Dreadnought DLC releasing for Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine next week

Wednesday, 18th January 2012 19:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

THQ has announced the second downloadable content pack for Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, The Dreadnought, will be released later this month on PS3, Steam, and Xbox 360.

The pack adds a new multiplayer mode called Dreadnought Assault,, where both teams battle to capture a central location on the map and the winners spawn a player controlled Dreadnought. The Dreadnought is armed with: an Assault/Auto Cannon, a Meltagun and a Power Fist/Claw and must capture points across the map to score points for their team.

Once the Dreadnought is destroyed a new spawn point will appear.

The DLC also includes three new multiplayer maps Desolation, Dome Mechanicus and Chem Refinery, as well as new achievements and trophies.

Alongside the DLC, THQ will be releasing the Iron Hands and Death Guard skin packs for 240 Microsoft Points/$2.99.

In addition, all Space Marine players will receive a new multiplayer Capture and Control Mode for free. Playable on all the game’s multiplayer maps, this team-based mode challenges players to capture and defend locations around the map to score points.

The Dreadnought DLC will release on January 25 in the US and Europe for $9.99/ 800 Microsoft Points.

1. LOLshock94

multiplayer on this game is good, shame the campaign is shit

2. DSB

Even without this, they’re already up to 20 euros worth of junk DLC for a 50 euro game.

It’s really no wonder THQ are doing so poorly.

3. Edo

#1 Looks like your writing skills ain’t much better.

4. LOLshock94

what swrong wiht my rwightnig?

5. NeoSquall

I’m sorry you don’t have the required knowledge to appreciate the campaign, LOLshock94.

6. LOLshock94

@5 sorry pal that i dont no anything about nerdhammer but the campaign is not even fun but the amount of nerdyness in game my head was full of fuck

7. NeoSquall

Being a Space Marine isn’t supposed to be fun.

Being a Space Marine is about being one of the most powerful humans alive, a walking tank who is Death incarnate for the enemies of Mankind whose fists shall shatter bones and concrete, whose running shall quake the earth beneath him.

And in that, Relic has done a damn fine job: you have that power, you have that strenght, you can do the awesome deeds that one could only imagine while playing the tabletop.

8. TheWulf

Actually, the Space Marines in this game are nothing at all like the actual WH40k ones. I mean, really, in the actual Universe they tend to be merciless, unreasonable, xenophobic bastards. It’s only incredibly rare that you get a decent one. And the Inquisition is ten times worse than that. The prime philosophy of the Inquisition being: “Why kill the alien? Rather ask, why not?”

It was actually nice playing as a Space Marine that didn’t seem entirely brainwashed for a change, even doing a bit to break the brainwashing/doctorine that his little companion was spouting. It was kind of refreshing, to be honest. But then, everything Relic has done with WH40k has been good. Ha, bet you thought I was going to slam this game – but, no, I’m not, I like it. And I like the rest of Relic’s stuff, too.

In Dawn of War, Relic did a lot to set aside the fact that in WH40k lore, the races are basically stereotypes. With the orks being the stupid people, the humans being the insidious evil, chaos being the obvious evil, and the tau being the penultimate force of good. Well, the tau didn’t look so good with the horrible things they did in Dawn of War, which made tau fetishists flip a shit. (I appreciated that.)

Really, Relic has done a lot to add some depth to WH40k, and I’m hoping that Space Marine won’t be their last WH40k game.

9. Edo

#4 Nothing if you’re dyslexic…and if you are then my bad.

10. NeoSquall

@8 More like we should hope Space Marine won’t be a single shot iteration in the TPS genre.
    We already know Relic is working on DoW 3 in some ways, they should make the official announcement at next E3 or GDC, unless Danny Bilson spills the beans earlier in a drunken rage.

11. TheWulf

Agreed.

I do like what they did with Space Marine, I think that perhaps their priorities were just a bit off. Not to mention that the pacing could have been better. They tend to play all their cards near the start and never use them again.

For example – the jump pack should have made a number of reappearances.

I still think that they can have another go at it though and learn from past mistakes. I do think that Space Marine was a pretty good and enjoyable game for all intents and purposes, but there is room for improvement. And I agree with you, I really hope that they’re given that chance to grow.

The current financial state of THQ is worrying really, so they may not have another chance at that for a while, and that’s really sad.

Oh, and plus I’d love to see them do the same thing with the orks.

I can’t see that happening, but I can dream.

12. viralshag

I loved Space Marine. Still like to jump in from time to time. I pray for a sequel or at least some decent SP DLC to finish the story.