldn’t discount the popularity of Vita in households where the consoles are restricted to use on one TV. Certainly in my home, I’ll be glad to be enjoying the likes of Ninja Gaiden and Uncharted whilst my girlfriend spends the best part of the evening slaying dragons and weak-kneed adventurers in Skyrim. :)

Lastly though, I think it’s important to look at the big game Sony is likely playing with Vita. As many will know, Sony have recently bought out Ericssons share of their joint mobile venture, which must surely mean that Sony are looking to re-focus their own smart phone offerings, and I believe the Vita chipset and OS will play a big part in that going forward. Sony have already said that the Vita OS was designed with other devices in mind, and whilst it would be very bold (and probably unwise) to go it completely alone, I could well see top end Sony smart phones having a Vita mode, in which the smart phones would be capable of running Vita games, either via use of sliders in place of sticks, or a gaming specific dock.

I could see this being rolled out to cover all Sony TV’s and PS4 too, but I’m just spit balling here. :)

Anyway, the tl;dr version is thanks to Pat for sharing his enthusiasm and support for this awesome console, and I think that with a bit of good luck and good management, Vita will see success.

40. sg1974

While I remain unconvinced that the Vita will be a big success, I’m glad that someone in the industry outside of SCE has finally made it very clear that it is absurd to compare this device alongside mobile gaming devices (e.g. iOS, Android etc).

41. Dannybuoy

Whatever. It’s all tit for tat this. No body knows how it’ll do really. Let’s just sit back and enjoy the show. I’m personally enjoying my Vita plenty thanks. It fills the time nicely on my commute. Don’t play it at home though as I have 2 babies and Uncharted 3 online to deal with at night :) it fits into my life and extends my gaming capabilities so for that reason I love it.

42. Kuwabara

I’m not buying it till they release the white version, or any other colour.

43. OlderGamer

Something I would like to point out. In terms of handhelds in general. Both this and 3DS will claim record number sales. No doubt true even. But its market share % that matter most not actual hard sales numbers.

Sure those are important.

But if you want to meassure the 3DS vs Vita vs iOS/Andriod, you need to stop looking at just sales numbers alone.

For example if 3DS doubles the sales over DS, and Vita also doubles the sales over its former PSP both of those things are great. And no doubt both Nintendo and Sony will claim victory and tout their champion. But if ipads or smart phones or some other tablet or portable device increases its sales by 9X … get where I am going with this?

And really there is no way to know for sure on much of any of it. Its a cloudy picture. People that buy Vita or 3DS don’t do so for phone service. And yet not all people that buy smart phones or even tablets do so for gaming. It boils down to apples(no pun intended) vs oranges.

Nintendo is now boasting record 3DS first year sales. Great, but how many year one sales did the new ipad have? Or the new iphone? Or the new Samsung Galaxy? Or the whatever…

The fact is that dedicated handheld systems have been competing against other mobile devices for years. And the fact is that both the deicated handheld and the said mobile devices often over lap the same demographics and markets. It is VERY hard to know just how much market share is being won or lost on either side.

Of course sales numbers will be up across the board. More people are out there to buy these products then there was 10 years ago. It would be like thinking back to the older days when a million sales guarenteed profits, a sequel, and over all sucsess. Take a game today, it can do a million sales, and loose money. A top game today can sell 20plus Million, and still be second or thrid to behind another game.

Why? Because the market is bigger today. Samething goes for game hardware, handheld or not. Its not about hard numbers, its more about %s, and those are very hard to figure out.

The only reason I posted this was because everyone seems to be asking if Vita will be sucsesful. Yes, I believe it will. Same as I believe 3DS will. Will they stop the iOS/Andriod boom? No I don’t think so. Infact I doubt either system even makes a dent or slows down mobile sales. No one in mobile is going to look back at this year and ask why the sales dip/slump and then remember “oh yea thats when 3DS/Vita launched”.

44. Christopher Jack

More comparable to an iPod than a smartphone, $50 more for something as powerful as the 6th gen iPod touch with a focus on gaming but also just as capable with other media tasks.

45. Da Man

#44 – iPod Touch 4 costs less than $200.

I agree that it shouldn’t be compared against smartphones, it ‘ll be a very niche device. Because funny really, other than nerds and kids noones ‘s going to buy this instead of a Samsung Galaxy or an iPod or whatnot. People won’t carry a computer toy around which can as well do similar tasks, they won’t be going to bars or night clubs with an effin playstation and two analog sticks ffs, lol.

46. absolutezero

Who the fucking fuck would carry a phone and an Ipod.

Thats just madness. Utter madness.

I totally play games on my phone in night clubs though, makes me look aloof. Also calling people nerds on a dedicated video game website. I love you Man.

This is all personnal but I would never ever base my opinion on whether to buy a handheld on not on the fact that I own a smartphone. I don’t know anyone else who would either.

47. Da Man

I don’t know who would, which is why I said ‘or’. Sales of iPods dropped dramatically in the last year. Which only proves my point btw, very few ‘re going to buy this as a media device.

Good for you? Because I never do unrelated tasks together. And I’m pretty sure those playing videogames in night clubs are few and between, wtf are you even doing there then??

I don’t think anyone visiting a news website about videogames is a nerd.

48. absolutezero

My friend carries an ipod touch and a phone around.

I was being churlish. tee hee.

49. DrDamn

Nice article Pat. Some people need to look past the “it’s not something I would want, so why would anyone else?”. It’s a lovely piece of kit and when picking mine up yesterday and wandering around shops looking for accessories I was impressed with the very positive vibe around it from people who have tried it.

Just to address a couple of things. It’s not going to beat iPad sales or compete on game pricing there – but it’s not meant to. It’s a mobile gaming device, it’s not trying to be for everyone or even the majority. It’s trying to be a very good mobile gaming device and here it works very well. That also means if you don’t need a mobile gaming device because you are happy with console/PC gaming + phones for when you are out and about then it’s not targeted at you. That, believe it or not, is one of it’s strengths.

One the machine itself. One of the most impressive aspects is how well thought through and socially integrated the OS is. Not just oh it does Facebook and Twitter, but cunning stuff like notifications on trophies and events from your friends list. It’s autolog like functionality take to the OS level. Ignorable if you don’t want it, but fantastic if you do. One of Sony’s weaknesses – software, OS functionality and integration – is a real strength here.