Ex-SWTOR developers reveal The Banner Saga

Sunday, 19th February 2012 23:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

What do you do after making one of the biggest games of the year? You make the game you want to play: The Banner Saga.

Arnie Jorgensen, Alex Thomas and John Watson left BioWare after five years as lead developers on Star Wars: The Old Republic, to work on a passion project combining their love of good art, story and strategy, at the newly-founded Stoic Games.

The game’s website describes it as “role-playing meets turn-based strategy, wrapped into an adventure mini-series about vikings” and mentioned “landscapes straight out of an animated film” and “painstakingly hand-animated foes”.

“It will include BioWare-style dialog, exploration of gorgeously painted landscapes, and turn-based strategic combat,” Watson told The Indie Game Magazine.

“The story is compelling and epic, and your choices will dramatically affect the outcome of the story.”

The Banner Saga will release in two parts. The first, due in northern spring, will be a free, multiplayer combat title. A full, story- and exploration-driven version will release in northern autumn, as a paid, standalone title.

1. Talkar

Awesome!
    As long as the vikings won’t have horns on their helmets, i will be looking forward to see more of this game.

2. TheWulf

I’m sorry, but that’s really, really funny. Let me preface this by saying that this is nothing against these guys, nothing at all, but this just tickled my funny bone.

See: TOR has been known for WoW-like wanton banning, Bioware have actually been quite reckless with their bans to the point of needing to lift some of them and apologise. They’ve gone all out with their nuclear banhammer.

Now these nice people have TOR behind to create… the Banner saga.

Really?

I’m absolutely amazed it isn’t April 1st right now, because that would be the best April Fools ever.

3. GrimRita

@2 These guys are developers and have nothing to do with the ‘banning’ on their forums. Thats down to an OP Community Team who need to justify their wages because they are doing fuck all else right now

4. Logic Incarnate

@3 I think you missed the joke. Also the art style reminds me of the Dragon Age 2 facebook game.

5. GrimRita

Oh I see the joke ;)

6. TheWulf

I’m more than well aware of that, believe me! That’s why I said that I meant no harm by it, and I honestly didn’t. It’s just that they were related to Bioware and Bioware was responsible for one of the most ban-happy MMOs since WoW.

So these guys quit one of the most ban-happy MMOs since WoW to create a game named Banner Saga. I’m sorry, but I find that funny. I’m not being mean to them, nor am I implying that they had anything to do with the bans (I know they didn’t). I’m half wondering, quite frankly, if they are taking the piss. I wouldn’t doubt it.

And I don’t mean that in a bad way, either. I could see a lead developer leaving Bioware, disenfranchised, and then naming their game as something that’s a dig at their former employer. If they actually did this intentionally then… well, I see what you did there, guys.

If not, it’s still funny.