Pachter: “Nintendo doesn’t even know there’s an Internet yet”

Tuesday, 24th January 2012 00:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter believes that cloud gaming won’t kill consoles altogether, but that Nintendo is most likely to suffer through the transition.

Speaking on a panel at CES 2012, as reported by IndustryGamers, Pachter assessed eahc of the three major gaming platform holders for their ability to keep consoles relevant as streamed content becomes more common.

“Sony is a content provider in film and music and games; I think they’re ahead of the curve. Microsoft… They’re right back on track. These guys want to be an entertainment hub. So you’re going to get a box out of Microsoft that’s going to turn your washer and dryer on, and they’re going to give you the multi-purpose console of all time,” he said.

“Nintendo doesn’t even know there’s an Internet yet so trust me, they’re going to be making consoles until someone explains it to them.”

The analyst also outlined his argument for the continued existence of consoles, drawing an analogy with ongoing sales of CDs.

“You’re never gonna have a step function, where every game developer, every publisher says ‘Screw it, we’re putting everything in the cloud, on OnLive,’” he said.

“So as long as there’s somebody who is going to buy a game console, and buy a game in that format, then consoles will continue. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo have a vested interest in their core royalty business: getting people to put content on their platforms.”

1. LOLshock94

thats funny cause i swear i was playing mario kart with people from Sweden…

2. xino

He’s talking about online experience man.
    That is the part Nintendo lacks.

why the hell should people still be using some long ass code number just to add someone? wtf are we in the 60s using binary digits to add?

let’s hope they step their game up because I still doubt “online” is where Nintendo needs to brush up!

3. Razor

“Sony is a content provider in film and music and games; I think they’re ahead of the curve. ”

Sony is behind every single curve imaginable.

4. OlderGamer

@Razor esp where the internet is concerned. Try as I will, I can not fully embrace PSN. I m even a plus member and I don’t like it. Tho to be fair, i am not a fan of MSs new dash either, felt like a step back for gamers and step forward for marketing.

5. ManuOtaku

So he wants a gaming console that stops being a game console and more a jack of all trades, dont get me wrong i like to have those options thats power to us the consumers, but something tells me that sometimes sony and microsoft are really hard trying to be more than a gaming console and go other directions that maybe will lessen the focus on gaming, i hope is not the case, and call me old fashion, but i prefer a gaming console dedicated at its core to gaming, not to other things, for other things i have my tablet, computer, ipod, etc.

And i do also disagree with him, because for me the 3DS has been a great improvement from nintendo in the internet department, and if EA comments on the Wii U that will be open to devs to decide the online asppect of their games, i think nintendo is on the right track, not on the same level as sony and microsoft, i grant that, but they are getting good with this, not the best , but good and thats fine in my book.