CDP: The Witcher 2 to release on Xbox 360 on April 17

Thursday, 26th January 2012 18:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CD Projekt has announced its console adaptation of The Witcher 2 will be released on Xbox 360 April 17.

The RPG, originally released for PC last year, will contain combat controls specifically optimized for the Xbox 360 controller, along with three additional hours of quest content in the form of two new adventures for Act 3. Three new characters will also be introduced in the extra content, which will also be making its way onto PC as a free download.

Witcher 2 on 360 will also include all previous content released for PC, as well as the “Dark” difficulty setting and Arena mode.

New screenshost are below along with the boxart.

1. minxamo

I saw a few comparison screenshots a while ago between the 2 versions, and the xbox 360 version is looking really good, the only noticeable difference was slightly lower resolution textures.

2. fearmonkey

I’m excited and I will most certainly be getting this :)

3. davidkenobi

US date ?

4. Sadismek

I’m glad such a good RPG will be available to more and more people, but I can’t stop wondering how many Xbox owners will buy a game that appeared last year?

5. Moonwalker1982

I watched the live conference and was VERY happy to see that it will come out in april, great to finally have a release date.

I know what you mean….i fear that it won’t sell crazy either, people DO buy a COD every year, and it contains ZERO new stuff, and a great game comes along now and then…and….well..nothing is certain yet,but i can see it happening.

I keep talking about this game to my friends who all love a great RPG too, so i’ll make sure they will get it as well. Last year i was almost getting a brand new PC to play Witcher 2 on it, but just for one game…nah! I never really play games on PC anymore..so i was incredibly happy when the announced it for 360.

6. Maximum Payne

Box art is cool
    I really hope it sell at least half mill.

7. Sadismek

It actually looks really good! Too bad I only have a PC and a PS3, otherwise I would buy this. I’m really interested of how it’ll sell.

8. Talkar

I think it is cool how CDP has handled this game. First no DRM, then god knows how many pieces of DLC, all released for free! And there is even coming more as described in the article! Damn i love CDP xD

9. DSB

@8 I mostly agree, but they did actually launch with DRM anywhere but GOG.com.

That was a little disappointing, but at least they took it out really fast.

They’ve also had a bit if trouble supporting it on Steam, with the three or four different patches borking eachother up on new installs.

They’ve finally gotten around to bundling them like they should’ve done to begin with, but it essentially left the game unplayable for some.

So not a perfect score on how they’ve handled it, but it’s a classic game, and easily the best action RPG I’ve played. Their writers are the best in the business, except for maybe Faliszek and Wolpaw.

10. minxamo

Those are bullshots, where’s that AA coming from?

11. FeaturePreacher

Good for CD Projekt. This seems like a good way to combat all the problems they’ve had with pirating of the pc version. I wouldn’t be surprised if their next project has 360 as the lead sku.

12. Talkar

They didn’t have more pirated copies than every other PC game, hell, it isn’t even on the list of most pirated games, Crysis 2 was pirated more!

13. badboy_122

@ 11
    ” next project has 360 as the lead sku ”

LOL

keep dreaming dude ..

14. Moonwalker1982

Just so good to see a true ‘hardcore’ and different RPG out there. This year really is the year of RPG, and its awesome. RPG is my fav genre by far.

15. DSB

I’m pretty sure the build that Crytek let out early has everything to do with Crysis 2 being high on the list.

Generally I think “piracy statistics” are extremely annoying, probably because of the way they’re used, completely without any kind of verification or transparency. It’s like listening to Pachter and Pals in my opinion.

I mean CD Projekt claims to have sold like 1.000.000 copies. That’s pretty low for such a good game, and I hope it isn’t a result of leaving out DRM. They claim that the game has been pirated something like 5 million times, so that would put it ahead of Crysis 2 on the list you’re quoting Talkar, which brings me back to the original point:

No one seems to know how big of a problem piracy is, nobody seems to be able to tell how much it actually costs the industry, and given that people talk about it so much in spite of that, without actually backing the argument with research, it makes me think that people are pretty happy with no one knowing.

“Because piracy” can be an explanation for a lot of things. Especially if refrain from any attempt to elaborate on what it actually means.

“Why didn’t I get that e-mail?”. “Because piracy”

“Why is my coffee so hot?”. “Because piracy”

“Why is Johnny Depp so cool?”. “Because piracy”

“Why are NATO patrolling off the coast of Somalia?”. “Because Piracy”

“Why isn’t this game selling more?”. “Because piracy”

And everybody’s just nodding their head, going “Yup, makes sense, yup”.

16. Ireland Michael

@14 It’s a great game, but it is far from a “hardcore” RPG.

17. DSB

Depends on the definition of the word hardcore doesn’t it? :P

I’d love to hear lots of definitions on that, because it’s one of the most overused fallacies in gaming today.

Although that mostly applies to the term “hardcore gamer”. (Is that when you show your genitals while you game?)

There were some parts of The Witcher 2 that were quite challenging, and well beyond most of the conveniences of modern games. I got killed something like three times in the very first fight. That’s partly down to the lack of a tutorial obviously, but there are quite a few parts of the game that doesn’t allow for many mistakes.

I loved it personally, but does it make it a hardcore RPG? Hardcore RPGs to me involve huge character systems and dice rolls. It was a challenging action RPG though, and that made me respect it a lot more.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 I’ve never seen “hard” and “hardcore” as being even remotely the same thing.

To me, “hardcore” is a term to explain a game that is very deeply entrenched in its genre’s mechanics. A “hardcore” RPG would be an RPG with deep skill customisation through skill trees, levelling and whatever else, lots of stats and numbers to mull over, and lots of gear or items to collect.

This is my idea of a hardcore RPG.

I’ve always hated the term “hardcore game”. It’s trying too hard. I use the term “core gamer” and “casual gamer” to define the difference between someone who plays games as an infrequent distraction and someone who plays them as a consistent hobby.

19. Moonwalker1982

Well let’s just say….it’s no Fable, which is a very very VERY good thing. I guess i should have called it a ‘Hardcore action RPG’ cause that Disgae looks like a strategy RPG, and that stuff ain’t my thing :D

20. YoungZer0

“Extra in-game movies, a new intro and end-game cinematics directed by Polish director and Oscar nominee Tomasz Baginski were also added – as previously reported. Additional end-game movies which will summarize the player’s choices throughout the game have also been added.”

Will this also find its way into the PC Version? Because the ending (or lack of) was the only thing i didn’t like about this amazing game.

21. ManuOtaku

I will be getting this for sure, just to support the developers, if the game really turns out to be good, like many people indicated in the above comments, then thas a plus for me.

22. jdfoster00

Lookforward to the PS3 release too. 4 disks though… Just shows how much a next gen console is needed… Was good on pc enjoyed it.